Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 01-18-2016, 07:32 AM   #1
CM13492
Bat Boy

2-Seam Fastball/Sinker?

Well as this is my first post I would just like to say this is easily the best sports simulation game I have played so congratulations to all the ootp developments team!

My first question is a general baseball question, as a new baseball fan I am still attempting to get my head around the jargon particularly the many different pitch names (as a cricket fan I thought I would be better equipped to handle this than most but it still throws me sometimes!). In the reading I have done online I have seen the Sinker given as simply another name for a 2-seam fastball, is that correct? (I have just seen that fangraphs splits these up so I am doubtful Wikipedia has this right).

My second question relates to the Fastballs and Sinkers within OOTP 16, is the Fastball a combination of 4-seam and 2-seam or is it just the 4-seam variety with the Sinker as the 2-seam? In game I have seen players who seem to suggest both possibilities. Dallas Keuchel who pitched a 2 seamer 41% of the time in 2014 has no Sinker in game yet on the other side of the coin Rick Porcello pitched a 2 seamer 30% of the time in 2014 and according to fangraphs has never pitched a 'sinker' yet in-game has a sinker as his top offering along with his fastball and the same is true for David Price.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can clear this up for me
CM13492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #2
GoPedro99
All Star Reserve

No. A sinker and 2-seam are very different. A sinker, as the name implies, "sinks". The ball drops as it gets close to the batter. A 2-seamer fades toward the dominant arm of the pither. Say a righty is pitching. A two seamer would fade off to the right as they throw it.
GoPedro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:45 PM   #3
John Smith
Bat Boy

Bear in mind that many of these pitches are a matter of putting a look on the ball that confuses the hitter. So each pitch is better described by the position of the seams in relation to the pitcher's fingers. Every combination can create a different illusion, which, in combination with the slight changes in aerodynamics creates the challenge that we call "hitting in the majors."

I doubt this answered your question, but maybe it helped somehow.
John Smith is offline   Reply With Quote