Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #41
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
How could I forget? He was the frickin' poster boy for crazy OOTP18 seasons.
David Watts and actionjackson, you are both right: Ron Santo just hit .341 to win the batting title in the American League for the 1919 Season. I expect we are watching the career of a superstar in my league. Thanks for filling in me in.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #42
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Don't you use Real Stats though? If you do, it's just Mr. Santo's real life numbers, which he admittedly seems to annihilate in every sim I've ever seen. Not Spritze's doing really. Maybe a Ghost in the Machine that's a big Santo fan?
I use real stats, yes. And see my previous post - Santo just led the league in batting with .341. He hit 41 homers, not league-leading, but a lot.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:32 AM   #43
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
How are you playing? Are you the manager or GM of one team (Cleveland?) or in Commissioner mode? Do you play out games or just sim?
Yes, Commissioner Mode, otherwise I couldn't make the changes in the league when needed.

I don't think it needs more tinkering though: the age limits and roster size limits for the three minor leagues seem to be working:

A bunch of 35 year-old players whose last seasons were very partial (5 at bats or batted .100 or whatever) retire now, and some who are younger, age 25 but stuck in A level because they are not very good (rare but a few), or 29 and stuck in AA because they are not very good, leave as well. The five round draft seems to be enough, but if it is not and rosters seem vacant at some point I will move it back to 8.

I am managing the Cleveland Blues.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #44
italyprof
All Star Reserve

As to injuries, it is managing that makes the difference. It may be, probably is, that the number of injuries is nowhere what it is in RL.

If I have Hank Aaron or Johnny Mize and lose them for the season, so it goes. I don't like it anymore than anyone would.

But it is not that which leads me to set injuries to "low". It is the constant adjusting that drives me nuts. You sim a week, and instead you can't get past Tuesday because there are injuries every few seconds, and so you just end up spending your time moving people up from the minors, adjusting the pinch-hitters list, resetting who is on the bench, and after a while it gets boring. It is the quantity, not the inconvenience of having key players injured, that leads me to set it to "low". Thanks all of you for the feedback ! Now, to the update for the 1919 season.

OH, ONE MORE THING: David Watts, I am able to make screenshots of standings, players stats, etc. and can paste them into emails or into Word documents, but I cannot ever paste them onto this site's dialogue boxes in this Forum. I never have. I would be happy to.

HOW CAN I POST SCREENSHOTS HERE? WHAT IS THE SECRET? Thanks.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #45
italyprof
All Star Reserve

1919:

The Cleveland Blues, after a considerable period of being a power in the AL, fell to mediocrity this season, We finished 75-87, in fourth place in the East Division. Ron Santo's Baltimore Orioles ran away with the division easily, winning 96 games.

Eric Davis of the White Sox hit a league-leading 47 home runs, but Chicago ended up 2 games behind perennial power Oklahoma City in the West (95 wins).

In the NL, Ted Williams of the Houston Colts led the league in both batting (.360) and home runs (51). John Milner of the Orioles with 134 and Paul Konerko of the LA Dodgers with 129 led in RBI.

Atlee Hammaker for the Orioles won 21 games, and Doc Ayers had a 1.87 ERA for the Cowboys of OC. Indianapolis' Lefty Gomez and Nolan Ryan of the Chicago Orphans led each league with 305 strikeouts apiece.
Denver's Harvey Haddix won 22 and had the NL's best ERA at 2.55. The Broncos won 99 games and face the Pirates winners of the East (91 wins).

Ivan Rodriguez and Tommy Henrich led the Pirates who had a much more mixed attack and pitching staff, without any real standout superstars.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #46
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Santo's .313 with a home run was not enough to carry Baltimore into the World Series in 1919.

Even the pitching of Jerry Koosman, Atlee Hannamaker and Bobby Shantz was not enough.

Mo Vaughn hit .500 with 10 hits and 3 homers for the Oklahoma City Cowboys who defeated the Orioles 4 games to 1.

In the NL, Rennie Stennett had 10 hits, and Harvey Haddix hit two home runs and won two games, and the Denver Broncos defeated Pittsburgh in 6 games.

The Cowboys rode the Broncos (too good a pun, sorry), 4 games to 2 to win the World Series. Eddie Collins hit .458 in the series.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #47
italyprof
All Star Reserve

The Blues had some bright spots in 1919 despite falling from the heights of previous seasons:

Seaver and Three-finger Brown won 33 games between them, and Hong-Chih Kuo was brilliant in the bullpen as our Stopper. We lost Satchel Paige, obtained in the previous year first-year player draft at age 43 for more than half the season to injuries, and Satchel ended up with a 4.18 ERA and only 23 IP.

Mize had an off-year: .244 with 18 homers. Roy Campanella hit .261 with 26 homers. Centerfielder Bobby Thomson hit .280 with 31 home runs.

Another bit of good news: the Boston Beaneaters proposed a trade of unhappy 35 year old outfielder Dave Parker, who hit only .250 for them, for Austin McHenry who had also been unproductive for Cleveland in 1919. We happily agreed, and hope that Parker can bring experience, leadership and the last bits of baseball talent he had for his remaining seasons as we try to look for younger talent to build for the future. Now, time for the 1919 first-year player draft.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #48
italyprof
All Star Reserve

The Blues had some bright spots in 1919 despite falling from the heights of previous seasons:

Seaver and Three-finger Brown won 33 games between them, and Hong-Chih Kuo was brilliant in the bullpen as our Stopper. We lost Satchel Paige, obtained in the previous year first-year player draft at age 43 for more than half the season to injuries, and Satchel ended up with a 4.18 ERA and only 23 IP.

Mize had an off-year: .244 with 18 homers. Roy Campanella hit .261 with 26 homers. Centerfielder Bobby Thomson hit .280 with 31 home runs.

Another bit of good news: the Boston Beaneaters proposed a trade of unhappy 35 year old outfielder Dave Parker, who hit only .250 for them, for Austin McHenry who had also been unproductive for Cleveland in 1919. We happily agreed, and hope that Parker can bring experience, leadership and the last bits of baseball talent he had for his remaining seasons as we try to look for younger talent to build for the future. Now, time for the 1919 first-year player draft.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #49
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
Yes, Commissioner Mode, otherwise I couldn't make the changes in the league when needed.

I don't think it needs more tinkering though: the age limits and roster size limits for the three minor leagues seem to be working:

A bunch of 35 year-old players whose last seasons were very partial (5 at bats or batted .100 or whatever) retire now, and some who are younger, age 25 but stuck in A level because they are not very good (rare but a few), or 29 and stuck in AA because they are not very good, leave as well. The five round draft seems to be enough, but if it is not and rosters seem vacant at some point I will move it back to 8.

I am managing the Cleveland Blues.
I'll advocate for a five round draft. I've had it for 63 seasons now, and it always seems to produce a situation where there are about 50 free agents on the day before free agents file again. You want to have enough free agents so that teams can replace injured players after the trade deadline passes, and that to me shows there are enough...but not too many. Delicate balance. Then again you are playing with minor leagues and low injuries whereas I'm playing with unlimited reserve rosters and high injuries, so we don't exactly have the same settings. What makes random debut great is that you start off with a guaranteed 44 players per team, and it usually goes up from there. There really is no time where you feel that your league is short of players. Try playing 19th century straight historical sometime. Yeesh! No thanks. Too many teams barely scraping by with enough players to play games.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #50
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
OH, ONE MORE THING: David Watts, I am able to make screenshots of standings, players stats, etc. and can paste them into emails or into Word documents, but I cannot ever paste them onto this site's dialogue boxes in this Forum. I never have. I would be happy to.

HOW CAN I POST SCREENSHOTS HERE? WHAT IS THE SECRET? Thanks.
There's a button on your keyboard along the top level called "PrtScn SysRq". That button is the beginning of the process. You will also need a free photo editing program. paint.NET is what I use, and it's never steered me wrong.

Once you have paint.NET up and running, it should be a snap. 1) Bring the image onscreen in your game that you wish to upload to the forum. 2) Press the "PrtScn SysRq" button. 3) Open paint.NET. 4) Ctrl+V (which is the paste function via your keyboard. 5) Now the image should be in your paint.NET window. Two options will come up. Click on "Expand Canvas". 6) Now the image is ready to be saved. You can save it to your pictures folder named as you choose, so click Save as... (Name).PNG (or whatever the extension happens to be). It's usually a .PNG file coming from OOTP though. 7) Another window will pop up. Click Save. 8) Now your image is saved in your Pictures folder. Go to make your post. Click on "Manage Attachments" box to attach the image you wish to attach to your post. This box is located below the post window. 9) A window will pop up with "Upload file from your computer" Hit one of the three "Browse..." buttons and it will take you to your PC. 10) Go into your Pictures folder, and click on the image you just saved from your game. 11) Hit the "Upload" button. You should now see the file you want to post in your "Manage Attachments" section. 12) Click "Preview Post" or "Submit Reply", and your image should be there. Hope this helps.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #51
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Thank you very much. I will try it sometime soon.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:03 AM   #52
italyprof
All Star Reserve

