Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 04-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
aceyprime
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Team-building advice

When building a team from scratch, which fielding positions do you feel are most important? Given somewhat equal ratings, should a first-baseman be taken before a shortstop, etc?
aceyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyprime View Post
When building a team from scratch, which fielding positions do you feel are most important? Given somewhat equal ratings, should a first-baseman be taken before a shortstop, etc?
Well given equal ratings, always take players in this order:

Catcher, Shortstop, 2nd, Center, 3rd, Right, Left and First Base

That is based on the defensive spectrum theory by Bill james.
Defensive spectrum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope that helps.

Last edited by cody8200; 04-11-2012 at 02:55 PM.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
McGuiser
Major Leagues

When comparing ratings, keep in mind that ratings for one position are not the same as ratings for another positions (i.e., the ratings compare the player to others at his position, not to all players).

With that caveat, I like to build up the middle: catcher, shortstop, and CF first. First base last.

I try to have as much versatility as possible on the bench. A bench player who can only play one position (unless it is catcher) has considerably less value than a versatile player.

True, a player with no rating at a position can still play that position, and will perform in some circumstances according to his general ratings (e.g. outfielder's arm, an infielder's range) -- but defense matters.

Last edited by McGuiser; 04-11-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: typo
McGuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
aceyprime
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thank you both for the insight. I'd never heard of the defensive spectrum before - very interesting!
aceyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200 View Post
Well given equal ratings, always take players in this order:

Catcher, Shortstop, 2nd, Center, 3rd, Right, Left and First Base

That is based on the defensive spectrum theory by Bill james.
Defensive spectrum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope that helps.

I'm no scholar, but I tend to have success building in this order:

C, CF, SS, 2B, 3B, LF/RF (which ever you find first), 1B

That is if your SP are all ground ball pitchers & your the CF is a lead off hitter. If you have a crappy rotation, then you need to build your rotation first (obviously). But with a crappy rotation and no SP prospects in sight, I go with this:

C, SS, 2B, CF/LF/RF (which ever is available first), 3B, 1B

Surely the defensive spectrum theory will work though. Really, it doesn't matter what order you fill the positions, just as long as you get 9 quality guys in there eventually.
magicspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
PApulverizers
Minors (Single A)

I do not use the defensive spectrum. When selecting positional players I try and project a lineup.

Leadoff Man
High OBP, Good Contact, Great Baserunning, Speed, SB, I want some defensive skills preferrably high if he plays 2B, SS, CF

Number 2 Hitter
good BA, High OBP, good bunting abilities, not a whole lot of power but ability to hit 8-15 HR a year

Number 3 Hitter
Best All Around Hitter

Clean Up Hitter
Most Powerful Hitter, respectable batting average

Fifth Hitter
"Back Up" Clean Up Hitter, same qualities as my cleanup guy but slightly lower power and/or BA

6th/7th Hitters
"Specialty Players"...Usually my 6th hole has more power than my seventh spot...but i have had teams which may have had .300 hitters at both spots but really lower power numbers...

I use my 8th Spot as a second leadoff man.....a lot of speed, but probably lower OBP than the leadoff guy ...i love using the 9th spot in AL leagues as another leadoff man. Make it fun.

Defensively, the middle of the field is definitely most important. That is how I try and fill my lineup though
PApulverizers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

Oh yeah, now that we can prove that late round draft picks develop can into super stars with the draft history, it's best to look at a players defensive stats rather than his hitting. I've noticed that hitting potential tends to change more often base running and defensive abilities. So, if a guy is a bad hitter, but an extremely good fielder/base runner, he has a higher chance of developing into a super star than a guy who is a decent hitter and sucks at fielding/base running. Of course, this is when the only options available in the draft are 1-2 star potential guys & MRs.

Also, I would take a 1 star SP over a 5 star MR any day, as long as his movement is at least 15/20. I've had those 1 star SPs develop into 20 win all stars more often than a 5 star MR develop into a 40 save closer.

Honestly, my bullpen is full of all SPs and 2 or 3 MRs. The cool thing is if you build your bullpen this way, you have a butt ton of SP who you can trade for fielder prospects.

When rebuilding a franchise, it's better to let the hitting take care of itself and just worry about your rotation and defense. With a rock solid D and a bunch of ground ball pitchers, you can keep the score low so that your SPs will develop regardless of how your teams record looks. Eventually, the hitters will develop. Although I have yet to win 6 world series in a row, but thats mostly due to the fact I like to use small market teams for extra challenge so I have to trade my position players when they have one year of arbitration left, which sometimes can leave your team lacking the talent it needs to win it all. But using this method I can at least make the playoffs for 30 straight years...and no one is going to be pissed about that
magicspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote