Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 09-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

Too Many Players in Minors (Rookie Ball)?

Hi all, been a long time since I posted here.

I just got the game and set up an MLB universe with fictional players. I used the default 200 round draft and then on June 1st had the default 30 round draft.

I have 71 players in Rookie ball now and all other rosters have 25 guys. I manage all aspects of the minors, but ask my coaches to set everything.

71 is too many guys right? Should I think about cutting 30 of them?

Thanks,
Andrew
andjbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
GEP
Minors (Double A)

When you look at the Transactions screen, the title bar for each of your minor league teams will show both the current number of players and the legal roster size for that league. For example, "Rochester Red Wings (28/25)," indicating that you've got 28 players on the team, but that the roster limit is 25.

Note that roster limits are only enforced during the season. If you've got 71 guys assigned to your rookie league team in the off-season, OOTP won't care. But during the season, it won't let you advance to the next day if your rosters are over the limit.
GEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, but

Only my ML team has a roster limit 25/25 (e.g.) The minors just list the total players.

I'm looking more for developmental advice.

Will 71 players in rookie ball hurt the development of my high round picks?
Will the bench players progress via ghost stats?
Old 09-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
jbsnadb
All Star Starter

Think about it this way. There are not enough games (nor enough innings in those games) for 71 guys to get sufficient playing time. Imagine a whole RL season that would need to be played like Spring Training just to get most of these guys even SOME reps.

Since the rookie league does not start up until after the draft, I would recommend a smaller initial draft which would leave this roster open for your amatuer draftees.
"And as I wander with my music through the jungles of Despair, my kid will learn guitar and find a street corner somewhere. There he'll make the silence listen to the dream behind the voice, and show his minstrel Hamlet daddy that there only was one choice."
jbsnadb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
GEP
Minors (Double A)

Unless you're planning to manually edit the lineup every game, the vast majority of those players would never even get into a game. I have enough problem getting playing time for guys on 35-man rosters. 30 seems to be about the limit for getting everybody decent playing time; anything above that, you're just warehousing guys to fill in when someone goes on the DL.
GEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:03 AM   #6
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsnadb View Post
There are not enough games (nor enough innings in those games) for 71 guys to get sufficient playing time.
I agree with this 100%

By the way, those donuts in your avatar make me hungry

On a side note, in some of my online leagues we are allowed 35 players in the low minors. So, I'll carry ten extra players, just for playing the development lottery. Sometimes, but very rarely, a player will develop even though he's riding the bench.
jmknpk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:21 AM   #7
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
does Rookie always start after the draft even for fictional leagues? not in the mood to check now but i just started my 2nd season and to my knowledge i have atleast 12 players on R roster. and i switched my draft rds from 12 to 25 dont want teh same problem he has.
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

Thanks guys.

I wound up paring the roster to 40. And still have 5 days to go (I play out every game at the ML level) to make more cuts. I think Washington has the most players of any other team around 32.