Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Enforcer
Minors (Double A)

OOTP Football

will ootp ever make a football version?
Old 04-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
kq76
Global Moderator

Highly doubtful unless you mean maybe one day adding another programmer and their own creation to the OOTP stable, but you're probably asking for a game very much like OOTP just of football. There are some programmers out there who can do a decent job at making two good sims based off of different sports, but I think they're probably far and few in-between. Surely it takes a real passion and excellent knowledge of a game to make a great sim and how many highly skilled game programmers are there out there who fit that bill for two sports? Maybe Markus is a big football (American I presume you mean) fan too, but I doubt it since I don't think he's ever mentioned it. Being German he's probably a big soccer fan, but it'd probably be a waste to try to compete with FM.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
rem
Hall Of Famer

Don't count on it.

2005 Winner of LL's Pick the Loser Contest! - 15-0
Old 04-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

I would settle for Wolverine studios actually doing something with there football game.

But as far as OOTP making one, I think they would make a new version of ITP before making something else.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:45 AM   #5
brewertoby
Minors (Double A)

Besides...Out Of The Park Football doesn't make much sense...
Old 04-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
brewertoby
Minors (Double A)

Sorry...

My last post was an attempt at humor. I merely was trying to point out that a football game wouldn't be named "out of the park". That's what wouldn't make sense. A good football sim would make alot of sense.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
elfdog428
Minors (Single A)

A football sim in the OOTP style would be so awesome, but the time it would take to get it off the ground and get the product to the consumer would be a long time. Even if that is all someone did for the next two years, I cant see it being consumer ready before then.

Is there a database like the baseball one for football, if not that would almost have to be made at the time too, otherwise, it would be less fun.

EA has locked up the rights to the NLFPA so that would keep the maker from using the real teams in the main product and that would not necessarily be a selling point without a database to bring in the current league structure.

All in all, would love to see it happen, but the chance are very slim. Maybe in a few years when I am done with school and have my programming degree, I take a leap of faith and see where things go.

Would love to see it but the prospects are not rosy for the near future.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
BradS
Minors (Double A)

OOTP Football..yeah, what a concept. Instead of minors it would include all levels college football even feeder leagues could be implemented, multiple league sizes, start from the beginning and develop your own league modeled after the NFL. Or model a semi pro league with less or no financials. 'It's your game play it your way' concept. Don't like to think about it much because it's a sad state compared to Baseball.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS View Post
OOTP Football..yeah, what a concept. Instead of minors it would include all levels college football even feeder leagues could be implemented, multiple league sizes, start from the beginning and develop your own league modeled after the NFL. Or model a semi pro league with less or no financials. 'It's your game play it your way' concept. Don't like to think about it much because it's a sad state compared to Baseball.
Amen. OOTP allows us to use what we like about baseball, and even expand on the implementation of those appealing qualities, and leave out what we don't like.

Every other sports simulation computer game that I've found is locked into the mode of its parent sport.

FOF is a slave to its economic system. Draft Day Sports College Basketball is locked into a paradigm of a national network of hundreds of teams; it's impossible to use that game to just simulate a single conference's season. Etc., etc. All of these sports sims rely on financial dynamics for game balance. No other sim besides OOTP allows its user to isolate the sport, and concentrate solely on the strategy and personnel management which comprise the heart of the game.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchel View Post
Amen. OOTP allows us to use what we like about baseball, and even expand on the implementation of those appealing qualities, and leave out what we don't like.

Every other sports simulation computer game that I've found is locked into the mode of its parent sport.

FOF is a slave to its economic system. Draft Day Sports College Basketball is locked into a paradigm of a national network of hundreds of teams; it's impossible to use that game to just simulate a single conference's season. Etc., etc. All of these sports sims rely on financial dynamics for game balance. No other sim besides OOTP allows its user to isolate the sport, and concentrate solely on the strategy and personnel management which comprise the heart of the game.
Well put. Lack of flexibility is what eventually turned me off to FOF after a brief and intense love affair. For example, IIRC, modders would make historical rosters, wishing to play historical seasons, but you could not alter the composition and alignment of the present-day NFL structure included in FOF.

