Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #81
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Columbus 3 - Detroit 5
Columbus 1 - Detroit 6
Columbus 7 - Detroit 11
Columbus 2 - Detroit 3

Brutal four game sweep. It's one step forward, two steps back with this team. In three of the four games, the bullpen was handed a lead and pretty much immediately surrendered it. What was once the strength of the pitching staff has been a complete liability. Especially brutal were the two tight games, ahead 3-1 and 2-0 after great performances from the starters.

Even when we were winning games earlier in the month, the bullpen wasn't sharp... Now it's just cover your eyes awful. Closer Eric Braun has blown four saves already... and he's only had 11 opportunities. Our bullpen ERA was once 6th out of 18 teams... we've dropped to 13th. After starting out the month so strong, we finish losing five of our last seven. Only two games before the half way point... 35-44, 12 games back.

No rest for the weary... as we come back home to start a four game set against Pittsburgh, currently trailing Detroit by only three games for the division lead.
Nunyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #82
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyer View Post
Of course, since that update I have played through the next series and Hendricks had two more subpar outings.
Maybe the AI knows something we don't... OR maybe every AI team just has really stupid scouts.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #83
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Yea... it's a bit baffling. In the Detroit series, he pitched a perfect 1.1 innings ... ironically the only bullpen guy the entire four game set who didn't get lit up. He still has the little snowflake next to his name... hanging over him like an albatross the last six weeks or so.

Forgot to mention on the last update, not that it's a big deal, but I sent utility IF Ken Phillips down and brought up utility IF Armando Castilho. The guy that has been my everyday 2B so far this year, Bill Norie, has played well... but he's 31 years old and a pending free agent. I have three solid, young middle IF prospects that should be on my roster for opening day next year: Castilho, Philips and Garcia. I think Norie will be the odd man out, but he's hit pretty well for me this year. I want to give both of his potential replacements a good, long look before I completely dismiss the notion of extending his contract.

Also my Single A team, the Charleston Lawmen, have started out the season with a record of 5-1. I know it's way early, but three of my positional player draft picks appear to be well above the competition. I'll give them two more weeks, but if they clearly don't appear to be getting a challenge in SA, they will move up to AA to close out this season.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #84
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Results

Riding this trainwreck up to the All-Star Break... we split 2-2 with Pittsburgh and then dropped 2 out of 3 to the god awful Buffalo Soldiers. 38-48 at the break, 14.5 games out of the division.

It's been a tough week. I'll be meeting with Mothballs and Lerma tomorrow to discuss the situation. It's not going to be pretty...
Old 03-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #85
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

MID SEASON REPORT

@#*%ing Lerma and his "alternate revenue streams". Contractors have been on the premises the entire All-Star break plastering up "Summer's Eve" logos everywhere. Condor is not happy at all... his teammates have already changed his nickname to Barry "The Douche" Summers "Eve". Sports radio hosts are already referring to the stadium as "That Not So Fresh Feeling Field". Wonderful... Speaking of our illustrious owner, he's running late for our meeting... But I guess I'll do a dry run of the presentation with Mothballs...

Since our slow start in April, followed by a disastrous May... We've started to round into form somewhat. We're now middle of the pack or higher in most batting categories. The pitching is still pretty bad, but at least it's bad with mostly young up-and-comers who should improve. instead of bad with old farts. Speaking of pitching...

Starters: Vega and Childs have performed about as we expected them to perform. We thought Big Stud would win about 2/3rd's of his decisions. His ERA has been slightly inflated by a couple of godawful starts. Childs is an innings eater and not much else. When he can locate his pitches, he gets guys to swing at bad stuff... when he can't locate, he gets shelled. He is the pending free agent, doubtful that he's back next year unless it's a cheap one year extension. I have not begun talks yet. The other three guys are all trade acquisitions from this year. All range between 22-24 years old. Mendez and Davis have the larger upside and both should be in the rotation next year, hopefully we can break Davis' odd fascination with becoming the closer.

