Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:08 AM   #81
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorseMoose View Post
Good for her for speaking out.
You're assuming she's telling the truth. People sometimes lie. See: "Jackie", Emma Sulkowicz, Lucy DeCoutere, That's why evidence and substantiation matters. That's why going to law enforcement matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
What good would reporting to the police do if you have zero physical evidence or witnesses?
Most police forces take domestic abuse allegations very seriously. It's not the 1980s.

Quote:
If she did suffer from physical violence I have no problem with her taking to a public blog to vent after suffering in hidden silence.
If there is physical violence, that leaves evidence: bruises, scratches, etc. Most people have a cell phone with a camera, which makes taking photos to document injuries a simple matter. Or making video or audio recordings, for that matter.

I take issue with anyone using social media to assert crimes were committed rather than using the proper route of law enforcement. 911 is just three digits to dial.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #82
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Most police forces take domestic abuse allegations very seriously. It's not the 1980s.
Did not claim that they didn't. But at the end of the day most cases come down to "he said, she said". Therefore, a lot will be done to ultimately come to nothing. Not all violence leaves marks or sends one to the hospital. If the authorities don't have anything definitive they can take before a judge they can't do much more than give a warning.

Quote:
If there is physical violence, that leaves evidence: bruises, scratches, etc. Most people have a cell phone with a camera, which makes taking photos to document injuries a simple matter. Or making video or audio recordings, for that matter.

I take issue with anyone using social media to assert crimes were committed rather than using the proper route of law enforcement. 911 is just three digits to dial.
If, if, IF..........If you don't have that evidence, then what does the victim do? What can the law do? Victims shouldn't have to hide what they go thru just because their animalistic partners aren't dumb enough to slap them when other people are around. Or that they aren't predictable enough so that you can set up a recording device to capture the attack. If they can't get them convicted in court, then maybe the court of public opinion will bring justice.

I have zero issue with it as long as she is telling the truth.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:45 PM   #83
bertha
Minors (Rookie Ball)

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

Last edited by bertha; 09-24-2018 at 01:47 PM.
bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:56 PM   #84
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Most domestic abuse cases are he said she said. It also doesn't matter how someone reported it. I don't understand why someone would have to meet another persons definition of the correct criteria for reporting.

As a male I understand history that has gone against women for far too long. If the wind blows the other way it is only because for too long it has been ignored. I hope to teach my children when they are the advantaged and then also when they are not.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #85
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Wanted to watch something about baseball but not a game, could have watched the tried and tested Major League films, Field of Dreams, Moneyball etc but decided seeing what Netflix had to offer so typed "baseball" into the search engine and came up with among others a documentary called The Battered Bastards of Baseball, probably not only the best thing I've seen on baseball but sport in general.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:15 PM   #86
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I'm not for all of the beanball stuff. But after CC did this would you still give CC is half mil out of respect?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 09-27-2018, 06:19 PM   #87
Elendil
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
Wanted to watch something about baseball but not a game, could have watched the tried and tested Major League films, Field of Dreams, Moneyball etc but decided seeing what Netflix had to offer so typed "baseball" into the search engine and came up with among others a documentary called The Battered Bastards of Baseball, probably not only the best thing I've seen on baseball but sport in general.
Looks awesome. Queued it.

Heaven is kicking back with a double Talisker and a churchwarden stuffed with latakia.
Elendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:55 PM   #88
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

So, the '18 Red Sox have won more games than the '75 Reds, who are considered one of the best teams of all time. Does that mean that if the '18 Red Sox win the world series they should be considered one of the best of all time?
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:25 PM   #89
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

IDK. Reds won their division by 20 games. They won 10 games more than any other team that year. They also had the MVP & CY Young winners. Each would make the HOF. Two others who made the Hall. Plus, Pete Rose. A 5 time Gold Glove winner @ SS. But more importantly, a catchy nickname. That tends to elevate your status as an all time great.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 09-27-2018, 09:43 PM   #90
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

The '18 Red Sox are in a tougher division. The '18 Yankees got Giancarlo Stanton in the offseason and the Red Sox still beat them. And you don't think Mookie Betts, JD Martinez, David Price, and Chris Sale are possible hall of famers?
Old 09-27-2018, 10:19 PM   #91
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
The '18 Red Sox are in a tougher division. The '18 Yankees got Giancarlo Stanton in the offseason and the Red Sox still beat them. And you don't think Mookie Betts, JD Martinez, David Price, and Chris Sale are possible hall of famers?
Possible? Sure. I guess for all the above except JD. I don't see many HOF players being on 4 teams by the time they are 30. If he plays at this level the next 5 years then I'll revisit the question.

You seem to think I'm downgrading the Sox. I'm not. I'm just reading off Cincy's resume. Besides, the question isn't "are they better than the 75 Reds." It's "are they one of the all-time great teams?". They would have to dominate the competition (which they have so far), win it all, & stand up over the test of time. If the Big Red Machine is the bench mark, they were legendary for more reasons than just their win total. IDK if they measure up just yet. But I can't say they won't as time passes.
And IDK how much tougher the AL East is now than the NL West then. Show me the Yanks, I'll show you the O's. Kind of balances out.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 09-27-2018, 11:16 PM   #92
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Possible? Sure. I guess for all the above except JD. I don't see many HOF players being on 4 teams by the time they are 30. If he plays at this level the next 5 years then I'll revisit the question.

You seem to think I'm downgrading the Sox. I'm not. I'm just reading off Cincy's resume. Besides, the question isn't "are they better than the 75 Reds." It's "are they one of the all-time great teams?". They would have to dominate the competition (which they have so far), win it all, & stand up over the test of time. If the Big Red Machine is the bench mark, they were legendary for more reasons than just their win total. IDK if they measure up just yet. But I can't say they won't as time passes.
And IDK how much tougher the AL East is now than the NL West then. Show me the Yanks, I'll show you the O's. Kind of balances out.
The Reds closest competition was the Dodgers at 88 wins. There were no other .500 teams in that division. The Red Sox had two teams 88 wins or higher besides them in their division, and had fewer teams in the division, I think strength of division is pretty favorable towards the Red Sox. Yeah, the Reds have more hall of famers, most likely, but there were fewer players in the league back then and thus it was easier to distinguish yourself.

Last edited by monkeyman576; 09-27-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:14 AM   #93
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

So far the Red Sox seem to struggle with their pitching, which is not something you want before a 5-game set. I am not yet convinced they will march through the playoffs uncontested.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:06 AM   #94
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

it took the 75 reds 7 games to beat the red Sox in the world series.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:48 AM   #95
Elendil
Hall Of Famer

If the Sox win it all in convincing fashion, I'm open to considering them one of the best ever. However, right now advanced metrics don't even consider them the best in the AL (check out B-R's SRS or BP's 3rd-order winning percentage). They've had a lot of luck in terms of winning close games and easier strength of schedule, apparently, than the AL West.

Heaven is kicking back with a double Talisker and a churchwarden stuffed with latakia.
Elendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #96
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
The Reds closest competition was the Dodgers at 88 wins. There were no other .500 teams in that division. The Red Sox had two teams 88 wins or higher besides them in their division, and had fewer teams in the division, I think strength of division is pretty favorable towards the Red Sox. Yeah, the Reds have more hall of famers, most likely, but there were fewer players in the league back then and thus it was easier to distinguish yourself.
If the O's win their last 4 games of the year, they would still finish 14 games behind 1975's cellar dweller Houston. It balances out. The 2018 AL East, minus the Sox, do have a slightly better winning percentage than the '75 NL West, sans the Reds. But IDK if a statistician factored in the differences in scheduling (Boston playing vs the weakest division in the NL, the 2018 AL as a whole being top heavy, the 1975 NL w/o CIncy as a whole looking much like it does today. Parity) whether that small advantage would stand up. And as I said before, we have to give it time.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 09-30-2018, 06:49 PM   #97
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

How is this possible?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 09-30-2018, 07:03 PM   #98
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Wow! Two tiebreakers tomorrow. I assume the losers play each other Tuesday?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 09-30-2018, 07:24 PM   #99
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Why are there play-in tiebreakers for division titles? Didn't they use to determine tiebreakers by who won the season series?
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:31 PM   #100
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
For how bad the Twins were this year, I'm quite impressed with how they finished. Granted, a lot of that was against their divisional foes...
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote