Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:38 PM   #1
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Sometimes the AI just dumbfounds me

Game 7 of the WS, you're trailing 2-1 in the top of the 8th and you're going to let your SP bat while you entire bench & bullpen is available? (image 1) Not the AI, leave the SP in, let him bat. Of course he strikes out, and the next batter lines out. Inning over.

Surprisingly, the Twins manage to score 2 in the top of the 9th. So with a 3-2 lead going into the bottom of the 9th in the WS you're bringing in your closer, right? Nope, not the AI. Let's leave the 107 pitches thrown, tired starter in to finish it off. Amazingly, he gets 3 up, 3 down and a CG win. (image 2)

Despite the fact it worked out, have to question those decisions.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Bluenoser; 03-23-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #2
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Game 7 of the WS, you're trailing 2-1 in the top of the 8th and you're going to let your SP bat while you entire bench & bullpen is available? (image 1) Not the AI, leave the SP in, let him bat. Of course he strikes out, and the next batter lines out. Inning over.

Surprisingly, the Twins manage to score 2 in the top of the 9th. So with a 3-2 lead going into the bottom of the 9th in the WS you're bringing in your closer, right? Nope, not the AI. Let's leave the 107 pitches thrown, tired starter in to finish it off. Amazingly, he gets 3 up, 3 down and a CG win. (image 2)

Despite the fact it worked out, have to question those decisions.

There are times when playing OOTP you have to use your imagination to fill in the blanks. In this case I'd imagine the pitching coach and manager talking to the pitcher who tells them they'll have have to drag him off the mound, he's not coming out, it's his game. The manager and PC calm him down a bit so there's some sense of reason and all parties agree that if anyone gets on the Closer is coming in. The starter who is locked in and dealing retires the side in order, game over, the rejoicing begins. The scenario I just laid is out is well within reality, it can happen. I like that OOTP simulates all possibilities.

Last edited by Curve Ball Dave; 03-23-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Curve Ball Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:26 PM   #3
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave View Post
There are times when playing OOTP you have to use your imagination to fill in the blanks. In this case I'd imagine the pitching coach and manager talking to the pitcher who tells them they'll have have to drag him off the mound, he's not coming out, it's his game. The manager and PC calm him down a bit so there's some sense of reason and all parties agree that if anyone gets on the Closer is coming in. The starter who is locked in and dealing retires the side in order, game over, the rejoicing begins. The scenario I just laid is out is well within reality, it can happen. I like that OOTP simulates all possibilities.
I could see that scenario in the bottom of the 9th. I can't see it in the top of the 8th when you're trailing by 1 run in game 7 of the WS. I don't care what the SP tells me about dragging him out of the game while he's standing in the on deck circle, he's not hitting. There's no way you don't put a pinch hitter in there.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 03-23-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
I could see that scenario in the bottom of the 9th. I can't see it in the top of the 8th when you're trailing by 1 run in game 7 of the WS. I don't care what the SP tells me about dragging him out of the game while he's standing in the on deck circle, he's not hitting. There's no way you don't put a pinch hitter in there.

I'm feelin' ya on that. I agree, I'd have pinch hit for him too and deal with his feelings later in the clubhouse.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #5
panda234
Minors (Triple A)

I had an opposing team's AI leave a reliever in after he hit 4 of my batters in a row with the bases loaded and then gave up a hit. Didn't see that in OOTP 19.
panda234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:04 PM   #6
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Every now and then, a manager makes a really dumb decision that works. Perhaps OOTP tries to replicate that.

Or maybe the pitcher in this anecdote was Don Newcombe.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote