Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:33 PM   #61
Doc32
Minors (Rookie Ball)

The trade AI needs some SERIOUS work. I just simmed through a year with the Blue Jays and here are a couple of the offers I received.

Dodgers offered David Freese for Ryan Tepera and Vladimir Guerrero Jr.

Giants offered Jeff Samardzija for Danny Jansen and Bo Bichette.

Is that a joke? Where is the AI improvement in that? If I made an offer like that to the AI, they would reject it before I clicked submit.
Doc32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:09 AM   #62
ink625
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc32 View Post
The trade AI needs some SERIOUS work. I just simmed through a year with the Blue Jays and here are a couple of the offers I received.

Is that a joke? Where is the AI improvement in that? If I made an offer like that to the AI, they would reject it before I clicked submit.
The game doesn't know who David Freese, Ryan Tepera, Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Jeff Samardzija, Danny Jansen and Bo Bichette are. All the AI sees is numbers. These are the exact kinds of things that lead me to playing fictional over current/historical. In fictional you never have to say, "well that wouldn't really happen", or anything similar.
If you will confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and will believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart man believes unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
-Romans 10:9,10

Last edited by ink625; 03-25-2019 at 12:10 AM.
ink625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:41 AM   #63
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink625 View Post
in fictional you never have to say, "well that wouldn't really happen", or anything similar.
exactly! I love fictional games. No preconceived notions!

Last edited by Mr. Marlin; 03-25-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:12 AM   #64
Gerry58
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink625 View Post
The game doesn't know who David Freese, Ryan Tepera, Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Jeff Samardzija, Danny Jansen and Bo Bichette are. All the AI sees is numbers. These are the exact kinds of things that lead me to playing fictional over current/historical. In fictional you never have to say, "well that wouldn't really happen", or anything similar.

Well even in a fantasy world that kind of trades would be wrong, no?
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:22 AM   #65
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry58 View Post
Well even in a fantasy world that kind of trades would be wrong, no?
Would Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano have been wrong? It happened in real life though.

And these aren't even trades, they're just offers. What kind of incredibly fair and generous initial offers do you think real GM's have to sort through? If you've ever been in a fantasy league for any sport, you probably have a pretty good idea.

There was an article a couple years ago about how Luhnow kept fielding inquiries for someone who was basically waiver wire fodder, think it was Lucas Harrell, who was having a career year and demanding the other team's best player for him. Gerrit Cole from Pittsburgh etc. etc.

Of course the ai is going to offer bad trades as initial starting points. People would be even more worked up if it was freely offering trades that made the human player better, with you not having to do anything more than just touch the button to accept.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 03-25-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:45 AM   #66
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

And how many times have you offered a crappy player to the AI for Mike Trout to see if they'd take it.

SILLY HUMAN. WHY DO THEY KEEP SENDING US THESE HORRIBLE OFFERS? DO THEY THINK WE HAVE MISSING CIRCUITS?
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:16 AM   #67
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

LOL Matt! More than once!

You know you guys actually raise a pretty good point.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #68
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You do know you can adjust the trade settings right?
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #69
low
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
And how many times have you offered a crappy player to the AI for Mike Trout to see if they'd take it.

SILLY HUMAN. WHY DO THEY KEEP SENDING US THESE HORRIBLE OFFERS? DO THEY THINK WE HAVE MISSING CIRCUITS?

That's actually a good point. We've all tried to fleece the AI, surely. Yet we complain to no end when the AI offers us ridiculous trades.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #70
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Quote:

*Me everytime at the trade screen: "I can send these two scrubs for this player...but can i send them for their best pitcher instead?" AI GM: "This is the worst offer I've ever seen in my career"

Seriously, people who complain about those initial joke offers...that's not trade AI! Those are just starting points for negotiation. Brian Cashman asked for several of the Reds top prospects in Sonny Gray talks. It never hurts to ask, but those negotiations led to them getting a pretty solid prospect (who they then immediately flipped, but you get the point)
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:00 PM   #71
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Downloaded and installed the Skin files from Add-ons central today.

For the Classic Skin, the back ground for all the reports pages are white, in previous versions they matched the classic tone throughout. Was this changed for a reason?

It's my favourite skin, having the reports all like the OOTP20 regular takes a lot away from it.

Tks
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:51 PM   #72
Warhawk
Major Leagues

Quote:

All I want for Christmas is a button to auto-reject any incoming trade offers where all I'd be getting is 35 year old relievers.
Warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:27 PM   #73
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
If you don't want bogus trade offers put them on your do not touch list or whatever its called.

I have at least 50 players on there pretty much all time or the amount of offers would be overwhelming
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #74
panda234
Minors (Triple A)

Loving the graphics. It can be totally addictive.

Last edited by panda234; 03-25-2019 at 09:46 PM.
panda234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:38 AM   #75
martinjm70
Bat Boy

Clearing rosters?

Has anyone figured out how to access the clear rosters function in fictional leagues? I don't see the option on the Functions page.

***Never mind. I wasn't in Commissioner mode.

Last edited by martinjm70; 03-26-2019 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Correcting my error
martinjm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:52 AM   #76
CarolinaSoxfan
Minors (Triple A)

Gameplay Video

For any of you still not sure about buying this version, check out the video I made of the Braves vs the Phillies. It is impressive how much OOTP 20 has improved from OOTP 19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fv3...ature=youtu.be
CarolinaSoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:24 AM   #77
Smetana
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonusWagner View Post
I appreciate the opinions of the not-fan-bots that have posted here.

OOTP: you want to play in the bigs? Take the hits. That's my advice. Fan-bots will spoil ya, the John Henry's notwithstanding....

Look- I know a few thing about software. So, this is a very marginal, extremely marginal field - text-driven baseball sims. I get it. And you really utilize the freeware available (hence the decision to pursue, of all things, 3D graphics for a text-based sim.... *smh* :-) ).

Whokay. Were this the late 80s then adding a 3D engine to a text-driven sim might seem cool. It isnt though. So now if feels like silly. Have you seen your competitors in graphics?

Look, from a gamer's experience in an extremely niche field, you may feel like superheros. I understand that. But look at it from a simple software perspective. And by the way: if John Henry's financial software or online racing sim software ran like this you'd never hear of him.

And that is my point. There are things here that are fundamentally busted. And I feel like I am talking about a friends "special needs" brother who seems to put out the effort on the job site but... just isn't getting it.

In short, I agree with a post above: I think you've taken this series as far as you can. I'll add to that and suggest you aren't actually programmers. Maybe that's what Henry was alluding to. That you were able to make this without programming backgrounds. You are pouring more time into configuring freeware software than doing something about the game basics. To me, that is a major clue. 3D graphics is freeware. Fixing how stats windows are sorted and those types of bugs and issues is 101 programming.

Re "special needs" comment - take it for what it's worth. Were I to load this sw up for spreadsheets or db etc I would howl fraud. Not trying to be mean. But there are so many things busted and bent.

And I say this without having purchased 20. I did buy 19 though. And after a few weeks or so I gave it up.

No doubt though, you are the best of class. I don't doubt that. I only write this due to the money spent so far. But more than that, the many hours spent, trying to get something to work that was, and remains (I'll bet) broken out of the box.

Best of luck.
I won't even address the majority of your ridiculous post, it is what it is.

As the parent of a "Special Needs" child, however, you've put me in the frame of mind that you should be genuinely thankful you've made the comment from behind your safe keyboard space, and not in my physical presence.

You should be ashamed.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:19 PM   #78
HonusWagner
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
deleted

Last edited by CONN CHRIS; 03-27-2019 at 09:39 PM.
HonusWagner is offline   Reply With Quote Received Warning
Old 03-27-2019, 07:29 PM   #79
Andy
Hall Of Famer

deleted

Last edited by CONN CHRIS; 03-27-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:55 PM   #80
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I dont know if this is new or not but i noticed that players from folding teams
go to free agency. In previous versions i would have to go to league history sometimes in order to find the player to release him.
When you have to do transactions manually till 1901, every little bit helps.
Dont know when this was put in the game but i like that its there.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote