Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 11-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
whifflebird
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Loving Perfect Team - But I Have a Dumb Question About Card Designs

Actually, this has probably been discussed by others but I didn't see anything so I figured I would ask.

How hard would it be to use actual card designs on the older cards, is it a licensing issue with Topps? Seems like there has to be some way to take advantage of the old card designs we know and love, and more importantly at least have a face on the historical cards to add some realism. Maybe there is a mod for that?

Sorry if this topic has been beat to death, I'm new so have mercy on me.
whifflebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

OOTPD can licence the likenesses of the current MLB players through MLB / the MLBPA. There is no body that issues a licence to the likenesses of players that died 50 years ago.

Topps et al. have probably trademarked and copyrighted their designs so you'd ask for legal trouble and / or another huge licence bill to get that one too for no greater good.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by whifflebird View Post
Actually, this has probably been discussed by others but I didn't see anything so I figured I would ask.

How hard would it be to use actual card designs on the older cards, is it a licensing issue with Topps? Seems like there has to be some way to take advantage of the old card designs we know and love, and more importantly at least have a face on the historical cards to add some realism. Maybe there is a mod for that?

Sorry if this topic has been beat to death, I'm new so have mercy on me.

That would be fantastic and I thought about it too but it's gotta be licensing.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
whifflebird
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I wonder if Topps would see it as a marketing opportunity, rather than just trying to gouge for licensing fees from OOTP.

Because it would be really cool when I pull a 1984 Chet Lemon for it to actually look like the 1984 Topps Chet Lemon...game changer right there.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:27 PM   #5
Sipimi
Minors (Triple A)

Isn't there a way to allow for players to develop their own "mod packs" to avoid licensing issues ?
Sipimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:23 PM   #6
neugey
All Star Reserve

I wouldn't hold your breath or trust Topps' judgement. You're talking about a company that still thinks they have a working business model, even after all this time.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #7
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

There's also the possibility that an agreement with Topps, et al, may not be enough. The agreement between Topps and the players would have covered their cards but might not cover secondary usages, such as replicating those cards in the game.

Random analogy, but if this scenario were true, it would probably be similar to how DVD releases of Muppet Family Christmas are missing 3 songs that had to be cut entirely because the agreements with the writers/arrangers of those songs only covered the initial television broadcasts.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #8
whifflebird
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Someone pointed out to me that MLB Show has Dynasty cards (similar to PT I guess, haven't played so not sure) and they have Topps branding/licensing, so I'm not sure what the reason is now.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:32 PM   #9
Kris Jardine
OOTP Developments

We do not have the license to use reproductions of cards or use players faces other than the live MLB players we have currently. Licensing for baseball cards is not something we are currently exploring.

For those people mentioning Topps, they are officially licensed to another baseball game.

Webstore - https://ootpdevelopments.onfastspring.com/games/
Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...k_Baseball_22/

Last edited by Kris Jardine; 11-08-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Kris Jardine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #10
whifflebird
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thank you for that clarification. This game is awesome regardless, so thanks for all of your hard work!
Old 11-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #11
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:
For those people mentioning Topps, they are officially licensed to another baseball game.
After the collectibles collapse, they're probably happy to accept any licensing deal they're offered.

But I doubt there are many offers tendered, these days.