Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2003, 11:50 PM   #1
messenjah
All Star Reserve

An idea about file sharing

We've all been talking about getting a website for all the different files we need. What if we have the files on Kazaa. We can post the zip files up in Kazaa and all we have to look for is OOTP5 in the search. Is this even possible.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:54 PM   #2
Aussie Mark
Major Leagues

Sure it is. I don't use Kazaa, but I know that WinMx can share files of any type, so I assume the same sort of thing is possible with Kazaa.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:44 AM   #3
OCBLcommish
Minors (Double A)

I assume it'd be possible, but someone would have to keep the file in their shared file folder on Kazaa for it to show up on Kazaa
Old 03-09-2003, 03:34 AM   #4
DHS23
All Star Reserve

Add in the fact that somebody would have to always be signed on to Kazaa for the files able to be shared.
Old 03-09-2003, 03:55 AM   #5
Aussie Mark
Major Leagues

Initially, yes, but after awhile there would be many (hundreds?) of OOTP users who would have shared the files, and hopefully they would also share the files when they are online. Given that scenario, there would have to be at least one copy of the file being shared online at any time of day.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:44 AM   #6
Cuss16
Hall Of Famer

good idea!
Old 03-09-2003, 09:52 AM   #7
PCline26
All Star Reserve

My problem with KaZaA is the viruses that could infect the files.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:14 AM   #8
Go Tribe
All Star Starter

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
what you ought to do is download 'free agent' - it's a free newsreader - and start a binary newsgroup for ootp

OR

anyone know if www.xdrive.com still works? used to give 75 mb of free download space with unlimited downloading. well seems that it's now $5/month for $75 mb

OR

doesn't baseballsimcentral still allow uploads?
Old 03-09-2003, 10:34 AM   #9
A.J. Holz
All Star Reserve

alt.binaries.ootp would be a good idea.

The only problem with that is that files posted to a USENET binary newsgroup would eventually be cycled off of the group; they would only remain posted for a few days (depends on the news provider) and therefore would need to be re-posted on a regular basis in order to remain persistent.

Also, a lot of news providers do NOT maintain a good NNTP server. Many ISPs have problems with keeping complete multipart binaries on their servers, so in that case the person wanting to download the file(s) would be at the mercy of their ISP's newsserver.

With Kazaa, if your connection to one person's share is dodgy, you could get the file from another host. With newsgroups, if you're having problems with the newsserver, you're outta luck.
JOBL - Grand Forks Varmints (former owner)
FIBB - Chicago Fire
TMBU - Tulsa Tomcats (former owner)
ACL - Oakland A's (former owner)
ACB - Rockville Superbas
Old 03-09-2003, 11:10 AM   #10
Henry
Hall of Fame

Problem with Kazaa is that the "shared directory" leaves open numerous methods to hack you machine. Unless you have a firewall in place and configured properly, you could find yourself in a bit of a mess.

Henry
Old 03-09-2003, 04:34 PM   #11
A.J. Holz
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally posted by Henry
Unless you have a firewall in place and configured properly, you could find yourself in a bit of a mess.

Henry
Ya, and you don't want to restrict OOTP users to *having* to install Kazaa in order to get the add-ons and mods they want. Unless you use the hacked "Kazaa Lite," installing Kazaa also installs spyware on your PC, CyDoor if I remember correctly.
JOBL - Grand Forks Varmints (former owner)
FIBB - Chicago Fire
TMBU - Tulsa Tomcats (former owner)
ACL - Oakland A's (former owner)
ACB - Rockville Superbas
Old 03-09-2003, 08:37 PM   #12
theoldman47
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Well, first of all, anyone not using a firewall today is asking for trouble, and that goes for a good virus program. I have been using Kazaa lite for quite some time and have yet to have a problem with a virus. And with lite there are no ads or cydoors....I use adaware to make sure of this.
The idea is ok, but I think a regular site to hold these files would be much better.......although using Kazaa in the interim would be fine with me.
I like kazaa lite better than any other file sharing program out there...and I have tried just about all of them.
And as an aside. If you go looking for a good firewall and virus program, I recommend staying away from Norton. Norton has never worked right on this XP machine. I recommend Sygate personal firewall which is free and works great. And for a firewall I recommend PCCillin which updates daily and when there is something new out it has updated as often as five times in one day and it has stopped at least 10 attempts to put trojans and viruses on my machine. And none have succeeded to date.

Just my own opinion.

Tim