Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:58 PM   #1
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Development Ratings Dependent Upon Performance?

Just wondering if anyone knows how an individual player's performance reflects on his development.

For instance, here are three scenarios:

1. I bring a Single A prospect up far too quickly, exposing him to Major League talent too early and he gets crushed all year.

2. I bring him up at a casual pace, making sure he adjusts to each level

3. I rig the system such as if he were a pitcher, I control the other team and cause every player to get out or something like that and he has a perfect ERA and record at the end of the season.

Will this player develop in exactly the same way in each of the three scenarios or will one be a better player than another?
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
andyhdz
All Star Starter

Who knows Ive heard of positives, negatives, and neutrals in all three scenarios.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #3
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
Who knows...
Yes, that's what I'm trying to figure out, if someone knows.

I just don't know if that is factored into the game engine. It's not an opinion question. There should be a factual answer.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
andyhdz
All Star Starter

Who knows Ive heard of postives, negatives, and neutrals in all three scenarios. Scenario A) I brought him up too early now he's broken. I brought him up too early but he developed more quickly because he was exposed to major league talent. B) I brought him up at just the right pace but he was bored with competition and stagnated. I brought him up at just the right pace and he developed fine. c) His performance affected his development. His performance had no effect on his development. Heard them all.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #5
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

1) If you ran any of the three scenarios 1,000 times the players would develop differently. There is variance in identical environments.
It is my understanding that performance can, not will, have an effect on performance. If a players morale is low, or high?, enough it can affect development.
How much and for how long has not, AFAIK, been made clear by the developers.
I think the first scenario presents a potential detriment to the players development. I would not do it, unless he was still better than alternatives, just out of Role Playing adherence.
I have a hard time believing that the final scenario provides any bonus. I would think it just avoids any penalties.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

My understanding of how OOTP works is that in the minors a player will develop regardless of Playing time. but more PT could expedite the process. Theoretically a player could run out of time to develop and therefore not reach his potential.

Once a player reaches the ML Level and is not fully developed PT is a Major contributing factor in his development. And lack of it can stunt his growth.

I would never bring up my Future Star CF early to use him as a 5th OF or defensive replacement. Or my Future Star SP and use him as a Mop up guy or Loogy.

Basically the guy needs to play (or a better way to say it, Is it is better for his development if he does), especially if you bring him up to the ML roster.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino

Last edited by Painmantle; 06-01-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #7
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
Yes, that's what I'm trying to figure out, if someone knows.

I just don't know if that is factored into the game engine. It's not an opinion question. There should be a factual answer.
Why should there be a factual answer? Not sure what that means. If it means you want 1+2=3 every time then I'd be 100% against. Correct me if I missed the point.

The developers know. Probably others who are deeply knowledgeable of the programming involved. The rest of us well, I have ideas but I'm no genius.

I'm glad there is some mystery involved. Just like real life there are no sure things especially in Baseball talent evaluation. Co-incidentally I was looking at the 1991 MLB draft today where only 10 of 44 1st round picks had career WAR of 10 and above. Only 4 had career WAR over 20.

Edit

I think most would agree that scenario 1 is almost always bad. I don't do it so don't know of any prospects who were successful despite bad handling. Number 3 I'd never do. Number 2 gives mixed results.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 06-01-2017 at 05:01 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:11 PM   #8
chazzycat
All Star Starter

According to the manual, playing time only matters in the minors. Once a player is in the majors (actually before that - once they are added to the 40 man roster) they develop normally regardless of actual playing time.

BUT there is another component which is called the "challenge". Like if you promote a rookie too fast and they are overmatched then they won't develop properly.

IMO its fine to promote a rookie to a bench position. The playing time doesn't matter, and you can use your managerial discretion to give the player more favorable matchups, possibly avoiding the "overmatched" bit.

http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/...er_development

Last edited by chazzycat; 06-01-2017 at 05:13 PM.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:14 PM   #9
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Why should there be a factual answer? Not sure what that means.

I just reread my response and I realize it sounds like I'm a jerk. I apologize. I didn't mean for it to read like that.

I just meant that there are obviously some things that definitely contribute to development and there must be some things that obviously do not. Obviously there are plenty of reasons that randomness and percentages come into play. I'm not suggesting there are any things that guarantee that a player will develop in a certain way. One of the greatest parts of OOTP is the true randomness that it has.

I just figured that there are some things that must be known. I don't think anyone would suggest that something innocuous like changing the uniform color or changing someone's name would change development. So therefore, we can give a definitive "No, that does not affect a player's development".

I guess I was just wondering if someone, maybe a developer, knew if performance COULD affect development. If the answer was "no", as in "No matter what you do on the field, a player's development is decided by the 'percentages' and 'randomness' of the game's engine", then my question would be answered. Also, if a developer said, "Sometimes, performance on the field CAN affect it", then my question also would be answered.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #10
endgame
Hall Of Famer

RchW covered the basics, I think, of what would have been my response. As to the answers from developers, regardless if you ever acquire one- and I doubt in this case that'd happen -it'll roughly translate, "all things affect all things, but only marginally." I liken it to Poe's Fly Away lyric, "everything matters in such an invisible way."
Old 06-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #11
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just reread my response and I realize it sounds like I'm a jerk. I apologize. I didn't mean for it to read like that.

I just meant that there are obviously some things that definitely contribute to development and there must be some things that obviously do not. Obviously there are plenty of reasons that randomness and percentages come into play. I'm not suggesting there are any things that guarantee that a player will develop in a certain way. One of the greatest parts of OOTP is the true randomness that it has.

I just figured that there are some things that must be known. I don't think anyone would suggest that something innocuous like changing the uniform color or changing someone's name would change development. So therefore, we can give a definitive "No, that does not affect a player's development".

I guess I was just wondering if someone, maybe a developer, knew if performance COULD affect development. If the answer was "no", as in "No matter what you do on the field, a player's development is decided by the 'percentages' and 'randomness' of the game's engine", then my question would be answered. Also, if a developer said, "Sometimes, performance on the field CAN affect it", then my question also would be answered.
No you were fine. I hope my response didn't suggest any jerkiness (I'm BBQing jerk chicken right now).

My personal opinion is that sustained over-performance in the minor leagues will result in a ratings boost. I try to keep up with all my prospects but every so often somebody comes out of the woodwork and when I check it out the reason is big numbers.

I'll have more later but food and wine are calling.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 06-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #12
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
According to the manual, playing time only matters in the minors. Once a player is in the majors (actually before that - once they are added to the 40 man roster) they develop normally regardless of actual playing time.

BUT there is another component which is called the "challenge". Like if you promote a rookie too fast and they are overmatched then they won't develop properly.

IMO its fine to promote a rookie to a bench position. The playing time doesn't matter, and you can use your managerial discretion to give the player more favorable matchups, possibly avoiding the "overmatched" bit.

http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/...er_development

Thanks for posting, I have not read about development in the manual in years.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:46 PM   #13
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
(I'm BBQing jerk chicken right now).

....Jerk chicken is like my favorite thing ever... I'm so jealous right now...

Here in Boston, we're still waiting for the good weather to come. Today was the first halfway decent day in awhile and it still was overcast for part of the day
Old 06-01-2017, 09:16 PM   #14
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
....Jerk chicken is like my favorite thing ever... I'm so jealous right now...

Here in Boston, we're still waiting for the good weather to come. Today was the first halfway decent day in awhile and it still was overcast for part of the day
Here's to Jerk Chicken everywhere. It was awesome with rice and corn.

RichW

Old 06-01-2017, 09:16 PM   #15
msupoke
All Star Reserve

Quote:
My personal opinion is that sustained over-performance in the minor leagues will result in a ratings boost. I try to keep up with all my prospects but every so often somebody comes out of the woodwork and when I check it out the reason is big numbers.
:
Are you sure the big numbers are not the result of the ratings boost?
Old 06-01-2017, 09:22 PM   #16
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msupoke View Post
Are you sure the big numbers are not the result of the ratings boost?
Could be either way. I'm ok with that.

RichW

Old 06-01-2017, 11:46 PM   #17
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Barring random stuff, I think it's fair to say ratings create performance rather than the other way around.

But, then the right question may be "what are ratings?"
RonCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:58 PM   #18
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i make sure the high potential play in the minors. so no idea on comparing playing time... but,

i'm fairly certain performance has between little and nothing to do with development in the minors. I'll spare any anecdotal tales. ratio of succes/fail seems about the same regardless. i promote based on ratings... even if they didn't acheive good numbers at the previous level. this sort of thing is quite common for me to see.

if it does add a wrinkle, which is certainly possible, it's likely some small bit beyond the resolution of the eye

--

players don't get better due to performance... it's not logical. there nervous system doesn't improve, they don't magically gain muscles they didn't have from working out, they don't gain coordination or learn new mechanics through divine intervention after a good month. their work, preperation, and talent are what provide results when given enough opportunities to present itself.

that being said, a vidoe game is not real life. this would be a "gamey" aspect, if it were true that performance helps... and no big deal.

--

as far as mystery? this is competition...vs humans i'd rather beat you than sit in awe of mystique of a RNG if i were in an online league, i'd know the relative odds of everything possible to know from the feedback they give; limited only by my imagination/ability.

this isn't entirely unlike real life, either. statcast or w/e mlb's new data tracking system is called will provide some cool data once it accumulates. the curtain is about to be pulled back a bit. too much money in real life to worry about mystique, though... obviously a video game doesn't provide quite the same impetus.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #19
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

I can't remember the last time I read the OOTP Manual It seems the ML understanding I had has been corrected, It's true what they say, Never too old to learn something!
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote