Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #141
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Tribe View Post
What's your suggestion for waiting for this update to start a new franchise time-wise? If this is something that should be available Monday I assume that I should just wait 2 days?

Will this be part of a patch? How do we get the fixes automatically imported before we start a new franchise?
I don't know if the Monday update will include updated rosters or not. But even if not, yes all this will eventually make it into a patch. Once you've downloaded and installed the update/patch that actually contains the new roster file, then everything will be automatically applied to any new game you start from then on.

As to when to start a franchise, I can't really tell you. It depends on just how much of a roster perfectionist you are. I'm probably not starting mine for another few weeks, until I've tweaked all the current ratings for milb players.

But for most people who aren't certifiably insane about rosters, like I am, a career started now should be just fine. Or at least if you wait only until the first roster update, either Monday or whenever it gets released. You should really be good to go then.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #142
BaronA
Minors (Single A)

I'm planning on starting it up once the first patch is available, which I'm assuming will be tomorrow night or early Monday.
BaronA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #143
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronA View Post
LHP Junior Reyes could be added to the Royals system. This what I wrote up about Pinto and Reyes last summer.

Reyes is not much of a prospect, but if you want to add him you want.

Julio Pinto - $375,000 bonus. A projectable righthander with a fastball that sits in the 88-92 mph range. His secondary stuff consists of a curveball and changeup. He's a promising prospect, with some seasoning could wind up being a smart investment.

Junior Reyes - 155,000 bonus. A lefthander that is praised by scouts for his command and pitchability throws a 87-89 mph fastball. Less upside than Pinto, but at the very least adds depth to the farm system.
We're currently in the process of adding as many DSL/VSL players as possible, focusing on the high bonus guys and those we can get scouting reports for.

The int complex feature wasn't added until the beta was released, a little over a month ago, so we've had very little time to work on these guys, given the other roster stuff we've had to do in that time.

havebands done a great job with adding a ton of int complex guys though and we will be adding more.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #144
BaronA
Minors (Single A)

I used to edit every organizations top 10-15 prospects based on scouting reports and such. Not sure if I will this go around, but I'm usually a bit on the perfectionist side. ha.

I even mentioned that you can edit players if you're a perfectionist in my review of the game on my blog. ha.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #145
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
I used to edit every organizations top 10-15 prospects based on scouting reports and such. Not sure if I will this go around, but I'm usually a bit on the perfectionist side. ha.

I even mentioned that you can edit players if you're a perfectionist in my review of the game on my blog. ha.
We've done that already this year. The top 20 prospects per org should be totally good to go.

We used more than just BA's ranking and reports though, mixed in some John Sickels and BP and others. So you won't find that the rankings agree perfectly with BA, but that's as it should be.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #146
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Ok, just found out that all the updates we've made as of three hours ago WILL be in Monday's update, for those who were asking.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #147
BaronA
Minors (Single A)

BP is good stuff. Not sure I'm completely on board with BA any more. I don't mind the fellas that cover the college baseball, though.

A lot of players only had minor tweaking. It's good that you use more than one source. BP more credible in your opinion?
Old 04-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #148
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
BP is good stuff. Not sure I'm completely on board with BA any more. I don't mind the fellas that cover the college baseball, though.

A lot of players only had minor tweaking. It's good that you use more than one source. BP more credible in your opinion?
I've never been on board with BA's all tools all the time approach. Tools are well and good, but guys need to be able to hit, and just plain play baseball too. Being an athletic freak who can't hit or field only gets you so far

So I do prefer BP. But honestly to me the best is John Sickels. He used to be more of a SABR fundamentalist who wasn't much concerned with tools at all. Now I think he stikes a great balance between acknowledging tools are important and also incorporating SABR principles. So he's my main go to source for prospects.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #149
BaronA
Minors (Single A)

A good link for Sickels? I'll check him out. I agree that BA is a little too tools oriented. Bubba Starling probably ranked higher by them than anywhere else? ha A great athlete that probably will never transition into anything more than an average player.

You ever dig into Ron Shandler for fantasy projections?
Old 04-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #150
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
A good link for Sickels? I'll check him out. I agree that BA is a little too tools oriented. Bubba Starling probably ranked higher by them than anywhere else? ha A great athlete that probably will never transition into anything more than an average player.

You ever dig into Ron Shandler for fantasy projections?
Sickel's site is here.

He also publishes a prospect book that sells for $25-30 or so. That's where the real meaty info comes from but the blog has an enormous amount of (all free) info on it too. It's one of my very few regularly visited sites.

I don't play fantasy, so never much worried about fantasy projections

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-13-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #151
IcePhoenix
Bat Boy

Another nitpicky thing (which I know you guys love)

Ron Gardenhire's (Twins Manager) contract expires at the end of this year but OOTP has him signed through 2016.
IcePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #152
haveband
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePhoenix View Post
Another nitpicky thing (which I know you guys love)

Ron Gardenhire's (Twins Manager) contract expires at the end of this year but OOTP has him signed through 2016.
Don't worry about whether or not it seems nitpicky, we want to know all this. The roster team is extremely small and we love having extra eyes on it to help us fix things. There are so many things to do in a short period of time that a lot frankly will get missed.
haveband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #153
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Also he's on the Hot Seat to get Fired.
When it gets closer to the Draft and we know who's all going to be available to be Drafted might added them to the Draft File.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #154
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Thanks! PG subscriber myself, I used their info far more than BA's, so there may be some discrepancies.
PG is what?
dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #155
haveband
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacgreg37 View Post
PG is what?
Perfect Game. Perfect Game USA - World's Largest Baseball Scouting Service
haveband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #156
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacgreg37 View Post
PG is what?
Perfect Game. They have the best db for High School players. It's huge, with tons of info and dob's, velocities, 40 times, stuff you can't get anywhere else. State by state follow lists for the draft with 1000's of players, HS player rankings into the thousands. Just incredible stuff.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-13-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #157
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveband View Post
Quote:
Perfect Game. They have the best db for High School players. It's huge, with tons of info and dob's, velocities, 40 times, stuff you can't get anywhere else.
Thanks guys.
dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #158
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Perfect Game. They have the best db for High School players. It's huge, with tons of info and dob's, velocities, 40 times, stuff you can't get anywhere else. State by state follow lists for the draft with 1000's of players, HS player rankings into the thousands. Just incredible stuff.
The subscription's really pricey though. $200 for the level that gets you that stuff.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-13-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #159
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Came across this during a trade. Jordan Danks (Charlotte Knights) has a very very big contract.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #160
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgom27 View Post
Also he's on the Hot Seat to get Fired.
When it gets closer to the Draft and we know who's all going to be available to be Drafted might added them to the Draft File.
Well, I already know who's gonna get drafted, mostly. I have follow lists with thousands of players on them. Not so much where they'll be drafted, exactly, but then the MLB teams don't even know that yet!

We already have 640 draft eligible players in the db and I'm working on adding more.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-13-2013 at 04:11 PM.