Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-22-2020, 01:51 PM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Naming Leagues

When you create a league to do you spend time coming up with a name for it? I always end up going with something I just heard on the radio or television. Right now there are 4 leagues on my OOTP 20:
Clearer Skin
If Tina has her Baby
Medical Records and
Pay her Rent.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:32 PM   #2
Caporegime
All Star Starter

I used to. I'm lazy now, and tend to select names for my leagues based solely on whatever pre-existing league logos I can find in the mod section, especially in the incomparable "Retro-Style logo style" thread. Occasionally, if I have a specific name in mind for a league I want to create and can't find a ready-made logo for it, I'll request one in the aforementioned thread, where the talented and generous txranger almost always comes through in the clutch
Old 02-24-2020, 01:21 AM   #3
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Yes, normally in OOTP 18 I would give a league a fitting name.

But in OOTP XX some of the names are generic; New game, New game 2...

My other current saved games in OOTP XX are called:

all-times
Breakfast with Blassie
Great Game OOXX
New Historical League IV
NYMets 2015
Random Rosters Historic
Todays Sideshow League
What time space

Mostly doing Perfect Team, I haven't put as much energy into most of them.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:36 AM   #4
endgame
Hall Of Famer

It seems so fitting that Watts defers to serendipity for names. For some reason, it all makes me think of Bobbuttons. I'll have to look into just why. Maybe it's because I've always found both of their posting styles, hence them, interesting. Thanks for that.

I struggle often with names, and with league names very rarely, though I did have an occasion recently. I resolved to name it after its intention. Why was it there, and what did it have to prove? What significance could it hold? Dictionaries, Roget's, etymological research, a trip two or three into the Oxford English histories, and I'd settle on one. Eventually. I've been with the umbrella league, the Covenant, since version 6 and 6.5 so the few changes I've made have been like a big Jenga game, wondering when it would all collapse. It did. And I had to found the Quondam League, where teams that once were could rival for attention and the right to be again. It's a loathsome process. Then add cities and team names and ..... I should never sleep.

Last edited by endgame; 02-24-2020 at 01:38 AM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Years ago, when cards and dice Strat-O-Matic was my gaming obsession, I created the W.P. Kinsella league, which consisted of about 12 (IIRC) very good to great teams from baseball history playing out an 81 game schedule. (I want to say that the 1956 Yankees ended up meeting the 1977 Dodgers in the World Series. But it was a long time ago and I can't be sure I'm remembering correctly. I think my favorite- the 1984 Tigers- came in second in the A.L. I didn't use Kinsella sub-league names like I do in my OOTP save.)

Yes, I was also obsessed with the works of the late W.P. Kinsella at that time too.

Ever since that has been my go-to. And it works even better with a fictional OOTP universe.

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #6
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
It seems so fitting that Watts defers to serendipity for names. For some reason, it all makes me think of Bobbuttons. I'll have to look into just why. Maybe it's because I've always found both of their posting styles, hence them, interesting. Thanks for that.

I struggle often with names, and with league names very rarely, though I did have an occasion recently. I resolved to name it after its intention. Why was it there, and what did it have to prove? What significance could it hold? Dictionaries, Roget's, etymological research, a trip two or three into the Oxford English histories, and I'd settle on one. Eventually. I've been with the umbrella league, the Covenant, since version 6 and 6.5 so the few changes I've made have been like a big Jenga game, wondering when it would all collapse. It did. And I had to found the Quondam League, where teams that once were could rival for attention and the right to be again. It's a loathsome process. Then add cities and team names and ..... I should never sleep.
Back in 1982 I dated a girl named Sara N Dipity and she broke my heart I haven't been the same since.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i'll use historical player names for divisions, and keep the larger categories generic regional names like East, West etc. i don't use subleagues anymore, but i just stuck to AL/NL when i did. Not much different effort than random words heard on the tv or radio, lol. i try not to spend much time on this.

i tend to like the real-world logos and such over made-up ones. they look much more professional and less cartoony. so, i try to name things so i can re-use that stuff. takes the choices out of it, which is good for me.

also, those names in the OP have a bit of an eerie connection to each other. except for 'clearer skin,' it seems this guy's mistress has him in a ringer!

(the source(s) of names not the OP, of course... then again... maybe, it wasn't so random?)

Last edited by NoOne; 02-24-2020 at 12:02 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:25 PM   #8
cavebutter
All Star Starter

My league names are all pretty generic: US Professional Baseball League; Can-Am League, South American Baseball, etc.

It's sub-leagues and divisions that give me fits.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #9
Gruber_Tagged_Him
Minors (Triple A)

I have to say, when my slugger won MVP of the "If Tina Has Her Baby" league I'd never notice because I would have fallen off of my chair laughing the instant I named the league and would never ever be able to take it seriously...

I have very generic league names, usually involving "Federation" at the end. Divisions are typically named after good players from the early days of the league.

I did have a "Mary Kay" division once, because I realized I had 4 teams with pink uni's. They totally didn't belong in a division since they were spread over 3 continents but meh.
Gruber_Tagged_Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:29 PM   #10
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
When you create a league to do you spend time coming up with a name for it? I always end up going with something I just heard on the radio or television. Right now there are 4 leagues on my OOTP 20:
Clearer Skin
If Tina has her Baby
Medical Records and
Pay her Rent.
It sounds like your leagues are all sponsored by daytime television!

May I suggest "You are NOT the father!" for the name of your next league?

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:50 AM   #11
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Ah, I guess I should have been more clear. What I'm talking about here is the name the league is listed under when you select it from the league menu. So, it doesn't come up in new stories and such.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:48 AM   #12
stevem810
All Star Starter

I like to use a geographical cue that points immediately to where the action takes place. I am mostly an on-line league player, but my one active solo effort (Career of Julien Henri) is called the French Baseball League.

I am quite happy using it. The 3 'leagues' are all french geographical areas, so it works quite well.
stevem810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:28 PM   #13
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Ah, I guess I should have been more clear. What I'm talking about here is the name the league is listed under when you select it from the league menu. So, it doesn't come up in new stories and such.
Slightly confusing thing, there are 2 names for your league. 1 for the league itself & 1 for your new sim.

(It's perfect, of course.)

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:05 AM   #14
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Ah, I should have said "game name" instead of "league name." Ugh!
Old 02-29-2020, 06:35 PM   #15
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

ah, i just name that the league name -- shortened if necessary.

MLB.lg

maybe the starting year, or something to differentiate if another of the same name exists.

With those leagues, i'd go with "Dr Phill.lg" maybe a daytime theme like "General Baseball" or Days of our Careers" HAHA All My Prospects ... days of our lives works on its own too.

sub league ideas -- something funny related to your randomly choosen league names. a little personal improv... ugh.. improv. i think mimes and magicians are more entertaining.

when at improve and they ask for names, offer:
jeffrey dahmer
Bill Cosby
michael jackson
Weinstein
et al...

Locations:
well... you get the idea... LoL those without a sense of humor will get their p%$ies in a bunch if i continue.

Last edited by NoOne; 02-29-2020 at 06:44 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote