Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #1
thakfu
Minors (Single A)

Work around for historical minor players joining teams?

So I think I figured out what the issue in my game is, but I'm not sure there is a work-around.

To summarize... I have a fictional-historical world using historical draft classes, including the minor league DB. The world is based on real life with a couple of changes. 1) The Milwaukee Brewers exist in the American League (I'm currently in 1914). 2) A fictional PCL exists as an Independent League with teams named for real-life PCL teams (LA Angels, SF Seals). I play with automatic evolution off to achieve this (teams moving as they do in real life.)

On November 15th each year when the draft class is generated, the Brewers and a number of the PCL teams have players from the minor league DB sign directly with them rather than entering the draft. This is because in the years I've played thus far the Milwaukee Brewers and a number of PCL teams were real life minor league teams and the players being assigned to them were players who played for them in real life. Such as Beany Jacobsen with the Brewers in 1902.

I came to figure out this only occurs with Major League or Independent teams as this does NOT happen with any of my affiliated minor league teams. I also came to the conclusion that this is by design as a way to properly filter independent and negro league players to their proper teams (assuming one was using real minor league teams). The fact that I'm NOT, further tells me the game achieves this by looking at the team name of entering rookies in the minor DB and if it finds any indy or major teams with a matching name, the players go to that team. I confirmed that this is based on FULL team name as adding, subtracting or otherwise changing any team abbreviations or other identifiers has no effect, BUT changing a team name STOPS the players from being assigned (I changed the Seals name to the Sealss and the players that would have been assigned went to the draft pool instead).

I know, a lot of confusing rambles... lol

Anyways...my question is, is there any work around to have all the players go to the draft pool other than renaming these teams? Would the game recognize if I added a trailing or preceding space to the city or nickname? Or an underscore or period (undesirable, but if necessary) ? Would there be any other sort of work around? It seems you can't edit the database itself and change the team names?

Hope I explained this well. Thanks!
thakfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakfu View Post
So I think I figured out what the issue in my game is, but I'm not sure there is a work-around.

To summarize... I have a fictional-historical world using historical draft classes, including the minor league DB. The world is based on real life with a couple of changes. 1) The Milwaukee Brewers exist in the American League (I'm currently in 1914). 2) A fictional PCL exists as an Independent League with teams named for real-life PCL teams (LA Angels, SF Seals). I play with automatic evolution off to achieve this (teams moving as they do in real life.)

On November 15th each year when the draft class is generated, the Brewers and a number of the PCL teams have players from the minor league DB sign directly with them rather than entering the draft. This is because in the years I've played thus far the Milwaukee Brewers and a number of PCL teams were real life minor league teams and the players being assigned to them were players who played for them in real life. Such as Beany Jacobsen with the Brewers in 1902.

I came to figure out this only occurs with Major League or Independent teams as this does NOT happen with any of my affiliated minor league teams. I also came to the conclusion that this is by design as a way to properly filter independent and negro league players to their proper teams (assuming one was using real minor league teams). The fact that I'm NOT, further tells me the game achieves this by looking at the team name of entering rookies in the minor DB and if it finds any indy or major teams with a matching name, the players go to that team. I confirmed that this is based on FULL team name as adding, subtracting or otherwise changing any team abbreviations or other identifiers has no effect, BUT changing a team name STOPS the players from being assigned (I changed the Seals name to the Sealss and the players that would have been assigned went to the draft pool instead).

I know, a lot of confusing rambles... lol

Anyways...my question is, is there any work around to have all the players go to the draft pool other than renaming these teams? Would the game recognize if I added a trailing or preceding space to the city or nickname? Or an underscore or period (undesirable, but if necessary) ? Would there be any other sort of work around? It seems you can't edit the database itself and change the team names?

Hope I explained this well. Thanks!
thakfu,

I am going to have to read this six more times and use a chart and graph. What DB are you using? Is it the standard game one or something else? I believe that the game looks at the historical ID when placing players, and the Franchise ID for tracking teams. I change the team abbreviations to eliminate things like ML1, NY3, SF etc. because I like the look of a 3 letter abbreviation. I don't know if this helps you at all. I will re-read your post some more.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER11JP View Post
I believe that the game looks at the historical ID when placing players, and the Franchise ID for tracking teams.
I believe that's true for majors, but for minors it is the full team name (at least that was the case for OOTP 18).
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

When trying a variation on having manually-added historical minors (ala the stickied post at the top of this sub-forum), I found that if I updated full team names just prior to the player import, then minor-leaguers would import to their historically-correct team. However, by changing the team name just prior to the player import, that affects history. So in the example of the early 1900's Portland team, historically they were...

1903 Portland Browns
1904 Portland Browns
1905 Portland Giants
1906 Portland Beavers

So in my OOTP game, in late 1903 the rookies on the Browns imported to Browns for 1904. Then just before the late-1904 import I changed the name to Giants. Therefore, even though they played all of the 1904 season as the Browns, in OOTP's history they would appear as the Portland Giants (because the name-change was done prior to OOTP saving the 1904 history), but the 1905 rookies imported to Portland.

Then in 1905 they would play as the Giants, but since I changed their name to the Beavers just prior to the late-1905 player import, the history would then show that for 1905 they were the Beavers.

It's a bit of a quirk, I guess... Hopefully this makes sense... And note that the above was done with OOTP 18. I assume the scenario remains the same with 19, but not sure...

Quote:
... is there any work around to have all the players go to the draft pool other than renaming these teams? Would the game recognize if I added a trailing or preceding space to the city or nickname? Or an underscore or period (undesirable, but if necessary) ? Would there be any other sort of work around?
I suggest testing these scenarios out. And if an added space or underscore does in fact work, then 1) that space or underscore would be part of the league history, 2) other than in the history, you wouldn't have to live with the space or underscore; you could simply add it just prior to the import, and then remove it just after the import. I think.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:38 AM   #5
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

So much would be solved if these imports happened a bit later and separately.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:47 AM   #6
thakfu
Minors (Single A)

I don't think there is anything wrong with how the game handles this. It makes perfect sense for Negro Leaguers especially. It just doesn't work as well in historical games with fictional aspects to them. Some sort of checkbox along the lines of "all first-year players from minor league DB get placed in the draft pool, no exceptions... no, not even you." would be ideal.

I haven't got to test the name change scenarios yet as I'm in the middle of a season, perhaps sometime tomorrow, if not Monday.
thakfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:02 AM   #7
RMc
All Star Starter

Quote:
Some sort of checkbox along the lines of "all first-year players from minor league DB get placed in the draft pool, no exceptions... no, not even you." would be ideal.
This is pretty much what I want. I like playing "historical fictional" -- a universe where there are no "major" or "minor" leagues per se, just (fictional) professional baseball clubs, with the top players gravitating toward the top clubs in the biggest cities. I've always wanted to be able to have access to all MLB and MiLB (and NeL) players to fill out my rosters, but it doesn't quite seem to work that way. You can't use the MiLB players without real minor league teams being created -- and I don't want the teams, just the players.

I've also adjusted the MiLB Master db by assigning random first names to all the guys named "Ballplayer", which I switched to Nickname. (For instance, Ballplayer Abadie is now John "Ballplayer" Abadie. Looks a lot better.)