Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
ssmith88
Bat Boy

I'm new to Baseball

Hi all

I've purchased OOP13 today but I'm new to baseball.
I'm Australian and cricket is mostly played in my country.

I know the basic rules of baseball but I don't know the strategy.

Are there any strategy guides about baseball that are relevant to OOP13?

Cheers
Stephen
ssmith88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
ELDoro
All Star Reserve

I would recommend just watching a lot of video of games. Its hard to find full MLB games online but there seem to be a lot of video of the Nippon Japan games.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
outrider64
Major Leagues

Try reading through this part of the manual. You may find things in there to help you.

Out of the Park Baseball Manual
outrider64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Answering your question is a much larger task than it seems.

I just googled "baseball lineup strategy" and a bunch of sites came up.
I think if you start with basic popular strtegies you are going to be in good shape. As you learn more about the game you will be able to adjust to your preferences.

I also recomend using Wikipedia or google for all of the acronyms. There are a ton of them in baseball and they can be a bit overwhelming.
If you have any specific questions feel free to post them here.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:03 AM   #5
Mecza
Minors (Triple A)

You're going to love this game. I don't know how much baseball knowledge you actually have, but it is a relatively simple game but hard to master

Just some links to help get you started.

Baseball Strategy:Guide to Smart Baseball - ArmchairGM Wiki - Sports Wiki Database

Baseball: Offensive and Defensive Strategy
Mecza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:43 AM   #6
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

I would recommend buying an ebook on baseball strategy. There are many books aimed at players and coaches, and you can probably learn about the fundamentals of strategy by reading something like that.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
ssmith88
Bat Boy

thanks for the links and tips
I'm watching video of my local baseball team at Baseball Queensland
I'm also reading 'Baseball for Dummies' by Joe Morgan
I'll also read the advanced 'Weaver on Strategy' by Earl Weaver
I hope all this is relevant to the game OOP13?
ssmith88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith88 View Post
thanks for the links and tips
I'm watching video of my local baseball team at Baseball Queensland
I'll also read the advanced 'Weaver on Strategy' by Earl Weaver
I hope all this is relevant to the game OOP13?
The only thing I would warn you about is to take anything said by Joe Morgan with a large rock of salt.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

I'm jealous

because you can actually watch actual baseball being played right now!*

I don't know about ABL games, but minor league and college games here are often attended by friendly people interested in baseball. If you find some older folks keeping score, you can probably ask them questions when you're confused. You'll soon find out you know more than you think

Once MLB gets going, you might check out some of the team boards at SB Nation. Most of the team boards have "open threads" during games where you can follow along as the game is played (or in your case read through the next day) and see what people say about particular decisions. Some are ex-players and fairly knowledgeable; some are morons. Most of the boards are populated by nice folk; you'd be a novelty and would likely be well treated. The Mets board is pretty friendly; the Giants board is so over-trafficked as to be useless other than as a chat room.

If you can get a hold of Billy Martin's books, you might be fairly entertained. I have "Number 1" and "Billyball". I can also recommend the recent Willie Mays biography... it's obviously not all strategy but there are many little stories of tricks or ruses Willie pulled off here or there (such as not stealing bases when batting in front of Willie McCovey so he wouldn't be intentionally walked).

For GM/wheeling dealing stuff, consider Veeck as in Wreck by Bill Veeck. It's endlessly entertaining, and written in a simpler baseball time but interesting as to how he picked players, made trades, and so on. My favorite baseball book ever!

Finally, if and when you have specific questions, don't hesitate to ask here or even use private messages. That Charlie Hough guy might know something. Le Grande Orange really knows all the ins and outs of waivers, roster rules, etc. Or start a thread here or in general discussion. And be ready to get 10 conflicting answers! One of the great things about baseball... everybody thinks they know something/everything!

Welcome!

*We visited QLD a couple of years ago so I understand you might be a very long way from any of the ABL teams!
GMLoophole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

George Will's "Men at Work" is an absolute classic (and an ironic title to recommend to an Aussie). It is written in a manner to be accessible to people unfamiliar with baseball, but it is anything but dumbed down. I am certain that even for someone who has spent 50 years in the game, there is something to be learned from the book.

A wonderful wordsmith, Will penned a work that holds up as a top recommendation 25 years after its publication.

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 02-07-2013 at 12:33 PM.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith88 View Post
Try his companion book 'Tooting your own horn for Dummies'
Old 02-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaGorilla View Post
George Will's "Men at Work" is an absolute classic (and an ironic title to recommend to an Aussie). It is written in a manner to be accessible to people unfamiliar with baseball, but it is anything but dumbed down. I am certain that even for someone who has spent 50 years in the game, there is something to be learned from the book.

A wonderful wordsmith, Will penned a work that holds up as a top recommendation 25 years after its publication.
I had all but forgotten that book - great suggestion for an outsider.