Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
Tinkerman
All Star Starter

Time zone torture

I've only been playing PT since the October sales, when I finally updated from 17. It's been a learning process and it's clear that quite a bit about the game is wonky, but I accept that that's kind of inevitable.

However... living in the UK and being several hours ahead of the US is proving to be my biggest issue. Virtually every auction that I'm interested in ends at around 2 in the morning. The general unavailability of certain cards, some of which defy logic, doesn't help because it encourages people to be greedy and set BINs too high. I don't have much hope that the international player base is going to expand massively, so I don't see things improving, unless the developers make specific changes with time zones in mind.

The two suggestions I have are firstly, I think it would be healthy for the game in general if cards had a maximum price. Dynamic so it can change with popularity. And secondly, having live auctions neither show the highest bid, nor tell you if your bid is the highest. The auction shows the starting price, the BIN price and the number of bids, but does not update the starting price as bids come in. People bid what they like and find out if they have won at the close. This is simply to avoid having to be at your pc at the close. I'm sure these will be universally unpopular with the flip kings, but if the prospect is for 21 to be set up the same, I'll probably end up playing OOTP XX franchise mode for the foreseeable!

Last edited by Tinkerman; 12-11-2019 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Clarity
Tinkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #2
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Bury hope when it comes to accomodations for international players right away. There is no point. 90% or more of the players will be inside the four main US time zones. Nobody is going to start with a collectible card game like this if they aren't into baseball to begin with. And if you are in the UK you might well know that nobody you know is, either.

Also, the game does not show the highest bid for auctions (unless yours is the highest).

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #3
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

You must be misunderstanding how auctions work. There is no need to be at your computer when they end, just put in the most you are willing to buy it for then go to bed.

The advantage of sniping at the last second is that you keep your points liquid in case a better deal pops up, but if you aren't at the computer anyway that doesn't matter.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #4
Tinkerman
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Also, the game does not show the highest bid for auctions (unless yours is the highest).
It shows the highest that 2 people have bid.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #5
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

After reading again, auctions literally work the way you suggest that they should work so I'm not sure what you want here...

Having a max price is an obviously terrible idea. Ultimate Team does price bands and they are either so high as to be meaningless or the market value creeps above it and the card becomes completely extinct until it gets raised anyway.

You are right about availability for certain cards being a huge issue. This is mainly due to collections. They are a new feature this year so some growing pains are expected but hopefully the bottleneck problem can be improved next edition.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
Tinkerman
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
You must be misunderstanding how auctions work. .
I understand that, as a general rule, the earlier you bid your desired amount, the more likely you are to be outbid/pay over the odds. In the case of collection bottlenecks, there's a lot of motivation for people to pay just a little bit more.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #7
Tinkerman
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
After reading again, auctions literally work the way you suggest that they should work.
I've edited my post to make it slightly clearer.

And I think it's reasonable to hope for/expect better from the OOTP team than ea.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

I still don't get your complaint.

You already do not have to be at your PC when it closes which is why the OOTP auction system is infinitely better than ultimate team. If there's a player at 50K bid expiring overnight who I'm willing to pay 70K for, then I just put 70K in, go to bed, then wake up and see if I've won. I guess maybe it gives a chance for someone to consider bidding more, but if it's their true high bid they should have just put it in originally so I don't really worry about that.

A maximum price does nothing other than screw some inexperienced players who pack the card and aren't keeping up with the market. This is first day economics stuff. There are already cards that basically never show up, further restricting the quantity supplied would be awful.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #9
Tinkerman
All Star Starter

My complaint is basically that I'm at a disadvantage because of where I live. I can have a grumble about that and accept it. I'm sure I've outbid plenty of folk that have been asleep, so it's not like it's entirely one way.

I'm not saying that the AH is bad in any way. My suggestion is simply about normalizing things so that there is no advantage or disadvantage. The current system wouldn't even need to change as it could be an added checkbox like "keep bids hidden" that some players may choose to select. It could be interesting.

And I'm definitely happy to assume that you understand the economics of PT better than me, but I don't understand how sensibly adjusted maximum prices wouldn't speed up the movement of cards that people want quite badly. I've seen so many auctions end without being sold because they were listed well over priced. I can be impatient, but it seems like it just wastes everyone's time.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:28 PM   #10
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerman View Post
I'm not saying that the AH is bad in any way. My suggestion is simply about normalizing things so that there is no advantage or disadvantage. The current system wouldn't even need to change as it could be an added checkbox like "keep bids hidden" that some players may choose to select. It could be interesting.
Those that like to be at a self-inflicted, grim disadvantage ...?

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #11
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Add me to those that do not understand this thread.

The AH shows the highest current bid but not the highest that someone is willing to pay.

Lets say that me (I am in Switzerland) and someone in NA are bidding on the same card.

The price starts at 5,000 with a BIN of 20,000
I see the card and before I got to bed and decide I want the card. I decide that the card is worth a max of 13,000 and I will go no higher.
I bid 13,000.
That does not mean that 13,000 will show up right away.
Lets say that someone who is not one of the two people I described is scraping the AH for cheap buys hoping no one bids on a card. They bid 5,500
My bid would be over that and it would show 5,550. My 13,000 bid is still hidden.

Okay, so now the NA player gets involved after I go to bed for the night.
They try and bid 6,000 but the bid fails because my bid is still higher. They go higher and higher. They have a max bidding point as well.
Lets say they value the card less than I do. Let's say they are not willing (or able) to pay more than 11,000 for it. Sooner or later they will stop bidding and I will win the auction unless someone else gets involved.

If they valued the card at more than 13,000 then I would have lost the bid anyways even if it was daytime for me and I was online.

Maybe I am weird but every card I see I have a max I would be willing to pay for it. And I don't go over that.

It really does not matter if I am around to bid or not.
Sure my points may be tied up but I rarely if ever bid on more than two cards at once.

I really fail to see a time zone disadvantage.
I can also ASSURE you that many players set times on their auctions and fail to take into account when the auction will end.
I have been able to get some cards at massive discounts because someone wanted to make a quick PP and set the auction to last for 6 hours but did not at 10:30 PM EST or something similar.
Then I log in late morning or early afternoon for me but very early morning for NA and I find some really cheap deals.

The one downside is like someone said earlier, I have less liquid points in case I see another auction. But most of us are not commodities traders when it comes to the AH.
We buy and sell a handful of cards a week.
Those that need 'liquid' assets are checking the auction house 30+ times a day and are getting less than 3 hours of sleep anyways
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:16 PM   #12
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
It really does not matter if I am around to bid or not.
I didn't quote Rudel's entire post, but it is a perfect analysis. There is no time zone disadvantage. You bid the max that you are willing to pay and you either win or lose. It's that simple.

If somebody outbids you while you are away from the game, it doesn't matter. You would have lost anyway because you were not willing to go one point higher. If you were, then you did not bid properly in the first place and it is your fault, not the time difference.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #13
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My complaint is basically that I'm at a disadvantage because of where I live. I can have a grumble about that and accept it. I'm sure I've outbid plenty of folk that have been asleep, so it's not like it's entirely one way.
If you outbid someone who was asleep that's because you were willing to pay more for the card than they were. They should have put in their top price.

Perhaps if you gave an example it would help us understand. You see a card right before you go to bed starting at 5K bid and 20K BIN that ends in five hours. You've seen it sell for around 10K so thats what you bid. If someone else wins the auction its because they are willing to pay a premium for the card not because they were around for the end of it.

Maybe there is a slight advantage at being active during peak times (US evening) since it is more likely someone will list a card for a short period at a low bid or at a very low buy it now, but at the same time you are also competing with more players who are looking for bargains too.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:38 AM   #14
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Are we really going to all act like sniping isn't a thing that happens in the Auction House? Look, I understand what everyone is saying here, but it is also a bit disingenuous to completely ignore the certain specific tried and true strategies that are in fact time dependent.

The surest way to drive the price higher on a card than it already is is to give everyone else enough time to think and talk themselves into a higher purchasing price

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:38 AM   #15
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

[Why did that post twice? Sorry]

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:35 AM   #16
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
I've only been playing PT since the October sales, when I finally updated from 17. It's been a learning process and it's clear that quite a bit about the game is wonky, but I accept that that's kind of inevitable.

However... living in the UK and being several hours ahead of the US is proving to be my biggest issue. Virtually every auction that I'm interested in ends at around 2 in the morning. The general unavailability of certain cards, some of which defy logic, doesn't help because it encourages people to be greedy and set BINs too high. I don't have much hope that the international player base is going to expand massively, so I don't see things improving, unless the developers make specific changes with time zones in mind.

The two suggestions I have are firstly, I think it would be healthy for the game in general if cards had a maximum price. Dynamic so it can change with popularity. And secondly, having live auctions neither show the highest bid, nor tell you if your bid is the highest. The auction shows the starting price, the BIN price and the number of bids, but does not update the starting price as bids come in. People bid what they like and find out if they have won at the close. This is simply to avoid having to be at your pc at the close. I'm sure these will be universally unpopular with the flip kings, but if the prospect is for 21 to be set up the same, I'll probably end up playing OOTP XX franchise mode for the foreseeable!
The argument against a max auction price has been that it would be unhealthy for the economy. But in your case, and other cases I imagine anyway, if the max price was not too high & not too low, I feel like it would be good for the economy because more people would attempt to field a competitive "perfect" team without getting to the point that they feel they cannot compete with the best teams...

If the max bid were 250 000 and 2000 teams were involved/competing in bidding on such cards and they bought 5 cards apiece,

That's more than the card going for 600 000 with only 300 players in..

Many more players can probably afford 225K-250K for a card.

It wouldn't make competing a moot point if more people could pay the high price because they may only be able to afford a few of these cards and there are plenty of best cards and ways to use them and combinations.

I'm kinda just rambling but I don't think it's a bad idea. It wouldn't be a cap on number of packs being bought or total action in the auction house, just a max on the price a single card can be sold for.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:33 AM   #17
Marleigh
All Star Reserve

I'm in the UK and haven't had any issues winning open bid auctions.

The main auction house disadvantages are that most cheap cards are listed while we are asleep (making it almost impossible for us to make PP by flipping), very few new cards are listed during our daytime/evening and very few of our cards are bought during daytime/evening. I've learned to live with that as things will never be balanced around the tiny % of non american players

Marleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #18
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Easy flipping is almost dead anyway after the last 7 bug was fixed.

I will note the irony here in that a maximum price is WORSE for someone playing outside the US because now that auction comes down to who is online at the time the card is listed instead of everyone having a chance to bid their maximum.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #19
Tinkerman
All Star Starter

Yes, buying your average card is a doddle. Low bid wait n see, BIN for a reasonable price etc. I've been after cards like Houston Street, which are coming up VERY rarely and going for top dollar. The only reasonable BIN I've seen for street was before I had a good enough idea of his real cost and passed it up. Every other auction for Street (that I've seen) has closed at around 2am with a host of interest and plenty of pp. I get the impression that a lot of PL players have turned to collection missions only recently.

I played fifa up until several years ago and since it's birth in the 90's, when ea were industry leaders in the right way... I ground millions of coins in ut and all that jazz. Then I realized it was rank and deleted the game. In part because I could feel the ai manipulating too much of the gameplay, but mainly because I hated the game revolving around a messed up economy. The last thing I want to do in PT is grind for pp.

That's where the collection missions come in, which I dismissed initially as being for the folks who've opened thousands of packs. On closer inspection, they're a fantastic avenue for someone like me to get into the game. Even with a bit of a crash, the missions will pay for themselves, with the main sticking point obviously being card availability. I can't throw pp around yet and with the L7 so easily influenced, I'm trying not to personally inflate the market for myself!
Old 12-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #20
Tinkerman
All Star Starter

The idea is for the maximum to be a sensible extreme that is considered the most anyone should pay for any given card. Not to have everyone snapping the card up for the max. It should be like a last resort for acquiring a hard to get card, with the side effect of preventing so many over priced cards sitting in the AH for 2 days.