Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

What makes the immersion different?

Hopefully, this thread wont get tossed. We all know the realism of The Show and OOTP and I wondered your opinion of why OOTP is better. See, I am a huge baseball fan, but I am not one of those that knows George Brett's batting average on odd numbered Tuesdays when the weather is under 60 degrees. Not making fun of those that would (so to speak). I love the depth of OOTP, but I also love the actions in The Show.

Why is OOTP so much better than The Show

P.S. Devs, not trying to override OOTP, just trying to get inside the mental baseball depth in the comparison.
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

OOTPB is a documentary. The Show is an action film. They both have their place. I don’t think there is any doubt about which is more realistic.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:00 AM   #3
Tunnelrunner
Minors (Single A)

I think both games accomplish the same thing - the ultimate level of baseball immersion - but they go about it in different ways.

I can only speak for myself but I prefer OOTP Baseball because while graphics, animation, sounds, etc are very nice, I will always value the "meat and potatoes" of OOTP and all of the different things you can do with it as far as customization and complete control, not to mention all the details that the team put into the news and countless story lines. I also think it's more user friendly (although I haven't played The Show nearly as much as OOTP). That and I'm not great at modern reflex driven games anymore; I tend to lean towards sports management and sim games.

Last edited by Tunnelrunner; 03-30-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Tunnelrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

It truly depends on how you play and what you're interested in. Obviously, being able to control the hitting or pitching and to play baseball has a lot of value but that's totally different than the GM experience you get in a game like OOTP and being able to sim decades, etc.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:54 AM   #5
slic1149
Major Leagues

To me, a baseball game should be about how good my players are, not about how well I control my player. If I am playing a game and Giancarlo Stanton strikes out I want it be because the pitcher struck him out, not because I didn't hit a button fast enough.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:37 AM   #6
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

I like how Orcin described it. As an avid player of both games they each scratch a different itch. In the show I love playing diamond dynasty because I was a big time baseball card collector as a kid. I refuse to spend my own money on it (and I don't care if people do, it isn't my money) and love grinding away to get cards. It's mindless fun after a long day of teaching and coaching.

In out of the park I get statistical accuracy of a certain time period or the joy of creating a brand new fictional universe (which I am so guilty of) and watching it play out. Sometimes I like to play historical and change history. Other times, I am the gm of my club and want to see if I can do a better job than the real life guys. It is a different sort of immersion for sure. One thing I will say about ootp is that I do not consider it mindless like the show. I'm always paying attention in my setups.

I'm looking forward to what this perfect team is going to look like. It seems like it is aimed at taking the same element of what I like about the show and adding it to ootp. The Dev's already stated that it won't cost extra personal money to pull good cards so I'm inclined to give it a shot.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812

Last edited by Hrycaj; 03-31-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:54 AM   #7
Dr. Strangelove
Minors (Double A)

OOTP is the ultimate baseball universe that lets you do everything you want, any time, anywhere. You can create whole fictional leagues around the world, play in a rather accurate dead ball era, live ball, see stars like Ty Cobb, Ted Williams, Sandy Koufax, Babe Ruth and so many others in their own times - facing their real life opponenta, playing on accurate ballparks, and wearing real jerseys and ballcaps. The immersion is unparalleled and I haven’t even mentioned the accurate minor league system yet. That’s a real baseball game and while I appreciate how cool The Show may be, this is the hardcore thing.
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:02 AM   #8
D-BacksJosh
Banned

OOTP is wine and MLB THE SHOW is cheese. Both delicious alone, but even better when used together. Take a sip of wine, take a bite of cheese. Personally I play both, and I can't imagine my day of baseball indulgence being complete without either one.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:48 PM   #9
vrobx1
Hall Of Famer

To me, I don't do hand-eye coordination well.

So, no matter how well I am at strategy, I won't do well on games like The Show simply because of the hand-eye coordination needed to use the controller.

Something you don't need when playing OOTP.

This is why I personally prefer to play OOTP.

There is also the fact that I can download OOTP on my laptop and take it to work.

Can't do that with The Show.

At least, not to my knowledge.
vrobx1 is offline   Reply With Quote