Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Hotfix 21.1.33 - OOTP 21 Available - FHM 6 Available

OOTP Baseball 21 Available Now!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 06:04 AM   #1
hawkeye_de
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 12
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5x in 1 post
MLB vs Minor League

Hi,

since I plan to buy a video-on-demand subscription to get more into baseball:

Would you say that MLB games are much more attractive to watch than Minor League games? I am asking because the fee for video-on-demand is considerable lower for the minor league - although MLB.TV has a big advantage since it streams in HD.
hawkeye_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer
 
ukhotstove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North of England Gods Country
Posts: 6,916
Thanks: 665
Thanked 595x in 407 posts
I actually used to get the MLB subscription but because of ESPN don't feel the need anymore, have to say though it is worth it if you have time to watch say a game or two a day. Have you thought about getting the MLB.tv app for ipod or ipad, I think it's around £12 but you get a free live game per day plus if you do get MLB.tv you'll also be able to watch it on your ipod/ipad.
__________________
Wigan Athletic
2013 FA Cup Winners.
2014 FA Cup Semi Finalists.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
UKRedSox
Major Leagues
 
UKRedSox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cumbria/Isle of Wight, England
Posts: 416
Thanks: 207
Thanked 40x in 32 posts
I have MLB.tv, subscription is $99. I don't have the satellite package to get the ESPN feed.

I find it very cheap as I usually watch over 100 games a season live so it works out a less than a buck a game.

I looked at the MLIB packages but seeing I live in the UK at the time I looked most games were in the evening (US time) and that wasn't much good too me five hours ahead with time difference.
UKRedSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
hawkeye_de
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 12
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5x in 1 post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
I actually used to get the MLB subscription but because of ESPN don't feel the need anymore, have to say though it is worth it if you have time to watch say a game or two a day. Have you thought about getting the MLB.tv app for ipod or ipad, I think it's around £12 but you get a free live game per day plus if you do get MLB.tv you'll also be able to watch it on your ipod/ipad.
Have no iPad...I have a HD-capable netbook with HDMI output.

There is ESPN access in Germany via cable TV, but the subscription for that package (not standalone available) is 2x the fee of MLB.TV and it would be no HD.

What happens after the season has ended...do you have still access to the archives or wanna MLB then sell the stuff on iTunes (so you have no access?)...I've seen that there is already stuff available on iTunes...
hawkeye_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Chicagofan76
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Diamond, IL
Posts: 6,339
Thanks: 3,340
Thanked 580x in 506 posts
Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Sell what do u do that u live in China and r u Chinese? just wondering.

to the OP It depends on what u like, where u live, who u want to support.
I dont have any MLB packages this yr. I did when I lived close to St Louis so I can see my White Sox. Most of the minor league teams around chicagoland are not on regular tv. So the only time i see them is when i go to a game.
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
mrcoach00
Minors (Triple A)
 
mrcoach00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 217
Thanks: 101
Thanked 21x in 20 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye_de View Post
Would you say that MLB games are much more attractive to watch than Minor League games?
If you are looking to get further into baseball, I would say MLB is the way to go. Don't get me wrong, I love minor league ball, and I go to probably a couple of dozen single A games each year. BUT, it's hard to talk about minor league baseball to most fans of the game, because there is no team or name recognition.

Think of it this way...
A) I say "Josh Hamilton" and most think, "He's a hell of a hitter, All-Star, had an awesome homerun derby, and he has a tremendous story behind him."

B) I say "Pierre LePage" and everyone says, "Who?" [He was drafted in the 13th round by the Cubs last summer and is currently my favorite Peoria Chief.]

Just my two cents!
mrcoach00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
jmm8356 (05-14-2011)
Old 05-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
Chicagofan76
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Diamond, IL
Posts: 6,339
Thanks: 3,340
Thanked 580x in 506 posts
Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoach00 View Post
I

B) I say "Pierre LePage" and everyone says, "Who?" [He was drafted in the 13th round by the Cubs last summer and is currently my favorite Peoria Chief.]

Just my two cents!
My dad went to see the Kane County Cougars beat the Peoria Chiefs yesterday 4-0
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
95Marinerschangedmylife
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 182
Thanks: 70
Thanked 30x in 25 posts
In my opinion, you want the MLB package. I love going to minor league games because its less people, you always get a good seat, and it really seems like a great feel of baseball at the park. I dont know if that translates on TV.
95Marinerschangedmylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,313
Thanks: 7,736
Thanked 3,184x in 1,959 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Marinerschangedmylife View Post
In my opinion, you want the MLB package. I love going to minor league games because its less people, you always get a good seat, and it really seems like a great feel of baseball at the park. I dont know if that translates on TV.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ This. Emphatic +1. If you were living in the U.S., you could get the minor league baseball game experience, which is not to be missed if you get a chance. However, if you're talking about television, there's absolutely no comparison: MLB all the way.

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-14-2011 at 06:06 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
Lusche
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5x in 5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye_de View Post
What happens after the season has ended...do you have still access to the archives or wanna MLB then sell the stuff on iTunes (so you have no access?)...I've seen that there is already stuff available on iTunes...
you'll have access to the archives back to 2006 ... so i think you can watch every game from 2006-now

i also got the milb.tv deal for 10$ a complete year ... i think its every aaa game and selected aa and a games, but the stream quality is pretty bad compared to the mlb.tv hd streams and some games dont have comments or only one camera but hey its was only 10$ for me so
i only got it to support baseball not really watching minor league games

Last edited by Lusche; 05-14-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Lusche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #11
mrcoach00
Minors (Triple A)
 
mrcoach00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 217
Thanks: 101
Thanked 21x in 20 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Marinerschangedmylife View Post
In my opinion, you want the MLB package. I love going to minor league games because its less people, you always get a good seat, and it really seems like a great feel of baseball at the park. I dont know if that translates on TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ This. Emphatic +1. If you were living in the U.S., you could get the minor league baseball game experience, which is not to be missed if you get a chance. However, if you're talking about television, there's absolutely no comparison: MLB all the way.

The above two get it. When I'm at my local minor league stadium I feel like a big fish in a small pond, as though I'm truly appreciated, and the experience is MUCH lighter on my wallet.

Watching MLB on TV and seeing Minor League Baseball in person is the way to go in my humble estimation. That being said, if someone has an extra ticket to a MLB game I'm not going to turn it down!
mrcoach00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:31 AM   #12
hawkeye_de
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 12
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5x in 1 post
Thx for your feedback. I've now subscripted to MLB.TV and I enjoy it...the only thing, which disturbs me is the high-frequency of the commercials - even when you're looking archived games.
hawkeye_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #13
jmm8356
All Star Starter
 
jmm8356's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lafayette IN (by way of Tonawanda NY)
Posts: 1,673
Thanks: 211
Thanked 38x in 23 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye_de View Post
Thx for your feedback. I've now subscripted to MLB.TV and I enjoy it...the only thing, which disturbs me is the high-frequency of the commercials - even when you're looking archived games.
Well... the commercials make the archive possible. (See "Money makes the world go 'round.")

You could always take up a secondary hobby... like... knitting or... fly fishing... to pass the time while the commercials play. Just kidding!
__________________
Jeremy from Tonawanda --- Go Cubbies! --- Unofficial Theta Tester(tm)
"Oh, we got both kinds. We got country and western!"
From OOTP 6: Designated for Assignment FAQ (Includes both problems and solutions! Ooooo! )
jmm8356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
minor league baseball, mlb

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 AM.

 

Major League and Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of Major League Baseball. Visit MLB.com and MiLB.com.

Officially Licensed Product – MLB Players, Inc.

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2020 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2020 Out of the Park Developments