Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Words VS. Action

I am currently playing OOTP 18. I have just started a full season GMing the Padres. My computer isn't the best in the world so instead of using the little salt and pepper players to watch a game, I have to use the words and female robot PBP.
So I wondered...how do you all feel about words vs. action?? I know OOTP 19 is now actual players on the field like a regular video game, but before OOTP advanced, did you guys prefer the words/PBP or the little players??

Did you like imagination or reality in front of you?
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I have to say words, but 9 times out of 10 I don't read the play by play. I just look at the play result. So if all it said was groundout 6-3, I would be just as happy.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Words. Gave the new 3D a try then went back to classic 2D.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:53 PM   #4
Reggie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I have to say words, but 9 times out of 10 I don't read the play by play. I just look at the play result. So if all it said was groundout 6-3, I would be just as happy.
19 is the first version I don't look at the PBP regularly. In 18 if the play was obvious ( like a single ) I'd just move onto the next batter. The only play in 19 I might look at the PBP is a play at the plate. The graphics there doesn't always tell the truth. Runner could be laying across the plate reading a book and still be called out. Other than that I really don't pay attention much to the PBP.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I enjoy 3D but will probably play more 2D because it is my preferred way of playing.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #6
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Does these answers have anything to do with imagination? Cause, even though it is robotic, it does feel like it's on radio. Plus, I've noticed that the phrasing, or baseball lingo, is better on OOTP than on The Show.

I dunno...maybe it's just me
Old 04-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #7
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
I am currently playing OOTP 18. I have just started a full season GMing the Padres. My computer isn't the best in the world so instead of using the little salt and pepper players to watch a game, I have to use the words and female robot PBP.
So I wondered...how do you all feel about words vs. action?? I know OOTP 19 is now actual players on the field like a regular video game, but before OOTP advanced, did you guys prefer the words/PBP or the little players??

Did you like imagination or reality in front of you?
I loved the text & thought it was really well done.

I still read it in addition to the action on the field.

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #8
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

The ONLY, ONLY, ONLY thing I wish OOTPB had, for a better baseball experience, was a little longer post game wrap-up or something. I don't like the "This one's in the books. The Dodgers beat the Giants 4-3." Off. Done.
I know that's what the box wrap up is in text with the players or managers having comments after the game is over. But it would've been cool to have the robotic voice maybe say it for them.

"Manager Dave Roberts said, "This game was a must win. Everyone contributed to this and we'll enjoy it today." THEN..Off. Done.

Again...maybe that's just me.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:29 PM   #9
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
19 is the first version I don't look at the PBP regularly. In 18 if the play was obvious ( like a single ) I'd just move onto the next batter. The only play in 19 I might look at the PBP is a play at the plate. The graphics there doesn't always tell the truth. Runner could be laying across the plate reading a book and still be called out. Other than that I really don't pay attention much to the PBP.
The graphics are cool, but playing that slow would give me a headache if I did it for more than the occasional game here or there. Even when I do try the 3D out, I find myself switching back to 2D Classic after a few innings.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:11 PM   #10
DaBears
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
The ONLY, ONLY, ONLY thing I wish OOTPB had, for a better baseball experience, was a little longer post game wrap-up or something. I don't like the "This one's in the books. The Dodgers beat the Giants 4-3." Off. Done.
I know that's what the box wrap up is in text with the players or managers having comments after the game is over. But it would've been cool to have the robotic voice maybe say it for them.

"Manager Dave Roberts said, "This game was a must win. Everyone contributed to this and we'll enjoy it today." THEN..Off. Done.

Again...maybe that's just me.
I get what you’re saying, but it made me remember my childhood listening to Jack Buck. “That’s a winner. Cardinals win it 6-3. Totals and highlights ina moment.” That was it.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:19 PM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Action.. I don't even read the PbP anymore. Love watching my little guys moving around, making plays.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:29 AM   #12
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Action.. I don't even read the PbP anymore. Love watching my little guys moving around, making plays.
Me too. A shortstop dives to make a play, and I realize it is Ozzie Smith that I am virtually watching. OOTP 19 with the players in 3D and enlarged to 170 is amazing. Addicting.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #13
Tunnelrunner
Minors (Single A)

Very interesting topic. This is the classic books vs. Movies question. Strangely enough, I'm always going to go with the books over other media because of the unlimited potential of human imagination. It's also why Interactive Fiction/Text Adventures and Roguelikes continue to have their own "cult" followings. Having said all that though, I really do prefer the actual 3D player animations of OOTP Baseball 19. YMMV, but sports games are one genre where I actually do want to see how the action plays out exactly vs. me having to visualize it in my own way. Maybe it's because I just want the exact precision and knowing exactly what the positioning was for a certain play for example (in say, football).

Last edited by Tunnelrunner; 04-05-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Tunnelrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #14
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
Me too. A shortstop dives to make a play, and I realize it is Ozzie Smith that I am virtually watching. OOTP 19 with the players in 3D and enlarged to 170 is amazing. Addicting.
I agree. It is really fulfilling to watch a great fielder make a play...........Z
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #15
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

I hate to say this because I know the Dev team has worked so hard on 3D and re rightfully proud of it. But, the new and shiny wore off it pretty quick for me and I'm back to 2D and the full PBP. I just like that better.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:53 PM   #16
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if i don't control the action, it's not of much interest. also, it's only a graphical representation of the simulation, as opposed to applying physics on the ball flight etc.. that stuff is part of the # crunchign in a way, but the action that you see is an after thought and nothign to do with how ootp runs.

it would hve to be stunningly beautiful and accurate to life for me to have interest. since it's 100% asthetic in nature, i'd rather other stuff be worked on.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:41 AM   #17
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is me, too. And that's saying something, because I tend to be very conservative in this regard. Yet, I find it better now to just follow the action on the field with short, instant PbP showing for confirmation and allowing me to advance the game after a routine out (I also play one pitch mode).

But here's the thing. Not that they would, but OOTPD should not give up on developing and maintaining the PbP for the sake of the animation. As Mr. Marlin just demonstrated, some people prefer the PbP and 2D. I myself may go with longer and slower PbP if I play out a major game, such as in the World Series.

Isn't it wonderful that we have these choices?

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #18
Siv
Major Leagues

I was a pure classic pbp watcher, but after the 3D in 19 I am hooked on the action. It reminds of Micro League.
Siv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:01 AM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
This is me, too. And that's saying something, because I tend to be very conservative in this regard. Yet, I find it better now to just follow the action on the field with short, instant PbP showing for confirmation and allowing me to advance the game after a routine out (I also play one pitch mode).

But here's the thing. Not that they would, but OOTPD should not give up on developing and maintaining the PbP for the sake of the animation. As Mr. Marlin just demonstrated, some people prefer the PbP and 2D. I myself may go with longer and slower PbP if I play out a major game, such as in the World Series.

Isn't it wonderful that we have these choices?
No doubt. My next wish is for text to speech to make a leap where it matches up with the play.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #20
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No doubt. My next wish is for text to speech to make a leap where it matches up with the play.
I am with you on that one.........Z
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote