Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:20 PM   #81
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmjager View Post
FM Live will suceed since FM has never had a strong online multiplayer portion of the game

OOTP has never had that problem which is why OOTP Online is so confusing to me. But who knows, mayne it will catch on and do well

What confuses you about trying to find another line of cash flow for OOTP?
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:05 PM   #82
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Do a little math and the numbers are nifty...

(pulls numbers out of thin air...)

15 leagues of 30 teams at $5 a month for 12 months is $27,000. 80 leagues of 30 teams at $3 a month for 12 months is $86,000.

Not a bad take for two full-time employees.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:11 PM   #83
Neags23
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo View Post

15 leagues of 30 teams at $5 a month for 12 months is $27,000. 80 leagues of 30 teams at $3 a month for 12 months is $86,000.

But who would pay $5/month for something you can either have for free (regular fantasy baseball), or can have for $34.99 (the whole OOTP game)?

Granted those are thin air numbers... but if it is something similar to that, I think people would see little incentive to choose an online 'lite' version over the real thing.

That being said, we will have to wait to see what this online lite version has in store.

Former GM Washburn Sea Wolves Dog Days Baseball - 1981 & 1986 Kennel Cup Champions
Neags23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #84
pseudofool
Minors (Triple A)

Re: Rosters

Will the planned rosters include minorleague players, or any international leagues? Or just MLB players? Just curious.
pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #85
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neags23 View Post
But who would pay $5/month for something you can either have for free (regular fantasy baseball), or can have for $34.99 (the whole OOTP game)?
Someone who does not play text sims but is a fan of fantasy baseball.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #86
Tony M
Global Moderator

Quote:
Fantasy baseball's results are based on actual plays in the real MLB, whereas OOTP Online would get there's from the game engine. It's Fantasy Baseball that you have a bit more control over.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #87
Neags23
All Star Starter

Quote:
Someone who does not play text sims but is a fan of fantasy baseball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxford View Post
Fantasy baseball's results are based on actual plays in the real MLB, whereas OOTP Online would get there's from the game engine. It's Fantasy Baseball that you have a bit more control over.
I understand that. That's why I put in the 2nd part. However, for the cost of 7 months of being in a league, you could have the entire game forever. If you want an online league, but don't want financials and the like, I'm sure there are online leagues that'll fit your style.

Former GM Washburn Sea Wolves Dog Days Baseball - 1981 & 1986 Kennel Cup Champions
Neags23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #88
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I understand that. That's why I put in the 2nd part. However, for the cost of 7 months of being in a league, you could have the entire game forever. If you want an online league, but don't want financials and the like, I'm sure there are online leagues that'll fit your style.
Of all the people I know who like sports and play fantasy sports, not one is remotely interested in OOTP "The Game". However I suspect that some percentage of them once exposed to the online version would transition over.

That's why I like the idea of OOTP online. This form of parallel marketing has the potential to attract a whole new customer base that can only enhance the franchise.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:06 PM   #89
spark240
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getch View Post
Think of the fantasy sports UI, where you log in via the web and set your rosters, make trades, do waivers, etc., but as the UI for an OOTP online league. So instead of having to export/import the league files, you can just go onto the web and do it. For instance, call up your players, set the batting order, etc. The commish would sim (but the simming OOTP would be on the server, not the commish's PC), and the web server would instantly be updated with the results and people can then go in and make their changes for the next sim.
Seems to me you wouldn't even need a person to serve as commish. Just set an automatic sim to occur at fixed intervals and let it go.
spark240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:49 AM   #90
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudofool View Post
Will the planned rosters include minorleague players, or any international leagues? Or just MLB players? Just curious.
Your question got bypassed, so I will just give my uninformed opinion. Considering the amount of research and work that must be required to produce current rosters in time for baseball season, I would venture to guess that MLB will be the limit. The players from those other leagues would be too numerous, variable, obscure.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:47 AM   #91
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

Where does Steve Kuffrey fit into all of this?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #92
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:

I would like to be in your fantasy world where there are no such things as development costs or overhead
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #93
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmjager View Post
I would like to be in your fantasy world where there are no such things as development costs or overhead
There's net profits and gross profits. None of the fictional speculated on that. Clearly they think that they can turn OOTP 09 into a server product, sell the output to fantasy players, and net a profit, else why spend dev time and outlay capital trying?

Hopefully, their business plan is more developed than 50 words of back of the envelope guess work and uninformed speculation.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #94
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Frankly, I don't see what merit there is in the discussion, let alone the merit in having one at all. The online investment is their plan. So be it. Time spent on the adventure isn't necessarily time taken away from anything. The guts of the engine is already in place, sounding like the only remaining issue is the server interface and the reporting of resulting numbers to the participants. I think if they can generate a supplemental income that surpasses the expense of the investment (which of course it would or they wouldn't be doing it), the balance is a dividend, in turn, re-invested in our mainstay: OOTP proper.

On our part, the rest is a combination of speculation and, honestly, nothing to do with our day to day involvement unless some of you expect to become participants in the extension, but I doubt it. While I appreciate the update in regard to the expansion efforts, in my mind it was needlessly included in the newsletter to regular users- aside from keeping us in the loop I suppose- just because of this kind of fallout and these kinds of responses. It's historically a knee-jerk forum and I tire of the footfalls.

More power to them. As developers, that's what they do: develop. They can do so in any direction they see fit, including expanding in new directions that do not include an existing target audience. I probably hold a minority opinion in this, but the reality is it's not my business and none of my business, and in addition, too far away to judge implications even if I perceived any as it lacks real form at this point.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #95
DavidM
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I think some of you are missing what is going on in the on-line baseball gaming world. Strat-o-matic has already done this. Diamond Mind has already done this. Dynasty League from what I here is going to do this. And there are other companies doing this.

From what I have seen most of them charge a per team basis. you buy a team for $20.00. It takes 6-8 weeks to complete a season, you draft your team set lineups etc. They give you discounts for multiple team purchases. If you win your league you get another team free. Otherwise you start over , though some leagues seem on-going.

The bottom line, its a growing cash cow, targeting a different customer than OOTP (in other words, they are simple to play and get into) and OOTP's competitors are already there.

I see it as nothing but an excellent idea.
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:57 PM   #96
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The CD version is great, but it is a lot of fun competing head to head online. Sure there are online CD leagues, but they are not the same. I had CD versions for years, but once I was introduced to BBMO, the CD versions just weren't cutting it.

On a side note, the overhead costs were too much for BBMO and eventually the online version of baseball mogul shutdown. But with the increasing activity of online information, I hope OOTP online will be a success!

daves is offline   Reply With Quote