Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #21
Thomidor
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
That's all good and fine; however, when you just drop an attack and then don't stick around for the heat that follows, it doesn't look good.

Also--you know we can see that you edited your original post in the Steam review thread, right? We're not fools in this community.
Never said you were. People are allowed to change their opinion. I also did not realize there was a given time frame in which people are required to sit in front of their screen and wait after a post. I will tell my girlfriend next time I can't go help her because you said I have to sit and wait for people to respond.
Thomidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:36 AM   #22
slugga27
All Star Starter

In any event...your review from Steam, which I will use to be constructive about how you can fix the problems you are having...(bolding is mine)

Buying this game was a huge mistake. It's not even close to a MLB type simulation. It's more like a little league simulation with constant passed balls and wild pitches. My entire pitching staff is tired from games that resemble football more than MLB scores (17-14 loss when I was up by 10 runs). Give me a break.

There are settings you can adjust to get statistics more to your liking. For instance, in the Stats&AI section of league settings, you can reduce the frequency of passed balls and wild pitches. The closer to 0, the fewer you will see.

As far as losing a game 17-14 after being up by 10...I present you with a link chock full of real life examples...https://www.baseball-reference.com/f...ack-wins.shtml

Now, my issue is you are coming here legitimately on the attack. (I'm not quite sure how there isn't more uproar.) Is OOTP perfect? No. Like any software, there's bugs, glitches, etc. The thing that sets OOTP apart from the rest is the customization. As mentioned above, there are settings you can change.
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #23
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomidor View Post
I truly appreciate all the comments that everyone has thrown out showing their successes. It does give me some hope, but it is extremely frustrating to watch the way the game unfolds and it seems like miracle after miracle happens for the teams I face every game. I completely understand it ha[pens in baseball, but I have never seen it happen time and time again. Yes, win streaks and losing streaks happen, but to lose 6 games a row when heading into the 9th with an excellent closer or setup man is extremely frustrating. I am glad to know that several people have won a World Series, because it does give a glimmer of hope. Thanks for all the positive feedback and it makes my mind at better ease to see that there is success to be found.

I don't live on forums all day long waiting for posts and people to respond. I have a job, family and things to do in my household.
This is a very productive response and I apologize if I was overly harsh with you in my post in this thread.
I think you will find though that if can come here with questions and concerns rather than taking a more aggressive approach you will get much better responses. We are always happy to help and the learning curve for this game is indeed steep.

But if anything I think you'll find that the more common concern isn't how hard it is to win, but rather how easy it is once you have conquered that learning curve. With my current team (in the signature below) I have only won a single championship but in other saves with OOTP I have won several. If anything most of us are always looking for more and more challenging ways to play the game so that winning doesn't become boring.

If you aren't ready to throw your hands up in the air and declare the game a dud, then hang in there and ask questions and study what others share here in the way of tips and tricks and insights as to how the game works. And be prepared to be frustrated along the way. Just as you would be following or managing a real-life MLB team. Even the best of teams will go through horrible stretches where nothing seems to go their way. (I am currently experiencing that with my Denver Brewers and yes, sometimes you want to scream. But then, like in real-life, if they are a good team- and my Brewers are a very good team- they will right themselves again and reel off a bunch of wins.)

EDIT: And this is how boring winning does sometimes become. I mentioned above that my Brewers had only won a single championship thus far. Actually, they've won two in twelve seasons. I lost count. I guess I remember the tough years better than the good ones.

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717

Last edited by BirdWatcher; 07-07-2020 at 11:52 AM.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #24
Thomidor
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
In any event...your review from Steam, which I will use to be constructive about how you can fix the problems you are having...(bolding is mine)

Buying this game was a huge mistake. It's not even close to a MLB type simulation. It's more like a little league simulation with constant passed balls and wild pitches. My entire pitching staff is tired from games that resemble football more than MLB scores (17-14 loss when I was up by 10 runs). Give me a break.

There are settings you can adjust to get statistics more to your liking. For instance, in the Stats&AI section of league settings, you can reduce the frequency of passed balls and wild pitches. The closer to 0, the fewer you will see.