Bullpen: I just extended Aurillo for three more seasons at roughly $700k per year. While I have Hayden and Wright under control and providing good LHP out of the pen... you can never have too many lefty relievers. Hendricks has been an absolute train wreck, but we've decided to ride it out and wait for him to turn it around. Braun has underachieved based on his pedigree, but hopefully will improve the 2nd half. Campos, Barnes and Pierce are all young RHP with decent upside. We hope two of them can stick with us going into next season.

Summers and Young have met expectations. Young being one of only two Hot Dogs to make the All-Star team. Moreno and Gonzalez have underperformed. Gonzalez has been warming up over the last six weeks or so. He is in a contract year and could be good for a supplemental pick on the open market. Doubtful we resign him considering we have 2-3 OF prospects that can battle for his roster spot next spring training. We will live with Moreno for now and hope for a turnaround the second half. His potential future replacement is currently playing well down at Double A Nashville. Thomas has not stepped up and shown he can be an everyday player, although he is a great defender and base thief.

Webb has largely met expectations. He goes hot for two weeks and looks like a world beater, then he goes cold for two weeks and grounds out to SS for about 65 consecutive at-bats. Garcia is arbitration eligible. We will likely tender him an offer, unless the FA market at the position is stronger than expected. No catchers in the minor leagues are ready to step up.

Nixon is our other All-Star this season, the first selection of his career, and has been a pleasant surprise. He's looking to have a career year offensively and has been above average defensively. He is a potential free agent, we will most likely extend his contract. Jackson had an atrocious first half, but has slowly started to look better at the plate. I doubt he'll reach his .300/30HR standard from the last 3-4 seasons, but I expect a big production increase down the stretch. Garcia, Castilho and Phillips (current at AAA) are the three IF prospects. All of them can play 2-4 positions, are young and have decent potential. Two of them should be everyday players next year, as Bill Norie is 31 years old and will likely be allowed to walk to free agency.

My assistant just walked in and handed me a note... Apparently Lerma won't be attending the meeting... I guess he's currently in Vegas... was nominated for "Sugar Daddy of the Year" by the National Federation of Exotic Dancers.

Great, now my cell is buzzing... oh.. look what it is ... a text from Lerma:

SRY BOUT MTG. NFED AWARDS ARE DA BOMB. GRLZ WTH DADDY ISSUES ARE DA BEST. TTYL GO HOTDOGS!

Ya know how you have those days where you knew that staying in bed was the best possible option? Yea, that's been the last three months of my life....
Old 03-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #86
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

GM Journal

The All-Star break seems to be a great time to get some roster moves done. Every other GM I called seemed bored... with nothing to do for three days except watch an exhibition game... So did some housekeeping and made a few minor moves.

Columbus sends:
1B Iulian Marin (AAA)
LF Michael Moore (AAA)

Brooklyn sends:
MR Dave "The Admiral" Robinson (AAA)

Marin has a legit NLB bat and has hit over .300 the last two seasons at Triple A. He is going to be a minor league free agent, and is not very good defensively, but he can be a solid three-star batter at the NLB level.. He just had little shot of ever making our big club. Moore is a three-star corner OF who we didn't want to part with, but more promising prospects are in the wings and Moore was going to require a spot on the 40-man roster next year. He was batting .315 at Springfield and will immediately enter into a LF platoon for the Biohazard. The move also allows us to bring our top OF prospect, Paul Cowart, up to triple A. Cowart had batted .287 with 12 HRs for Double A Nashville.

Robinson was blocked in Brooklyn by one of the best bullpens in the league and was desperate to get out. He enters middle relieve work in Columbus, with MR Kevin Pierce sent back down to Springfield to work on his command. Pierce had walked six batters in five innings of work.

I also promoted recent draft pick 2B Kane Green to Double A Nashville. At 23 years old, he is going to get the fast track treatment. Green had hit .341 in 11 games at Single A Charleston. He will likely spend the rest of July in Nashville and then move along to Springfield if he continues to perform well.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #87
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

All-Star Break Transaction Potpourri

Shortly after acquiring Robinson, Mothballs brought me a list of upcoming minor league free agents... Damn, is our Springfield team old! We have seven guys that are over 30! Some of these guys might have marginal NLB value to somebody... so we hit the phones to see if we could roll any of these guys into younger players.

Columbus sends:
IF Manuel Cardenas (AAA)
Chicago sends:
SP Bill Clark (AAA)

Clark is looking awful at AAA, with a 1-9 record. He is 22 years old but has almost no shot at earning a living in the NLB. Still, he's young and could maybe one day get some starts as an injury replacement. Cardenas hasn't seen the NLB in seven years and is now 32 years old. That said, he can play five positions well, steal bases, bunt. He does the little things... and I guess that is worth a SP prospect with little to no upside beyond his young age.

Columbus sends:
SP Roy De La Garza (AAA)
Boston sends:
SP Joaquin Perales (AA)

De La Garza is also 32 years old. His last NLB stint was with Columbus in 2050, he went 5-5 in 11 starts with an ERA of 4.63. He is a soft tossing lefty who can eat large amounts of innings. Suppose he could still have value in long relief. Perales is another prospect that will likely never make it to the NLB. He's 20 years and is currently 5-8 with a 6.42 ERA for Boston's Double A team. The sad part is that he is probably better than most of our current Double A starters. Perales is on his way to Nashville to join the starting rotation of the Moonshiners.

Editor's note: Just in case anybody thinks I'm "gaming the AI" by unloading 30+ year old minor league scrubs, you are absolutely correct. Well, maybe not. The guys I shipped out are both two-star NLB rated. The guys I got in return are 0.5 or 1 star NLB rated with potentials of 1.5 or 2 stars. I guess I'm just being lazy in acquiring meatbag roster fillers for next year instead of dealing with signing a couple extra minor league FA's. Now that I think about it, I don't know why I even bothered posting this as an update... as none of these names will likely ever be heard from again.

Last edited by Nunyer; 03-08-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #88
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

OMG... it's 2052... Two thousand freaking FIFTY-TWO!! And you're telling me that I still have that gawdawful cell phone buzzing on my hip? Geez, just kill me now!
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #89
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
OMG... it's 2052... Two thousand freaking FIFTY-TWO!! And you're telling me that I still have that gawdawful cell phone buzzing on my hip? Geez, just kill me now!
The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Right back into the thick of things after the All-Star break, with a seven game home stand. First up is four games against the Grand Rapids Mammoths.

Grand Rapids Results

Grand Rapids 1 - Columbus 3 (11 innings)
Bid Stud Vega started shaky, needing 60 pitches to get through the first two innings, but settled in nicely after that. He finished with one earned run over six innings, despite six hits and five walks. David "The Admiral" Robinson looked good in his Hot Dogs debut, throwing two scoreless innings. RF Felix Gonzalez hits a two run walk-off HR in the bottom of the 11th.

Grand Rapids 4 - Columbus 3
Rookie Joe Davis gives up four runs in the first inning and Columbus could not claw their way back. Craig Hayden continues his solid work from the bullpen, pitching four innings of no-hit relief. Abel "Quagmire" Dale improves to 7-11 on the season for the Mammoths. Quagmire (giggity!) throws 7.2 innings, giving up one earned run and striking out seven.

Grand Rapids 2 - Columbus 5
Ben Childs was on top of his game, with 6.2 innings of three hit ball against Grand Rapids. Childs struck out nine and walked four while giving up one run. Columbus chased Mammoths start Gary Sylvester after five innings, roughing up the veteran righty for 11 hits and 5 runs (two earned). The Grand Rapids bullpen kept things interesting, delivering three innings and holding the Hot Dogs to one hit.

Grand Rapids 1 - Columbus 4
Rookie Joe Bowen looked dazzling in his first start of the second half, allowing no runs, 3 hits and striking out four through five innings. However, Bowen developed arm fatigue after only 75 pitches and left the game. The Columbus bullpen, which had been shaky as of late, clamped down for the victory. Three relievers allowed only one hit, a solo HR, in four innings of work. Struggling setup man Timmy Hendricks pitched a perfect eighth and closer Eric Braun struck out the side for his 11th save of the season.

Grand Rapids drops to 8th place in the Western. Columbus holds ground at 6th place, but are only 2.5 games back of the struggling Kentucky Bluegrass for 5th place. Columbus faces two of the top teams in the division over the coming week, welcoming 1st place Cleveland for three games then travelling to Cincy for a four game tilt against the 3rd place Cockroaches.

GM Journal

Grand Rapids is one of the weaker hitting teams in the league, but it still felt good to see our pitching staff perform at a high level. The bats are cold, but we did enough to take three of four. We'll be in trouble over the next week if we don't start hitting better.

Recently promoted draft pick Kane Green is hitting .304 in his first six games at Double A Nashville. At the pace he's going, he'll be playing in the NLB next opening day. Our Single A club continues to impress, leading their division with a record of 14-5. A good sign for our recent draft picks.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #90
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Cleveland Results

Cleveland 4 - Columbus 6
Earl Barnes entered the game in the top of the 8th, one man on base, protecting a one run Hot Dogs lead. His first pitch was crushed by Comrades third baseman Samir Vakhvakhishvili for a go-ahead two run home run. Thankfully for Columbus fans, the drama was not over yet. In the bottom in the ninth, Jeffrey Young draws a walk then Barry Summers flares a weak single to right field. After a No Name Jackson infield popup, Paul Webb comes to the plate and connects for a three-run, walk-off game winner. Webb is currently batting .231 with 22 long balls. Jose Mendez pitched 5.2 innings, holding Cleveland to two earned runs on eight hits.

Cleveland 5 - Columbus 0
Big Stud Vega gives up five runs on five hits over the first two innings, then settles down and pitches seven innings without giving up another hit. Unfortunately, Cleveland starter Emilio Rios had no such early inning struggles. Rios moves to 11-8 with a complete game three hit performance with eight strikeouts and only one walk.

Cleveland 1 - Columbus 2
For the second straight game, Columbus can only muster three hits against Cleveland pitching. The difference tonight is that it was good enough for a victory. Comrades reliever Carlos Rivera has a nightmarish ninth, walking three and then surrendering the walk off single to No Nickname Jackson. After the second walk-off loss in three days, Cleveland falls into a tie with Detroit for the division lead.

GM Journal

Two out of three from the division leaders! With good pitching making the difference. Great series for the team. Another big test looms for us... four games on the road against the Cockroaches. They are only 1.5 behind Cleveland and Detroit, so they should be hungry.

First round choice German Campos has been moved to Double A Nashville. Campos was hitting .341 in Single A, so I didn't see what else he had to prove. He will split time between 2B and 3B for the Moonshiners.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:33 AM   #91
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Cincy Results

Columbus 6 - Cincinnati 2
Ben Childs earns his seventh win of the season, going six innings only allowing four hits and two earned runs. Jose Aurillo strikes out four over three innings to earn his second save of the season. No Name Jackson continues his slow climb back from his worst season ever, going 2-for-4 with two RBI.

Columbus 7 - Cincinnati 8
Starter Joe Bowen did not have a good day, giving up six earned runs in under six innings of work, but the Columbus batters kept it close til the end. Ultimately Pedro Campos was brought into the game in the bottom of the 8th to face Cincy's big right handers, he surrendered back to back hits and took the loss. Jeffrey Young goes 2-for-2 with 2 RBI and three walks.

Columbus 0 - Cincinnati 3
Jose Mendez drops his record to 3-2 with the complete game loss. The rookie was solid except for one inning where he allowed three runs on four hits and a walk. Five Cockroach pitchers combine for the six hit shutout, striking out 10 Hot Dogs without allowing a walk.

Columbus 2 - Cincinnati 1 (10 innings)
Big Stud Vega goes 7.1 innings allowing only two hits and one run. David Robinson earns his first career NLB win with 1.2 innings of scoreless relief. Jeffrey Young wins the game in the top of the 10th with a solo home run, his 19th of the year. Eric Braun pitches a perfect inning to secure his 12th save.

GM Journal

We split against Cincy and can't complain with a 4-3 record over this tough stretch. Our next six games are against Bronx and Baltimore, middle of the pack Eastern division squads, hopefully we can keep gaining ground. Every time we seem to get within 6 or 7 games of .500, the wheels fall off... We need to break that trend.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #92
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Selig announces potential NLB Realignment
League considering three division format
by Vern Ruhle, YTGTESPN Staff Reporter
July 22nd, 2052

NEW YORK, NY - Bud Selig had made his first major announcement as NLB Commissioner, proposing a league realignment to a three division format. Selig's actual plan was quickly dismissed, as one division contained six teams called the "Milwaukee Brewers", the second division was filled with NFL teams and the third division was apparently filled with the names of Selig's pets. His handlers promised him fresh prunes and Matlock reruns and quickly escorted him away from podium.

Baltimore Ball Buster owner Mark Day then took the stage and presented the actual plan. "When Bud came to us with this idea, we immediately thought it could be a winner. Then he suggested that the All-Star game decide home field advantage for the Championship Series and we laughed him out of the room... but the realignment idea... we liked that."

The league would potentially switch to three divisions each with six teams. The divisions would be roughly geographic in nature, with some necessary concessions due to the large amount of teams along the east coast. The playoff format would remain the same, with the exception of one wild card being replaced by the additional division winner. The league has proposed the following alignment:

Great Lakes: Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Grand Rapids, Cincinnati, Columbus
Appalachian: Philly, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Kentucky, Richmond, Hartford
Seaboard: Boston, Bronx, Brooklyn, Washington, Baltimore, Rhode Island

Response from other owners around the league has been slowly becoming public. Apparently officials from the Kentucky Bluegrass are not pleased about being in a division that doesn't include geographic rival Cincinnati. Most residents of Hartford probably couldn't locate the Appalachians on a map. The NLB owner's committee feels that such bumps in the road are inevitable, but believes the potential realignment warrants serious discussion and could be put into place for the 2053 season.

When reached for comment, Columbus Hot Dogs spokesperson Destiny stated, "I really don't understand what you are asking me. The Great Lake, isn't that in Utah?"

Last edited by Nunyer; 03-09-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #93
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

We interrupt this dynasty story to bring you the following graphic image...

WARNING: This image could be disturbing to OOTP players. Viewer discretion is advised.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...sisnotgood.png
Old 03-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #94
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Bronx Results

Bronx 2 - Columbus 8
Paul Webb connects for his team leading 23rd home run to lead the Hot Dogs offensive charge. The once struggling Columbus pitching staff continues to perform on the mound. Rookie starter Joe 'Closer' Davis improves his record to 4-2, giving up only two runs on three hits. The youngster is still showing some command problems, walking six Bronx hitters but also striking out seven. The victory drops Davis' ERA for the season to 4.66. Second baseman Bill Norie also hit a two run home run, his sixth of the season. CF Bill Thomas, playing for the resting Mauro Moreno, stole two bases. He has 17 on the season.

Bronx 6 - Columbus 7 (11 innings)
It was a rough start for Ben Childs, giving up 10 hits and six runs in just under seven innings of work, but his batters helped to bail him out. Columbus scores two runs in the bottom of the ninth to push extra innings. In the bottom of the 11th, Mauro Moreno popped a walk-off solo shot. Dave "The Admiral" Robinson picks up the victory in relief. Robinson has appeared in four games since being acquired from Brooklyn, he has a record of 3-0 and has yet to allow a run in 7.2 innings of work.

Bronx 4 - Columbus 5
The late inning heroics continue for the Hot Dogs. In the bottom of the ninth, SS Jose Garcia slapped a ground ball single up the middle followed by a Moreno base on balls. Two batters later, Jeffrey Young delivered a deep sacrifice fly allowing one run to score and putting Moreno on third base with the game tied and two outs. Then with No Nickname Jackson at the plate facing a 2-2 count, Moreno bluffed a steal to home. Zoo closer Paul Schmidt hesitated just enough and home plate umpire Milt May signaled the game ending balk.