- Bru

Old 04-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #11
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

OOTP Football...I'd welcome such an animal, even if it were only as sophisticated as OOTP5.

An OOTP soccer game would be absolute heaven for me.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Old 04-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #12
Jersey-Jim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
OOTP Football...I'd welcome such an animal, even if it were only as sophisticated as OOTP5.

An OOTP soccer game would be absolute heaven for me.
I agree. The German's know soccer and would produce a great game.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:52 AM   #13
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey-Jim View Post
I agree. The German's know soccer and would produce a great game.
The problem is competing with Football Manager.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #14
Infinity
Hall Of Famer

They could go the route they went with Title Bout Championship Boxing. Find a way to get the rights to Avalon Hill's old Statis-Pro Football (May as well get the Statis-Pro Basketball while we're dreaming!...). Then The football and basketball versions were among the best of the genre at the time, using the same action deck concept that the Trunzo's used with Title Bout. That would give both a point of reference for structure, and some data to add some meat to the bone (historical) so to speak.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #15
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
I don't think that would be a problem. FM isn't customizable at all, while customizability is at the heart of what OOTP is. An OOTP-style soccer game would be aimed at a completely different type of player.

And who knows: I think you will find that many FM players would welcome a game that's highly customizable and has the type of online league capability OOTP does.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Old 05-01-2009, 12:45 AM   #16
Jersey-Jim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Football manager concentrates on a lot of the intricate aspects of the game and the management details. American fans are not as educated in the sport as European fans are because we haven't grown up with the game. Nevertheless, American fans can appreciate the drama of winning world and league championships - no matter what the sport.

I think a soccer game with Fictitious teams in Real US Cities with the goal of guiding a team and/or building a league may do pretty well.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:51 AM   #17
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

I agree that a game like OOTP for any form of football would be cool.

Soccer would be easier if you don't want to be able to watch the games and just simulate the scores, goal scorers, and yellow / red cards, possession, etc.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #18
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

I would be fine with ootp making a soccer version of itself. Just as long as there are a few things added in so us americans find it more enjoyable. A few ideas would be:

1. Have a lot of full body tackling
2. Goal posts in the shape of a Y
3. Have a zone where if the player makes it in there with the ball its 6 pts
4. Have only one player able to touch the ball with his feet
5. Change the name "Goal" to "Touchdown"
6. Change the name from "Soccer" to "Football"

Yay, if OOTP decided to make a "Soccer" game I would be all for it if the above things where added or changed.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #19
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfdog428 View Post
I am an avid Football fan, the real 'football', otherwise known here in America as Soccer and own FM 2008...
I own CM 01/02, FM05, WSM06, WSM07 and WSM08. Fun games, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfdog428 View Post
... The main problem would be the massive amount of leagues would take many, many years to recreate for this style of game. That is one of the main problems FM faces...
I think the player community would step up and create all the rosters/leagues one would ever want to play, very, very quickly. I tihink they would do a much better job than SI's pool of official researchers. SI moves slowly, when it moves at all, and so does its army of official researchers. There are leagues that FM players want to play now, and SI is simply not interested in adding them to the game. Ghana. Egypt. Nigeria. The USL-1 and USL-2 leagues. Some people want to go lower into UK non-league. Some people want to play international 'super leagues.'

Give players a football game within which they can create their own leagues, real or fictional, without waiting for some company's approval way, way, way down the road, and watch what happens.

Game players love to create mods!

Oh well. This thread is supposed to be about American football--or 'throwball,' as it is sometimes called--so please forgive me for diverting it.

For the record, I would also love to see an OOTP-style game on American football.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #20
kq76
Global Moderator

Let's try to keep this thread about an OOTP Football sim game, please. I've split off the talk of other football sims into its thread in OT.
Closed Thread