As far as losing a game 17-14 after being up by 10...I present you with a link chock full of real life examples...https://www.baseball-reference.com/f...ack-wins.shtml

Now, my issue is you are coming here legitimately on the attack. (I'm not quite sure how there isn't more uproar.) Is OOTP perfect? No. Like any software, there's bugs, glitches, etc. The thing that sets OOTP apart from the rest is the customization. As mentioned above, there are settings you can change.
I have been searching and apparently can not find that. Thus my long existence on the forums today. I am searching for that and if players themselves can be adjusted. I have a player on my roster that is not even close to real life performance in (albeit only 1 category). He is rated with a below average speed, but in fact has blazing speed and i one of the fastest players on the roster, but here is one of the slowest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
If you aren't ready to throw your hands up in the air and declare the game a dud, then hang in there and ask questions and study what others share here in the way of tips and tricks and insights as to how the game works. And be prepared to be frustrated along the way. Just as you would be following or managing a real-life MLB team. Even the best of teams will go through horrible stretches where nothing seems to go their way. (I am currently experiencing that with my Denver Brewers and yes, sometimes you want to scream. But then, like in real-life, if they are a good team- and my Brewers are a very good team- they will right themselves again and reel off a bunch of wins.)
I am not ready to throw my hands up, and am sticking with it. Many of the posts (even harsh ones) refreshed my mind and put me in a positive mind set of the game and giving it my all to conquer.

Last edited by Thomidor; 07-07-2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #25
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Well said. Stick with it, I'm sure you will have fun.

See this old thread in which we all suffered disappointment.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...light=playoffs

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:12 PM   #26
slugga27
All Star Starter

I have been searching and apparently can not find that. Thus my long existence on the forums today. I am searching for that and if players themselves can be adjusted. I have a player on my roster that is not even close to real life performance in (albeit only 1 category). He is rated with a below average speed, but in fact has blazing speed and i one of the fastest players on the roster, but here is one of the slowest.

Who is the player (out of curiosity)? In any event, you can edit players to your heart's content by going into commissioner mode (see screenshot

I am not ready to throw my hands up, and am sticking with it. Many of the posts (even harsh ones) refreshed my mind and put me in a positive mind set of the game and giving it my all to conquer.[/QUOTE]
Attached Images
Old 07-07-2020, 12:25 PM   #27
Thomidor
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:

[B]Who is the player (out of curiosity)?
Raimel Tapia...

Last edited by Thomidor; 07-07-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:32 PM   #28
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, win streaks and losing streaks happen, but to lose 6 games a row when heading into the 9th with an excellent closer or setup man is extremely frustrating..
How do you know they are excellent? Is scouting set to 100% accurate and overall based on all players is checked?

Even then anyone can have a losing streak. Sure it sucks but it's only 6 games, there's 156 left. Least it's not a 60 game schedule then those 6 games would really suck
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:36 PM   #29
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Raimel Tapia...
I'm not a Rockies fan (though I see why you thought that). In any event, I don't know if I consider him one of the fastest players in baseball. See this screenshot. He ranks fourth or fifth on the Rockies, depending on which metric you use.

To further this, what specific issue is there with his speed rating? Also--unless you're using 100% accuracy, the ratings are based on your scout's perception. Currently, my scout is showing 59 speed/77 steal rating. Through June 11th, he's 7 for 9 in stolen base attempts. In real life, he has stolen 17 bases in 22 attempts, with most of those (9 steals in 12 attempts) coming in 2019.
Attached Images
Old 07-07-2020, 12:38 PM   #30
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutS|der View Post
How do you know they are excellent? Is scouting set to 100% accurate and overall based on all players is checked?

Even then anyone can have a losing streak. Sure it sucks but it's only 6 games, there's 156 left. Least it's not a 60 game schedule then those 6 games would really suck
This. I'm sure the Red Sox, when they picked up Eric Gagne at the deadline in 2007, thought there was something wrong with their game when he was completely useless down the stretch.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #31
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:

I am not ready to throw my hands up, and am sticking with it. Many of the posts (even harsh ones) refreshed my mind and put me in a positive mind set of the game and giving it my all to conquer.
Quote:
I'm not a Rockies fan (though I see why you thought that). In any event, I don't know if I consider him one of the fastest players in baseball. See this screenshot. He ranks fourth or fifth on the Rockies, depending on which metric you use.
By a strange coincidence, Tapia is actually the 5th fastest player on the Rockies according to OOTP's speed ratings (Not below average by any means).

That being said, speed in OOTP does not correlate directly to straight line, Statcast measured speed in real life. It has more to do with functional speed and especially has a lot to do with how often a player will try to steal bases.

Plus, it doesn't stand on it's own, it also works in concert with the Stealing Ability and Baserunning ratings, both of which are even higher than speed for Tapia.

Tapia has never stolen more than 33 bases in real life (and only 9 in the majors last year)and especially given his good ratings in Stealing Ability and Baserunning, he would end up being unrealistically prolific and efficient as a base stealer if you were to up his speed ratings by a significant amount.

However if you still want to change his speed, just turn on commissioner mode from your manager options page, and then each player will have an 'editor' tab on their player page. You can go there and edit the speed or any other ratings you like to whatever you want them to be.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 07-07-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:12 PM   #32
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

I am a Rockies fan, but not always one who follows the team closely (too busy with OOTP ) and I think Tapia is a challenge in this regard. I am finding articles from 2017 that indicate that he was the 4th fastest, by sprint speed, in the MLB but the information I found from baseballsavant.com shows him as being 21st in baseball that year. Still, yes, very fast.

But his 2019 ranking by this measure was 97th.
I have always thought of him as very fast and there could be other factors that I am not aware of in the variance from year to year in his rankings in sprint speed.

Name:  Capture 27.PNG
Views: 280
Size:  14.4 KB

I haven't looked to see how the game rates him in this regard. If he rates as slow, well, I would think that wouldn't be accurate. However, if it is just that he doesn't rate as having blazing speed, well that might be a matter of the game being statistically based and the stats showing something different than our perceptions of this player. Tapia also was a very good base-stealer at the minor league level but hasn't shown much of that at the big league level.

I like Tapia and I'm always hoping he will finally blossom into a big league ball player (he has certainly shown some promise in short stretches only to regress again). But if he is an important member of your club in any way beyond the most incidental, it probably doesn't bode well for your team, sadly.

EDIT: Never mind. Better answer from Lukas above while I was typing this.

The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717

Last edited by BirdWatcher; 07-07-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:17 PM   #33
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
I haven't looked to see how the game rates him in this regard. If he rates as slow, well, I would think that wouldn't be accurate. However, if it is just that he doesn't rate as having blazing speed, well that might be a matter of the game being statistically based and the stats showing something different than our perceptions of this player. Tapia also was a very good base-stealer at the minor league level but hasn't shown much of that at the big league level.
117 speed, 131 basestealing and 151 baserunning.

That's more based on his recent MLB and high minors performance where he doesn't run much but is pretty efficient when he does.

The speed and stealing/baserunning ratings would probably flip if we were taking into greater account his earlier minorleague career, when he was stealing a lot of bases but at poor efficiency but based on his recent performances at the higher levels, those ratings are pretty spot on.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 07-07-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:23 PM   #34
Thomidor
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:

To further this, what specific issue is there with his speed rating? Also--unless you're using 100% accuracy, the ratings are based on your scout's perception. Currently, my scout is showing 59 speed/77 steal rating. Through June 11th, he's 7 for 9 in stolen base attempts. In real life, he has stolen 17 bases in 22 attempts, with most of those (9 steals in 12 attempts) coming in 2019.
I wouldn't say fastest in baseball, prior to Hilliard and Diaz coming in this season he was on of the fastest on the roster. Far more deserving of a speed rating than 45.

Quote:
Because I am a devoted Rockies fan and watch him. The guy is fast much faster than what the stats reveal. I will have to check out the commissioner stuff and see where my scouting is set to.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #35
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post

That's more based on his recent MLB and high minors performance where he doesn't run much but is pretty efficient when he does.

The speed and baserunning ratings would probably flip if we were taking into greater account his earlier minorleague career, when he was stealing a lot of bases but at poor efficiency but based on his recent performances at the higher levels, those ratings are pretty spot on.
All makes sense to me!
And yes, other tricky thing is sorting out, as a new OOTP'er, what Speed means in the game. It makes sense to me that he is a guy who can get to his speed on the base paths (hence the higher baserunning rating) but given that he has not been shown much ability to often steal bases at the big league level (though his approx. 77% success rate is solid) his speed rating would need to be a bit lower than perhaps his actual straight-line sprint stats might suggest.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:31 PM   #36
Thomidor
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post

The speed and stealing/baserunning ratings would probably flip if we were taking into greater account his earlier minorleague career, when he was stealing a lot of bases but at poor efficiency but based on his recent performances at the higher levels, those ratings are pretty spot on.
Thanks. I still feel he is a bit underrated in the speed category. That isn't just a fan speaking.

https://youtu.be/cdB4VhxecWg
Granted it was also misplayed, but you can't deny the speed.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #37
slugga27
All Star Starter

I wouldn't say fastest in baseball, prior to Hilliard and Diaz coming in this season he was on of the fastest on the roster. Far more deserving of a speed rating than 45.

Case and point. You say he's a 45, I say he's a 59. This is dependent on how your scout values him. I do realize my error; you did say on the roster and not in baseball. I apologize.

Because I am a devoted Rockies fan and watch him. The guy is fast much faster than what the stats reveal. I will have to check out the commissioner stuff and see where my scouting is set to.

You would find your scouting accuracy info under the Global Settings tab under league settings. It is set to "Normal" by default.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #38
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well, yes, this is probably true, on the face of it. But just to amplify the point Lukas is making, the Speed rating in OOTP will drive how often the player attempts to steal bases. Thus far Tapia has not shown much confidence in this area at the big league level, in spite of his natural gifts. So in order for the game to accurately reflect his base stealing success rate without over-inflating his stolen base totals, his Speed rating has to be lower than you would intuitively expect it to be. The rating isn't a pure measure of his speed alone but interacts with other ratings in order for the game to be more accurate. Now, if you want to see Raimel attempt more stolen bases you can, as mentioned earlier, edit his Speed rating. Just understand that you are then reflecting what one thinks Tapia should be capable of, not what he has shown at the big league level thus far. You could also boost his strategy settings to have him attempt steals far more often, but just be aware that his Speed rating as is will still limit his attempts somewhat as he basically often won't get a good enough jump to go.

Old 07-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #39
Thomidor
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
You could also boost his strategy settings to have him attempt steals far more often, but just be aware that his Speed rating as is will still limit his attempts somewhat as he basically often won't get a good enough jump to go.
That brings up another question of base stealing attempts. I have so many issues with aborted base steals. No matter how many times I tell them to steal a base they chicken out. I probably give 6-7 steal base orders a game and get only one actual attempt. I that player related? league stetting related or team settings related? I have tried increasing team settings for more base stealing, but nada.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:15 PM   #40
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That brings up another question of base stealing attempts. I have so many issues with aborted base steals. No matter how many times I tell them to steal a base they chicken out. I probably give 6-7 steal base orders a game and get only one actual attempt. I that player related? league stetting related or team settings related? I have tried increasing team settings for more base stealing, but nada.
It is likely about several things at once.
Among them are the players ratings and how they affect their ability to get a good jump and make the attempt, the hold runners ratings of the pitchers you are facing, league strategy and statistical settings, etc. (So yes, basically all of the above you mentioned and more.)
It sounds like you are playing with current players (just based on the Tapia example) and so if you are also using current strategy and league stats settings then even if you push it a bit more there will be fewer stolen base attempts. That is the nature of today's game. If you take the same players and change league strategy settings to something more like the mid-70's to the mid-80's that likely changes and you see more attempts.

I will admit that I don't manage in-game other than to make substitutions. So I'm not sure if there are other factors about when you are calling for the steal, if you are playing pitch-by-pitch or in one-pitch mode, etc. Perhaps others with more experience with this will have a better answer.