Columbus has now won four games in a row and seven of their last ten. The have climbed to four games under .500 for the first time since the 5th game of the season. The Hot Dogs have Thursday off before traveling to Baltimore for a three game weekend series against the Ball Busters. Both teams share almost identical records. Columbus is now 48-52 while Baltimore has one more loss at 48-53.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #95
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Baltimore Results

Columbus 6 - Baltimore 8
Columbus 0 - Baltimore 5
Columbus 4 - Baltimore 6

Turning the corner? Nope. Building momentum? Nope.

A half-star rated, 26 year old, injury replacement, life-long triple A scrub pitched into the 8th inning, giving up two hits with nine strikeouts, we made him look like Verlander. The bullpen goes back to what it does best, blowing saves (the Hot Dogs save percentage on the year is 59%). My roster is showing more snowflakes than somewhere cold where it snows a lot... Not our best series to say the least... against a very beatable team.

We come back home for three games against Cleveland. They have rediscovered their mojo since our last series, winning 7 of the last 9, and reclaiming a three game lead in the division.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #96
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Cleveland 9 - Columbus 5
Cleveland 7 - Columbus 4
Cleveland 3 - Columbus 2

The losing streak hits six games. The trade deadline has just passed. I decided to stand pat. My two bankable upcoming free agents (LF Gonzalez and SP Childs) will likely be worth more for their supplemental draft picks then what it looked I could get for them at the deadline.

The woeful Buffalo Soldiers come to Columbus for a four game set. Hopefully we can get heading in the right direction again... As after this series, 16 of our next 19 are on the road.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #97
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Hot Dogs Bill Norie out for season
Second baseman tears labrum, seperates shoulder in game against Buffalo
by Tom Veryzer, YTGTESPN Staff Reporter
August 1st, 2052

COLUMBUS, OH - The season of Columbus Hot Dogs second baseman Bill Norie is over, according to a statement released by the team. Norie was injured in the 4th inning in last night's 5-2 victory over Buffalo. Attempting to turn a double play, Norie was flipped head over heels on a hard slide by Soldiers left fielder Bruce Hall. Norie then landed squarely on his right shoulder.

"I felt a pop, then sort of a tearing sound, then some more popping and a crackle or two followed by a snap..." the 31 year old Norie told reporters this morning, "it was like a damn bowl of Rice Krispies and milk in my shoulder. I'm no doctor, but this is some bad ju-ju right here."

Norie is an upcoming free agent and the severity of the injury will probably prevent him from being able to play until after next opening day. When asked if he was upset or held any grudge towards Buffalo's Hall, Norie took the high road.

"Sure, this injury will probably cost me a million or two dollars in lost salary. My last big free agent payday is probably now a minor league contract, and that new vacation house I just bought isn't looking so hot right now... But I don't hold any hard feelings. I would have taken me out on that play as well."

On the season, Norie was batting .263 with 5 home runs in 75 games. Over his nine year career, primarily with the Bronx Zoo, Norie has hit .259 with 75 home runs in 1053 games. Columbus recalled IF Ken Phillips from Triple A Springfield to take Norie's spot on the roster.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #98
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Buffalo 2 - Columbus 5
The Hot Dogs only managed six hits, but that was enough to score five runs. Buffalo starter Ogai Suzuki made his first start of the season allowed three earned over 5.2 innings. Big Stud Vega hits double digit wins for the season, pitching seven strong allowing two solo home runs. His record improves to 10-7 on the season. Eric Braun records his 13th save.

Buffalo 0- Columbus 1
Joe "Closer" Davis looked good through 5.2 innings, allowing only three hits, one walk and striking out eight. He left the game complaining of shoulder stiffness after 97 pitches. He is not expected to miss his next start against Boston. Three Columbus relievers pitched well against the pathetic Buffalo lineup, allowing only two hits over 3.1 innings. Buffalo starter Uberto Godori walked home the lone Columbus run in the bottom of the first inning. He pitched a complete game for the loss, giving up five hits and two walks while striking out five.