I think I have skipped a year in my accounts here, but I can add it later. I confess I am wearying of the league, mainly because I built-in two flaws: one is too many players, which I only figured out how to adjust too late, with lower numbers of draft rounds and by putting age and totals limits on minor league rosters. But it seems unwieldy sometimes.
The other issue is that while I thought 1986 would be fun because of the great balance between home runs and running games and batting averages, the actual totals are a little too high - not quite steroid era high - not teams with four 40 home run players, but a little high. The offensive game is fun, but gets old eventually, as happened by the early 2000s in RL MLB.

So I have been spending time on another team, in a league with 1974 settings perpetually instead, and with 5 round drafts (thanks all of you who have advised that), and three minor leagues with 15 man roster limits, and with strict age limits.

This adds a dimension of strategy (I have the same age limits in this league, but set the total roster limits too high, might adjust it eventually): you have to decide whether an aging player who is 36 and has a few useful RL years left is worth keeping on the ML roster, because you can't send him down to AAA which has an age limit of 35 (29 for AA, 25 for A), or whether you want that position for some young player who may or may not be ready. I like that dimension, but don't like using the 40-man roster limits and Rule 5 to get there.

Anyway, I am enjoying the austerity of 1974, a season I remember very well.

But...I have run the 1921 season for this 1986 league, and so here go the results:
Old 03-18-2018, 08:12 AM   #53
italyprof
All Star Reserve

The Cleveland Blues, in a rebuilding process, managed an 82-80 record and a 4th place finish. Some new faces were league leaders:

George Brett hit .407 and tied Mickey Mantle for the NL home run lead with 49. Brett plays for the Beaneaters who finished under .500 however. Mantle for LA. Edwin Encarnacion drove in 132 runs Houston, one more than his teammate Happy Felsch.
Willie McGee hit .335 for the Senators to lead the AL, and Gavvy Cravath denied Ron Santo another HR title, hitting 45 for OC to Santo's 41. Santo's 113 RBI led the league.

Young Walter Johnson won 21 games for the Athletics, who won 100 games and the Eastern Division, and Johnson's 2.21 ERA was the best in the AL. He struck out 283, three fewer than Randy Johnson (no relation apparently) who plays for the Boston Americans. Eddie Collins stole 129 bases, as SB numbers continue to be through the roof.

Nolan Ryan, another newcomer, struck out 332 for the Chicago Orphans, and some say he throws even faster than either of the Johnsons.

The San Diego Padres won 101 games, without a single leader in any category on their team. But with four 18 game winners, led by Hippo Vaughn, and a well-distributed offense - Harvey Kuenn, Todd Zeile, Cesar Cedeno, Tommy Henrich - they won the NL pennant, but fell in 6 games to the Athletics.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #54
italyprof
All Star Reserve

I will continue this league, but a little less regularly. But what I like is its history - it has become a real world, with its own records. I love that aspect, and it is really the first time that I have built a baseball world and had the patience to follow it through. So I won't let go of it, and do please keep checking in when you see new posts here.

One great aspect is the all-time home run competition between Frank Robinson and Ted Williams.

At the end of the 1921 season, 21 seasons in, it stands:

Frank Robinson 614
Ted Williams 608

Corey Seager in third place has 473.

Fun no? How could I leave a league like this. What will happen when Babe Ruth and Henry Aaron, Willie Mays and Barry Bonds arrive?

Ken Griffey Jr., Mickey Mantle and Ron Santo all are between 27 and 28 years old. Junior has 381, Mantle 351, and Santo 338.

But again, this seems too many, too fast. It should have taken decades for all these stars to show up and I wonder if I did not mess things up with my radical expansion, intended to thin out the talent, but neglecting the consequence of larger overall draft pools for 24 teams.

Oh well. Still fun.