Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:05 PM   #1
Don't Dought Drew
Bat Boy

Player Creation Modifiers for New Fictional League

So I'm creating a fictional major league for a new game, and I want some spontaneous changes to occur in the league as time goes on. I'm just trying to figure out which settings I want to enable and which to turn off, and also if anyone with any experience creating a fictional league has any advice for me!

My starting year is 1950, and I like the idea of having starting pitchers pitch complete games often, with not much bullpen usage. At the same time, I want hitter and pitcher player creation modifiers to vary from the historical norms as time progresses. I have both the "more/less offence" and "more/less pitching" options selected in the "Dynamically Evolving League" category under the options tab, but I don't really know what that affects.

Another thing I'm not certain about is the financial modifiers. I'm considering importing the game's financial settings each year or maybe every five or so. Open to hearing any advice on that.
Don't Dought Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:43 AM   #2
battists
Hall Of Famer

I don't do the sort of stuff you're talking about, but just for the record "player creation modifiers" refer to a specific thing in OOTP, and they appear to be unrelated to what you want to do...

Just to clarify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2016, 04:35 AM   #3
Lafayette53
Major Leagues

I play like this most of the time, but without the sort of customization you want. Here is my take:

Quote:
At the same time, I want hitter and pitcher player creation modifiers to vary from the historical norms as time progresses.
AFAIK you'll have to do this manually. I don't think your at too much risk here, but remain wary when messing with these settings. I can't count the number of leagues I've ruined by getting a bit too adventurous, though its a lot harder to do it in the last couple of versions.

Quote:
I have both the "more/less offence" and "more/less pitching" options selected in the "Dynamically Evolving League" category under the options tab, but I don't really know what that affects.
As far as I know this purely effects the league totals and modifiers. This will give you different results, but the players will still be about what might be said to be era-appropriate.

Quote:
Another thing I'm not certain about is the financial modifiers. I'm considering importing the game's financial settings each year or maybe every five or so. Open to hearing any advice on that.
Be mindful that the earlier OOTP financials are designed to work with the reserve clause. Many teams, particularly before the 1960's, end up with huge gluts of cash to throw at players in a free agency environment.
Lafayette53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

as long as you know when OotP 'changes eras' you will be able to do it. you simply import league totals from a specific year and click auto-calculate for the modifiers.

i think historical league settings can automate this? you may want to start a historical sim and replace with fictional players. you'll have to talk more with people that run historical leagues.. i have no experience.

most of what you want i believe is related to the stats & AI settings on the left pane of the screen. e.g. you can adjust starting pitchers stamina. this will allow them to pitch more and recover sooner for a shorter rotation.

PCMs can also do this, just in a different and more random way. it won't allow them to recover in 3 days instead of 4 days, though.

about evolution: i'm not sure how it implements its effects. does it change LTM or does it meddle with PCMs? maybe it's under the hood, too. lack of experience, again. i don't use evolution.

again, importing the financials or league totals stuff will mostly depend on the era the game places the imported year into. when equipment got better, errors went down in the leauge.. i just don't know offhand when that occurred or how ootp handles what is most likely a few transition years etc. as the totals repopulate, you will easily see what changes are occuring in that imported year.

the financial stuff just depends on you. is it following reserve clause and historical debut of free agency? if so, i'd import year-for-year. otherise, import the financial year that best fits how you want the league to run at that moment.

you definitely do not want teams with billions of cash on hand. it will ruin how free agency works.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
dcd111
Minors (Double A)

I haven't played around with these types of details for awhile, these days I just set the strategies, creation modifiers, and financials to 1987 or 1988 and "rip the knob off", running the league forever on those settings. But at one time several versions ago I dabbled with some league evolution stuff.

There used to be comma-delimited files the game used to set the settings for each year, one for creation modifiers, one for financials, one for strategy choices like rotation size, etc. I don't know if that is still the case, but if it is, you could manually change the values or use Excel to change them using formulas, export to the right format, and then replace the default.

Back then, maybe version 11, it didn't do what I wanted it to do; it wouldn't check the file for seasons after the year the game came out, even if you added years to the file (I always thought it would be a great way to extrapolate the future rather than being stuck unrealistically on the last real year forever). But if you are starting in 1950 that probably isn't an issue for you.

Last edited by dcd111; 05-10-2016 at 10:30 AM.
dcd111 is offline   Reply With Quote