Buffalo 2 - Columbus 4
Both starters went the distance, but the Hot Dogs Ben Childs came out on top. Throwing nine innings with one earned run, Childs earned his eighth victory of the year. Columbus scored all of their runs and had four of their eight hits in a big third inning, but otherwise Buffalo's Tim Kirkpatrick pitched well. DH/RF Jeffrey Young left the game with back spasms and is expected to be day-to-day for the next week. After the game, reliever Scott Thompson was optioned to triple A and OF Paul Cowart took his spot on the roster.

Buffalo 6 - Columbus 3
Outfield prospect Paul Cowart made his NLB debut tonight. Despite two dazzling catches in center field, the rookie couldn't help the team at the plate. Cowart went 0-for-3 with a strikeout. Reliever Craig Hayden was making a spot start and got roughed up for eight hits and six runs in five innings. Condor Summers hit his 19th home run of the season in the bottom of the eighth.

GM Journal
I'm happy with taking three out of four from Buffalo. They are probably going to lose well over 100 games this year, so anything less would have been ugly. As a team, the bats have gone completely silent. Losing Norie didn't help. We're not taking any chances with Jeffrey Young, we'll let him sit for 4-5 games just to make sure the back spasms don't get aggravated. I didn't want to bring Cowart up until next spring training, but the kid was hitting .326 in Springfield, he earned a shot.

The schedule isn't doing us any favors down the stretch. We're 10 games into a run of 20 straight without a day off. Boston, Kentucky and Richmond coming up.

A quick update on the Eastern Division... The defending champion Philadelphia Felons had looked to be having a season for the ages. A month ago they were on a historic pace to win 122 games. But over the last three weeks they've lost 12 of their last 17 games. They should still easily win the division, sitting on an eleven game lead with a little over 50 games to play, but 2nd place Hartford isn't rolling over. The Diablos won seven straight.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #99
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Boston Results

Columbus 7 - Boston 4
Columbus 5 - Boston 1
Columbus 7 - Boston 3

The team suddenly found their batting groove when they arrived in Beantown. We popped eight home runs in the three game sweep. Condor Summers and No Nickname Jackson each had home runs in consecutive games. Jose Mendez continues to impress as a rookie. He still throws to many walks, but went seven innings with two hits and one run allowed against a strong Boston lineup. He's now 4-4 on the year with an ERA of 3.39.

We've reached the glass ceiling... we've clawed back to 5 games under .500 a few times since the end of May. Every time we get here, the wheels fall off. We're playing a four game set against a hot Kentucky team that has won 8 of their last 10. They also happen to be 3.5 games ahead of us in the standings. I think everybody knows that this likely isn't going to be a playoff season, but hopefully we'll play for some pride and try to get into the top 5 in the division.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #100
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Welp, the glass ceiling is still in effect... haven't broken through it yet...

Columbus 4 - Kentucky 5
Columbus 4 - Kentucky 5
Columbus 6 - Kentucky 7
Columbus 8 - Kentucky 6

Managed to salvage something with that win in the 4th game... but just a heart breaking series to watch. The bullpen blew saves in the first two games. Felix Gonzalez took a suspension for bumping an umpire, he'll miss the three game set at Richmond. Paul Cowart's first big league hit was a three run home run, so that's nice. Too bad it was in a losing effort. He's 2-for-14 since his call up.

Down on the Farm

First round pick German Campos continues to make his case for a September call up. He's been shelling every level of minors. In single A, he hit .341 in 21 games. Double A was .329 in 17 games. In his first five games at triple A, he's hitting .450. Mothballs is starting to think that he will be competing for the lead off hitter spot next season.

24th overall pick SP Josh Gross is pitching very well at single A Charleston. The 18 year old righty is currently 5-2 with 1.89 ERA and 0.95 WHIP. He has struck out 72 hitters in 68 innings of work.

The only other draft pick doing anything of note is Kane Green, the 23 year old infielder out of UCLA. He was moved up to double A and is currently hitting .299 in 19 games. Mothballs has lowered his original lofty expectations for this kid, he now believes that Green probably maxes out as a NLB utility infielder