Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #21
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Stats only is a great way to play. It doesn't really take that much more time, once you get a handle on what you're looking for...or at least what pieces of the game you're planning to accentuate. It's got a limited audience, though. Which is a shame, really. Shrug.
RonCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:17 AM   #22
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
What stats to people find most useful?

For pitchers, I like era+ & war

For batters, I like ops+ and war.
For pitchers in opponent average and WHIP. The latter is a big one for me, how many baserunners is this jerk going to saddle me with?

For batters it's OBP all the way. I favor small ball play in OOTP.

In defense it's ZR only.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:56 PM   #23
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

To me, playing stats-only strongly values a scan of all stats and requires/values a reasonable placement of all in their best context in order to ascertain a best-guess on the player's actual ratings. So why would you not look at everything you could look at?
Old 09-13-2017, 07:01 PM   #24
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by udbacker58 View Post
You could always join our league......we will help you learn stats only
How many stats-only online leagues are there? I've never really looked at that. That's a pretty pure way to play...one of my first online leagues was stats only. No GM/AI to mess things up.

Much fun. Really doesn't take any more (or less) time to play IMHO...but then, when I play, I play. There is never enough time to look at everything I want to look at.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #25
RightBack2
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
What stats to people find most useful?

For pitchers, I like era+ & war

For batters, I like ops+ and war.

Pitchers K/BB ratio, BABIP, and WHIP
Hitters +wRC, OPS+, and all fielding stats
RightBack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:56 PM   #26
stevem810
All Star Starter

A touch of inspiration

After I read this thread I decided to flip the switches in my fictional league and have converted to stats only. I took over a 5th place team (2 six team leagues) and after a month we're in last (but, 3-14 in one run games so there is hope). The events list has the rookie draft on the horizon. That will be interesting, but, yeah, so far it's been fun.

I am in a handful of leagues and am a commish, only of a small league and have actually put out an inquiry for a stats only league (see related post in OOTP 18 Leagues). Knowing this type of league is somewhat limited I still hope to land a franchise if I can find the right one for me.

Anyway, thanks to those that have posted here....good informational thread.
stevem810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #27
wishesgrantd
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Stats only is the only way I play. I've been playing with it since OOTP 16. I found myself only going after players with 5 stars and amazing ratings so I use stats only to make the game a little harder for me. I love it. For me, my records year to year are that of an actual MLB team. I don't consistently win 100 games. Every year is different and sometimes I'll miss the playoffs. I fell in love with stats only after my first ever sim with it. It was actually my longest sim ever and I recreated it in 18 and decided to start from the same point and do it over again. It gets me closer to the players since I'm constantly digging into their stats and especially their advanced stats and I know what's going on around the league more.
wishesgrantd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #28
USF
All Star Starter

Steve I sent you a note we are going to start up something with a great concept, I can share with you on Slack just message me there.

IF anyone else wants IN contact me ASAP

USF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:19 AM   #29
stevem810
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishesgrantd View Post
Stats only is the only way I play. I've been playing with it since OOTP 16. I found myself only going after players with 5 stars and amazing ratings so I use stats only to make the game a little harder for me. I love it. For me, my records year to year are that of an actual MLB team. I don't consistently win 100 games. Every year is different and sometimes I'll miss the playoffs. I fell in love with stats only after my first ever sim with it. It was actually my longest sim ever and I recreated it in 18 and decided to start from the same point and do it over again. It gets me closer to the players since I'm constantly digging into their stats and especially their advanced stats and I know what's going on around the league more.
I'm curious what tools you use for the rookie draft with absolutely no ratings available. I'm guessing the HS/College Stats and the recommendation of a 'competent' scout with some amateur player assessment skills. Do you use any info beyond the above?
stevem810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #30
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

I think stats only can definitely revive your interest in the game if you want or need a new challenge.

I always hoped that something could be done with the game's graphics so that when you play stats only and look at a player, there would be something in the spaces where stats used to be. It would look nicer.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #31
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

Can I switch my long-running fictional league "ratings" game to stats only?
Can I switch it back?
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #32
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Can I switch my long-running fictional league "ratings" game to stats only?
Can I switch it back?
Of course. You can turn it on and turn it off as you like. When you get down to it all you are doing is eliminating the stars and bars of player rating and reducing scouting accuracy. You can do it in mid-season or whenever.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #33
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem810 View Post
I'm curious what tools you use for the rookie draft with absolutely no ratings available. I'm guessing the HS/College Stats and the recommendation of a 'competent' scout with some amateur player assessment skills. Do you use any info beyond the above?
This is the big Achilles Heel to stats only IMO. Because I have no idea what the stat info the game generates for prospects even is of where it comes from. Is it amateur career total? Is it a "senior season" total? Is it random and no even tied to a player's skills? I have no idea and I don't trust it. So that leaves only one out: feeder leagues.

With feeder leagues you can get multiple seasons of stat history on prospects and see how they are performing and (most importantly) how they are progressing. Stats only is the one instance that makes feeders not just a curiosity but a necessity.

I guess one other way yo go would be to turn ratings on for the purposes of the draft if you really don't want to use feeders. IMO that would be immersion killing but it would serve that purpose without the hassle and tax on game resources of feeders.

There are no wrong answers in OOTP. It's what works best for you.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:07 PM   #34
neugey
All Star Reserve

Interesting topic, but I think I'm a ways away from disabling ratings. I feel I need to get good at building a team first and then if I feel it's getting too easy then this challenge will always be there. I tell you what though, I sure do look at the stat lines more and trust the stars and bars less and less. I weigh both out now - never took much time to do it in the past. It seems like the ratings show what the player performs to the best of his ability - a best-case scenario - and at least 50% of the time the stats produced come in significantly under what the ratings would lead you to anticipate.
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:17 PM   #35
progen
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I've been playing stats only for years now, and it has definitely kept my interest in this game. To each his own, and there have been some lengthy discussions between forum members regarding this, but it really makes me pay attention more to my players, and more in tune with the league(other teams). Draft is always fun, because do you take an inflated stat from a teenager playing in an average league, or a 21 year old playing at the college level and in "great" competition, and is hitting just under .300?

Stats only is not for everyone, but is a different kind of challenge with this game.
progen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #36
McLite
Minors (Single A)

Does anyone know when playing stats only (actual/potential off) with the other ratings still on (speed, defense, etc...) is there a way to see those ratings on the HTML? It seems to hide them even though they are visible in-game.

Thanks.
McLite is offline   Reply With Quote