Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #1
doitny
Minors (Rookie Ball)

impossible question

this whole impossible signing draft pick question is driving me nuts.

I have played OOTP for years and never was able to sign one. but then it hit me because some if not most are really good or great players.

1. has anyone ever signed one? is there a trick to it?

2. what happens to them if there not signed?

well I tried to answer #2 myself and do a little experiment and I didn't like what I found.

the year is about 2002 and im the Mets. Michael Bourn a pretty good player was there. I didn't even try to pick him. during the season I searched him to see what happened to him. he got drafted by the Pirates in RD 3 and was there starting CF. and that's not the worst of it. he was playing for only 167,000 dollars.

I bet I couldn't sign him for 167 million dollars

so to complete my experiment the next year I drafted a impossible I never heard of and cant remember his name. I offered 1.6 mil and he turned me down.

is this some sort of AI cheat where they can sign them but we cant?

and just to let you know I don't have a bad team at all. last 6 years 100 wins seasons only 1 WS. that's 10 times better than the Pirates have done in my league. so it isn't that he didn't want to go to a losing team.
doitny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:52 PM   #2
TuckerDuckson
Major Leagues

Whats up, first legit post in like 2 years. Congrats on having that honor.

1. Yes, you can sign impossible players. Source? Well, I've done it before. The trick is you gotta offer them (as it states mind you) significantly more than what the bonus recommends. Say you draft a 5 star High School prospect in the draft in the 3rd round, with the impossible tag, and it says he wants significantly more than 1,800,000 to sign with you. So you offer him 5,500,000 or like 4,750,000. I mean this makes realistic sense, I guess. If a guy is impossible but good, they could've realistically gone in the first round where they would get millions of dollars, or they are very committed to going to college where they could solidify a first round selection and millions of dollars in the process. The slot bonuses in the later rounds go down exponentially, so it makes sense that they would want excessive value for the risk.

2. If they don't sign, they just renter the draft in a subsequent season. If they are a High School pick it's usually a draft 2 or 3 years into the future, if they are in college they are usually there the next year since they would've declared as a junior, and with no mlb contract would have to return to college for their senior season. Usually there aren't "impossible" college players though because college guys who declare for the draft, usually want to get drafted. I'm pretty sure that if they don't sign again (which they usually will), they become free agents, I'm not sure on that one, since I've never seen it.

I mean in your example, it seems like you're using 2004 financials, so the prices are different, but usually it will state what amount of money would convince them. If it says "oh, I really want to further my education, I would only sign for significantly more than $4,000,000", you gotta pony up. I assume this no name impossible kid wanted something more than 1,000,000, and the 1.6mill you gave him was no where close to enough to convince him to break his commitment to college.

Plays legit baseball now. My OOTP ratings are low.

2022 update: I'm two stars!
TuckerDuckson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:02 PM   #3
thklein
Major Leagues

When you say he was playing for $167,000, do you mean his salary? The salary is less important than the signing bonus in convincing a draftee to sign. If they sign an "impossible" signee for a $167,000, that is very strange. But it makes sense if they signed him for a $5,000,000 signing bonus and he is now making league minimum. This is also the way it works in real life MLB.
thklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:34 AM   #4
CBeisbol
Banned

As pointed out, yearly salary isn't as important as the signing bonus.

Also, I believe, I'm in a different hemisphere than my OOTP computer, signability varies by team. A player may be imposible to sign for one team, but not so for another. So, a player that's impossible for you to sign, maybe be easy for another team, but the opposite is also true, some players will be impossible for your competitors to sign but easy for you.

I think this is spelled out on that page as it says, "signability for TEAM" or something similar.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #5
Juggernt
Major Leagues

Any clues as to what makes players Impossible to sign for one team or another? Are there existing factors or is it just random? I've never wanted to commit the money to try to sign impossible players; the next time I have a reasonable shot, I might give it a harder try.
Juggernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:36 AM   #6
mytreds
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernt View Post
Any clues as to what makes players Impossible to sign for one team or another? Are there existing factors or is it just random? I've never wanted to commit the money to try to sign impossible players; the next time I have a reasonable shot, I might give it a harder try.
Probably is determined by your draft budget.
mytreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
UltimateAverageGuy
All Star Reserve

Sometimes players dont want to play for you, or play in your city. SImple as that.
UltimateAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

signed one or two.

the trick was to almost double what they were asking.

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:34 PM   #9
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernt View Post

the option to go to college seems to be the most common. some guys have made up their mind to go, it'$ up to you to change it.

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote