Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 09-11-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
Acuna Matata
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Notes, Depth charts and Trades

Keep finding myself tempted to become more organised on the game and want to make notes to try and bring together an organisation wide living depth chart but so far a notepad and pen is as far as ive got.
As the game world moves so fast then the clerical method becomes unworkable very quickly.
In fact i di remember in the player development screen that there is a similar concept of the best players at each position shown but they are out if their minor league level order which makes it less useful for future planning than the ideal.
Im trying to improve my efficiency in creating a conveyor belt that produces (as closely as possible) exactly what i need as close to when i need it as possible.
The reason i dont want too much surplus at each position is that im still findng my feet with being able to get the best out of trading away my spare parts. More often than not when i try to shop them around i either get no takers or the same old off cuts from other teams being offered up for trade.
Maybe its just me but the only decent players i ever seem to get back in a trade are relief pitchers, and now im bursting at the gills with them so i guess ill need to figure out how to structure trades more enticingly.
Again any insights here would be truly valued.
Acuna Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Player List (your team's) - Minor League Players (subsection of player list).

is that under roster and transactions? should be enough to find it.

then, make some custom filters... by level, by position etc... whatever you want

then, make some custom views. make sure 'level' is included if you want to be able to sort by level and filter by position etc... if too much stuff, use 'short name' and maybe remove 'inf' column or other things not in use for you. e.g. whiel i do take a close look at splits, i do not list handedness, because i avoid platoons like the plague. if they can't play against both, i don't bother wit them... that means i can remove that column from view. i don't care which 'team' they are on, but i do keep short level name. i can get batters and pitching potential on one readable view for MiL players (the ratings i care about)

shortlists can help too. as far as minor league players i have 2 shortlists for players in my organization. Keepers and Trade Away (the trade away list can include mlb players too, some overlap there) i may only have a few keepers at certain points and more at others. players that are part of my future plans -- even if 'currently' that means 2 SS in minors developing... whichever makes it/scouted accurately etc... eventually one will fall off list to trade or whatever when a choice can* be made. *not necessarily when you promote to mlb, but can take that long.

don't trade for 'extra' RP. they are the worst trade assets of any position. you need rp depths, go ahead and accumulate it, of course, but only what you need. the elite guys and the right trade partner needs can make a few of them valueable. few and far between out of total pie

i also do the conveyor belt method

it's better they arrive early, because you can always trade the current player for more future assets. if you religiously trade your vets by 29-32 or so, you will have an endless cavalcade of high-quality prospects marching through minors. if they arrive late, you are in trouble or need to speend wastefully on a FA.

you can speed up the process and sign/use/trade FA before they get old, but that's a bit cheesy for some people, if this done in an abusive way to the spirit of the game. early on you augment a lot more with smart FA signings. later on it might be occasionally to fill a gap, but even that can be avoided.

trading any decent player is a better return than a compensation pick. only settle for a comp. pick for a player in severe decline or somehow not tradeable, like TCR.

trading for high-quality prospects is expensive. expect to trade multiple good players. shop helps, and improved this year, but just looking at a teams weaknesses on trade screen and matching up what you got will do wonders too. find a few equivalent targets... compare what it takes to get each and make the best decision.

a bunch of RP will never get you anythign in return, unfortunately... so, what you've accumulated so far has hurt you a bit as far as tradeable value.

Last edited by NoOne; 09-12-2018 at 12:30 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:53 AM   #3
Acuna Matata
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Found the tab you mentioned and setting it up so the custom stats i want are in place has been a massive timesaver.
I must admit until you’d mentioned this i was unaware of how to customise stat screens in the game but now im all over it.
I thought there had to be a way to do as i’ve been organising info that way in Football Manager for a while and even though i love FM i feel OOTP is in general a deeper game as so many more categories of useful stats exist in baseball than currently exist in football management games.
It may well be that may change with stats like XG and Offensive Value coming into mainstream football analysis so there might soon be little to choose between them.
Acuna Matata is offline   Reply With Quote