Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 07-15-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
Ahdharr
Bat Boy

Free Agent Contracts not making sense?

Wanted to clarify something. Having a Greed of like 20 means the player is going to demand less than 100 correct? (if all other personality traits are the same?) Had situation where a low greed player said at each step they would prefer my team repeatedly after another team ups the bid (high desire for winner (like 180s) I just won the WS). I went along with a rebid twice, and they said again they'd prefer playing for me but upped the ante again wanting more per/year money. I offered more money and years, just a bit less per year.

The player is 31. I offered 6y/145-155m they kept pushing for 5 years ~125-140m does the game have the AI recognize the fact that high salary for more years post 30 would be desirable? This was for a SP too. Kind of miffed given the push as of late for free agents is to get that extra year if they can get it added on, especially pitchers.

Last edited by Ahdharr; 07-15-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Ahdharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Is the AI still outbidding you?
The Average Annual Value is probably the problem. Do you have any options in your offer?
Old 07-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

that's not 100% the player's fault, that's other teams bidding, too...

low greed doesn't mean they turn money away, it means they value it less than normal. it won't make them impervious to bidding wars, but maybe he waits less time for that 'last' potential bid. different ways to achieve it, maybe not the way you are perceiving how it works, though.

just in case: don't nickel and dime negotiations... if you get outbid, do a little research on the financial health of that bidder, then guesstimate how high they are going to go... if worth it, don't be cheap, otherwise break it off.

if you just barely surpass the last bid, it's just going to keep going and going until one team exhausts available resources, so might as well skip to the end.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:32 AM   #4
Ahdharr
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
that's not 100% the player's fault, that's other teams bidding, too...

low greed doesn't mean they turn money away, it means they value it less than normal. it won't make them impervious to bidding wars, but maybe he waits less time for that 'last' potential bid. different ways to achieve it, maybe not the way you are perceiving how it works, though.

just in case: don't nickel and dime negotiations... if you get outbid, do a little research on the financial health of that bidder, then guesstimate how high they are going to go... if worth it, don't be cheap, otherwise break it off.

if you just barely surpass the last bid, it's just going to keep going and going until one team exhausts available resources, so might as well skip to the end.
Ah gotcha. Might have been incrementalism hosing me over then. Was kind of frustrating when it wasn't a 5 star or even one of the top two....but they ended up getting biggest contract, lol.

Are AI players somehow reluctant to take more years? Seems really strange if I pushed for 1-2 years longer of about the same per year amount and getting turned down. :/

As to the first reply, the players specifically ASKED for the 5th year as a team option...with no buy out....was really weird imo. So I repeated with it as both a option and contract year. No bites. Was probably incremental, and yeah Per year was slightly lower. You'd think they would have it set up where a 30+ player getting extra years and overall more money might jump at it, as that's usually a sticking point for pitchers these days is getting that one more year even if its a mil or two less per year (if we are talking them 10+m/yr types, seems to be a thing that clinches a deal)
Ahdharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

yeah, if you deviate from their 'wants' you better pay for it somewhere else ....+/-1 year you can usually do no problem... ~3 and they may deny it altogether. *** i lower max years to 7 in financial settings to benefit the AI (flexibility).

no trade clause or more money or whatever. i often chop out bonuses, too... makes financial planning tougher when they exist. doesn't hurt much... or if i know they won't win mvp, i'll bump it all into that category and avoid teh ASG bonuses like the plague.

they will likey value the term they initially asked for over any other term. (sometiems the demand can change while offering different packages, always be relative to that newest demand, what they asked for 2minutes ago is inconsequentil if it changes)

it uses basic market forces as they somewhat work in real life - supply vs demand.... some FA years will be cheaper than others in OOTP just like in RL. sometimes a 'lesser' player will be teh highest paid player, too... (again, if you think about it (and familiar) ,this happens in all 4 major pro sports in the USA at anytime for similar reasons).

Last edited by NoOne; 07-17-2017 at 12:35 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #6
Danius
Minors (Double A)

I would say greed only matters when you are the only one (or one of very few) bidding. If you want a player to stay for a lower cost than other teams are offering, you should be looking more at the loyalty. Low greed works well for you while players are signing their first contracts, or up for arbitration. You might be able to get your low-greed superstar shortstop for $4 million for 7 years in his 4th MLB season, whereas his value to the market could be $6-7 million per year or even more. A high-greed player may want $8-10 million/year.
Danius is offline   Reply With Quote