Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #161
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
Right. Pujols should have stayed at third or OF he has no business at 1st! Arod should have stayed at short! What was the Brewers thinking by putting Yount in CF? Don’t they know players should only be designed to play certain positions only like the tournament PT version! MLB needs to know the OOTP position only! Major League Baseball has it all wrong!
In MLB, history has not yet been written. In PT, it has. If PT wants to offer a fictional mode, that would be different.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #162
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
You can play players anywhere you want in tournaments. Nothing stopping you!

That was not the point. The question was, will my defense suffer in tournaments because I put a capable SS at 2b or 3b even though he didn’t play there according to my default card?

Of course, I believe the answer is, this is a card game, not a baseball game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:33 PM   #163
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
That was not the point. The question was, will my defense suffer in tournaments because I put a capable SS at 2b or 3b even though he didn’t play there according to my default card?

Of course, I believe the answer is, this is a card game, not a baseball game.

It's a game and this forces hard decisions. I'd prefer that over easy mode, you are free to like whatever you want.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:36 PM   #164
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
In MLB, history has not yet been written. In PT, it has. If PT wants to offer a fictional mode, that would be different.

MLB history is apparently fictional since some players can play multiple positions but 83 Ripken played 162 games at short, so don’t put him anywhere else!

Old 11-15-2019, 01:41 PM   #165
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
It's a game and this forces hard decisions. I'd prefer that over easy mode, you are free to like whatever you want.

Actually it forces me to spend more points for tournament players since I trained players to cover other positions.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:52 PM   #166
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
MLB history is apparently fictional since some players can play multiple positions but 83 Ripken played 162 games at short, so don’t put him anywhere else!

A single-season card is based on history. He could have played somewhere else, but he didn't, therefore he is rated based on where he did play.

Maybe he could have hit more homeruns or for a better average, should you be able to boost his other ratings over time too? Start 200 games in the lead-off spot, gain a point of contact rating!
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #167
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
A single-season card is based on history. He could have played somewhere else, but he didn't, therefore he is rated based on where he did play.

Maybe he could have hit more homeruns or for a better average, should you be able to boost his other ratings over time too? Start 200 games in the lead-off spot, gain a point of contact rating!
And dead ball era players would have hit more home runs if they had played with the 2019 regular season version of the baseball!

What? Dead ball era hitters already get ridiculously high power ratings simply because their 5 home runs lead their league? Never mind...

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:09 PM   #168
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Actually it forces me to spend more points for tournament players since I trained players to cover other positions.

Yes it does, hard decisions instead training Honus Wagner to play everywhere and cover everything.

By the way, not trying to fight about this, just discussing it. I can see why some people would like it but to me it doesn't add anything positive to the game.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #169
Morgans Magic
Minors (Single A)

One idea I have about incentivizing the better players to limit their participation in the lower stakes tourneys they can more easily win -- enact a limit on the number of tourneys one can win/pace/show in a given day. Not going to guess at a formula, but if you knew the number of positive outcomes were hard-bracketed, common-sense would dictate limiting participation in lower-return-but-more-frequent games.

Incidentally, it's in some sense why poker players migrate from low-stakes-but-consistent-"table"-play to tournaments with lower chance of win, but better ROI so far as time/effort.
Morgans Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #170
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Future Legends cards aside?

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #171
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgans Magic View Post
One idea I have about incentivizing the better players to limit their participation in the lower stakes tourneys they can more easily win -- enact a limit on the number of tourneys one can win/pace/show in a given day. Not going to guess at a formula, but if you knew the number of positive outcomes were hard-bracketed, common-sense would dictate limiting participation in lower-return-but-more-frequent games.

Incidentally, it's in some sense why poker players migrate from low-stakes-but-consistent-"table"-play to tournaments with lower chance of win, but better ROI so far as time/effort.
A restriction on winning tournaments might be the dumbest idea yet.

No one is playing bronze or silver tournaments for the ROI because they really want to win a few packs or 1000 PP. It's just fun to use some different players.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:38 PM   #172
Morgans Magic
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
A restriction on winning tournaments might be the dumbest idea yet.

No one is playing bronze or silver tournaments for the ROI because they really want to win a few packs or 1000 PP. It's just fun to use some different players.

OK Whale. Maybe they could use different players in Gold and 1700 Cap and Diamond instead.
Morgans Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #173
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

I'm really digging the different eras.

In the current 1930's Silver Historical tourney, my 79 Eckersley struck out 19 in 8 innings. And he doesn't lead the league. 75 Jack Morris struck out 21 in a complete game loss! That would be a new MLB record. Bill Lee and Denny McLain both pitched 20k games. And we're only in the 1st round.

Renfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:05 PM   #174
bailey
Hall Of Famer

I voted for training, but I'm fine with non-training. The pro-trainers have the regular season and the anti-trainers have tournaments. Like DH in AL and no-DH in NL. Perfect.

It's forced me to look at cards deep in my inventory which was a good thing because I found quite a few nuggets hiding there.
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:16 PM   #175
diamond3017
Minors (Single A)

I voted for training.

My rationale was that cards I spent a bunch of time training in lower levels of PT (e.g. Live Mondesi/Albies at all non-C positions, or Live Donaldson at C) that had stopped being useful to me in Perfect League would become great versatile cards for tournament play.

Just my $.02, I'm fine with the result if that's what the majority of users wanted.

diamond3017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #176
Jackgoboom
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
That result baffles me...

It's a terrible result. Do I now need to track down all the cards' vanilla version to see what their defensive ratings used to be? Do I need another excel sheet?

Sometimes this playerbase indeed *baffles* me.
The poll only represented a proportion of the player base. With a higher percentage of those who are a bit more hardcore and invested in the game.

That subset of the player base are also more likely to have more cards, thus the need for training is less, and a few players have cards they don't normally use that they can now experiment with.

So we end up with no training. I would have preferred training in, but it is what it is. My main point being, the general player base is probably innocent your honour
Jackgoboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #177
steamrollers
Minors (Single A)

Got going on the tourneys a bit late in the week but after having entered several now it is very clear it is basically a total crapshoot for the most part. There have been some absolutely dreadful teams that have went on to win quite a few of the tourneys I have been in. I don't know why anyone would be complaining about whales entering low end tourneys just to grab some PP when the best team almost never wins. I imagine some great teams are winning in lots of the open/no restrictions tourneys which are a bit out of my range.
steamrollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:49 PM   #178
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamrollers View Post
Got going on the tourneys a bit late in the week but after having entered several now it is very clear it is basically a total crapshoot for the most part. There have been some absolutely dreadful teams that have went on to win quite a few of the tourneys I have been in. I don't know why anyone would be complaining about whales entering low end tourneys just to grab some PP when the best team almost never wins. I imagine some great teams are winning in lots of the open/no restrictions tourneys which are a bit out of my range.
In fairness, having entered tournaments starting on Tuesday, I have 12 wins in the silver 16s in maybe 40ish entries. I know another guy who has 15 wins in 50 or so tries in the same format. A good team wins regularly.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:18 PM   #179
Jackgoboom
Minors (Single A)

I gotta say Im not totally convinced by the total realism argument. Especially when you consider for example, that we have had rookie live cards coming into the game as perfects, and live pitchers suck at the higher levels of play.

We are using guys that generally never played together. Do we really think that if you have two elite shortstops that can hit, one plays and the other goes to the bench? No you move one to 2b or 3b.

If the card has the stats to play a certain position I don't see the problem with them being able to train to do so.
Jackgoboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:02 AM   #180
The_Savage_1
Minors (Double A)

The no training decision is a real kick in the teeth to those that have now wasted all that time, PP and performance inefficiencies preparing for tournaments. The fact that tournaments were delayed so long only exacerbates this.

Further, for a poll that was non-binding and for "research purposes" to be so close on such a small sample and short time (and frankly subject to manipulation by just one person) to be used as justification to completely change the training structure only adds salt to the wounds.

I have no issue with no training in general, although I'd probably prefer it be allowed, but IMO that change shoud have happened for PT21 and should be consistent between PT and tournaments.

Last edited by The_Savage_1; 11-16-2019 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Correct spelling
The_Savage_1 is offline   Reply With Quote