Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-13-2006, 01:45 AM   #61
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwd59
As I said, I like the use of minor leagues.
Okay, then don't be surprised when fictional players enter your major leagues. Or create or find a database with enough minor leaguers from the era you're recreating to make that work. You can't blame Markus for the game that he created being ahead of the curve in terms of the data available for it.
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:51 AM   #62
Gil Thorp
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift
Okay, then don't be surprised when fictional players enter your major leagues. Or create or find a database with enough minor leaguers from the era you're recreating to make that work. You can't blame Markus for the game that he created being ahead of the curve in terms of the data available for it.
The use of "ghost" minor leaguers in past versions worked fine IMO.
Gil Thorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:07 AM   #63
rwd59
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Man, ain't nothing fictional gonna surprise me because as I said, I will be returning to 6.5. You pointed out something I already knew. And that is that with 2006 to play historicals without any fictionals you can't use minor leagues. All I said was that I liked using minor leagues. I said nothing about Markus or downing him for choosing to make the game the way it is. If you read my post I said I am happy for those of you who like OOTP 2006. Nowhere in the post did you see me say anything bad about the game. I just said it's not my cup of tea.
rwd59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:09 AM   #64
Stats_Enthusiast
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestGAV
The good news is that all the front end architectural work to put together an engine that has the potential to be far better than OOTP6.5 or any other baseball sim is behind us. The bad news is that OOTPD still has alot of work ahead of them to fill out all that potential by stomping bugs, fleshing out features, and getting the IQ of the AI up from Jim Bowden level to at least Dan Duquette level.
I couldn't agree more with your wisdom!

My two-cents are... be patient!!! Look at games like BF2 when it first came out, very buggy... now, after a year of release it still has ~700,000 games at any one time!!! That game rocks the house!!!

This game, in DUE time, will surpass a majority of people's expectations. The foundation is laid... maintain optimism and OOTP 2006 will improve... time is of the essence.
NFL - Bears

Last edited by Stats_Enthusiast; 06-13-2006 at 02:14 AM.
Stats_Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:11 AM   #65
rwd59
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwd59
I wouldn't dare tell anyone else how they should feel as some people around here seem to try to do at times
Old 06-13-2006, 03:33 AM   #66
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Okay, then don't be surprised when fictional players enter your major leagues. Or create or find a database with enough minor leaguers from the era you're recreating to make that work.
Or ratchet down the quality of the minors so that the players produced have little to no chance of ever being good enough to make the majors.

But really, from perhaps an immersion point of view, what does having the minors on really do for a historical league? Chances are the created minor leagues will not accurately represent the real minor league structure from any given year, which opens up the whole question of the nature and amount of the realism sought in the recreation.

And if the goal of the historical league is to have only the actual major league player in it, then there's nothing wrong with the reserve roster method. It operates like a de facto minor league.

I suspect some of this is just personal preference, but I also suspect some of this is people being too used to doing historical leagues in one particular way and thus are having difficulty in changing their approach to them.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:43 AM   #67
waltwa
All Star Reserve

is it possible that since 6.5 was such a flawed game that markus could sell it to some other developer. that developer could then continue to develop that highly flawed game so idiots like myself could buy it.
waltwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:22 AM   #68
GMahler
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwa
is it possible that since 6.5 was such a flawed game that markus could sell it to some other developer. that developer could then continue to develop that highly flawed game so idiots like myself could buy it.
That was done already and it is called PureSim Baseball....
GMahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:41 AM   #69
rwd59
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange
I suspect some of this is just personal preference
Exactly!
Old 06-13-2006, 12:03 PM   #70
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMahler
I know this was just a sarcastic comment, but pure sim 2007 doesn't even come close to OOTP3 IMO, much less 6.5

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:07 PM   #71
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMahler
PureSim baseball does a bunch of things that are quite nice.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:11 PM   #72
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo
PureSim baseball does a bunch of things that are quite nice.
The edit ballpark feature is outstanding! far superior to anything else out there.

The ability to browse for files such as ballparks and logos is also nice, I never understood why in OOTP in the year 2006 we are still using DOS like path's to locate files.

my biggest problem is the interface looks extremely dated.

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Old 06-13-2006, 02:33 PM   #73
OTBA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44
The edit ballpark feature is outstanding! far superior to anything else out there.

The ability to browse for files such as ballparks and logos is also nice, I never understood why in OOTP in the year 2006 we are still using DOS like path's to locate files.

my biggest problem is the interface looks extremely dated.
Don't forget it actually has an Expansion feature in game.
OTBA Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:15 PM   #74
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTBA Team
Don't forget it actually has an Expansion feature in game.
I never got that far, but I did read about that and I am intrigued by it - looking forward to seeing how it works.

-Martin Luther King

-Einstein

-Muhammad Ali

-Toby Harrah
Old 06-13-2006, 03:55 PM   #75
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

Puresim and ootp are two different models of the same sport. This year I've chosen to support both deveolpers for the improvements they've made.

I've actually started to play both ps2k7 and ootp2k6. This is a first. My sim of choice has always been ootp at the exclusion of other baseball sims. I'd purchased ps in the past but never played it much. However, I like the improvements the developer has made and now I'm also playing ps.

I'm using ootp with my fictional solo Metro Leaues because it's the better of the two for building totally fictional universes. Markus has delevered for me on this and I want to support him in his efforts. However, I've started a fictional MLB league in ps, not because it's better for that, but because it has such a fun in-game feature and I want to support the developer in his efforts to deliver there. Both games can and will get improvements.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #76
DMN
Major Leagues

Giants44:

To say the new version of PureSim is only up to OOTP3 is ridiculous. I support both games and have owned OOTP since version 1. However I am very disappointed and not playing this new version. PureSim is a very well done game with excellent support and features. It is miles ahead of OOTP3. DMN

FBA - Durham Bulls
LOTG - Pittsburgh Pirates 1901 & 02 league Champs!
DMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:08 PM   #77
Claymore
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN
Giants44:

PureSim is a very well done game with excellent support and features. It is miles ahead of OOTP3. DMN
While I would not go as far as to say it is miles ahead of OOTP, I must admit I am more impressed with the direction Puresim is taking as opposed to ootp2006. Puresim is about 8-10 features away from overtaking ootp in terms of a pure baseball simulation.
Claymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:16 PM   #78
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN
Giants44:

To say the new version of PureSim is only up to OOTP3 is ridiculous. I support both games and have owned OOTP since version 1. However I am very disappointed and not playing this new version. PureSim is a very well done game with excellent support and features. It is miles ahead of OOTP3. DMN
you must have missed the last IMO part - last time I checked even my wife allows me to have an opinion once in awhile.

While there are quite a few things I liked about Pure Sim (and I did buy the full version by the way) I just can't get past how sterile it is and I never play for more then 15-20 minutes before getting bored, where as OOTP3 I probably played for 1000 hours or more.

-Martin Luther King

-Einstein

-Muhammad Ali

-Toby Harrah
Old 06-13-2006, 06:49 PM   #79
Zitofan75
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore
While I would not go as far as to say it is miles ahead of OOTP, I must admit I am more impressed with the direction Puresim is taking as opposed to ootp2006. Puresim is about 8-10 features away from overtaking ootp in terms of a pure baseball simulation.
well he didn't say it was miles ahead of OOTP, he said it was miles ahead of OOTP3. OOTP itself is miles ahead of OOTP3.
Zitofan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #80
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44
you must have missed the last IMO part - last time I checked even my wife allows me to have an opinion once in awhile.

While there are quite a few things I liked about Pure Sim (and I did buy the full version by the way) I just can't get past how sterile it is and I never play for more then 15-20 minutes before getting bored, where as OOTP3 I probably played for 1000 hours or more.
I felt the same way for quite some time. But, this last version caught my interest and has held it. I did some modding to perk up the general interface and now I like it a lot. It's true that the interface is not as tight as ootp's and needs an update, but the general game is improving.