Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #21
mirrf
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green & Gold Heart View Post
The only thing I don't like is that they're now saying Healy will be playing 1B/DH while Plouffe is at third. Wasn't Healy pretty solid defensively at 3B or am I mis-remembering?
Healy was OK defensively, but nothing special. I remember him having issues coming in when people bunted, but all that could be improved upon. I think it's more like the A's see Matt Chapman as the future 3B. -And Chapman is a better defender than Healy.

They must see Healy as a future starter and want him to find a position when Chapman comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrf View Post
Time is like a crystal pool in front of a mirror, wrapped in a fortune cookie. It is to be eaten, but the glass shards will burn brightest when coming out the back end.
mirrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #22
Green & Gold Heart
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Healy was OK defensively, but nothing special. I remember him having issues coming in when people bunted, but all that could be improved upon. I think it's more like the A's see Matt Chapman as the future 3B. -And Chapman is a better defender than Healy.

They must see Healy as a future starter and want him to find a position when Chapman comes.
Oh yeah, Chapman. I think he's the real deal.
Green & Gold Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #23
mirrf
All Star Starter

I found him unreliable the first time around, but Santiago Castilla is back with the A's. His numbers post A's have largely been very good, but all I can remember from him is blown saves.

Hopefully, he can be a good to great middle reliever.

Quote:
Time is like a crystal pool in front of a mirror, wrapped in a fortune cookie. It is to be eaten, but the glass shards will burn brightest when coming out the back end.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:21 PM   #24
Lafayette53
Major Leagues

Optimism is in the air on certain things for the first time in about twenty years.
Lafayette53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #25
mirrf
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette53 View Post
Optimism is in the air on certain things for the first time in about twenty years.
I have gone beyond optimism and flipped the scale to pessimism. Yea, I don't even know what that means, either.

It would help the A's if the Raiders left town, but that doesn't look be happening now. And I also don't think the A's will have a bigger budget if/when they get the new stadium. I think it would take a change in owner. Which is entirely possible if the A's get a new stadium.....

On the field, it really is up to Sonny Gray. If he returns to his old self, I think we could be competitive. If he repeats last year, I can't envision a way to get to 80 wins. Manea/Graveman/Cotton would all have to progress a lot more than I could expect.

Quote:
Old 02-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #26
mirrf
All Star Starter

Pitchers and Catchers report...... TODAY!

Quote:
Old 02-14-2017, 02:02 PM   #27
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve

Is there still talk of the A` s moving to San Jose (or another city)?.I`m from the Netherlands and unfortunately MLB baseball doesn`t get very much exposure here..
Hageneezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #28
Green & Gold Heart
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hageneezz View Post
Is there still talk of the A` s moving to San Jose (or another city)?.I`m from the Netherlands and unfortunately MLB baseball doesn`t get very much exposure here..
No, it seems that ship has sailed, and things are progressing toward a future site in Oakland. They seem pretty committed to Oakland at this point. mirrf would probably know more about it than I do, but that is the impression I get.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:16 PM   #29
Green & Gold Heart
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pitchers and Catchers report...... TODAY!
Old 02-14-2017, 02:26 PM   #30
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve

Quote:
No, it seems that ship has sailed, and things are progressing toward a future site in Oakland. They seem pretty committed to Oakland at this point. mirrf would probably know more about it than I do, but that is the impression I get.
Thanks! I hope they`ll never move from Oakland
Hageneezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #31
mirrf
All Star Starter

Quote:
All signs point to the A's staying in their territory, which is a very good thing.

Quote:
Old 02-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #32
Lafayette53
Major Leagues

Quote:
Supposedly they're going to chose a ballpark site and have a timeline on it within the year. So by the end of 2017 we will know what path they are on.

Their marketing in the meantime has become very Oakland-centric. Their tagline is #rootedinoakland. All of their commercials were filmed around landmarks in Oakland. For instance I saw Sean Doolittle filming by the Fox Theater when I was riding my bike there, they had Sonny over by Lake Merritt for one, some players at the Zoo, and the mayor of Oakland is even supposed to be in one of the commercials. That may not seem like a big deal, but I don't think they've marketed like that since Haas sold the team and the clouds of relocation started to cover the team again. I think that qualifies as pretty all in on trying to make it work in Oakland. Which makes sense because I don't think any of the other cities in Alameda or Contra Costa County make much sense at this point and San Jose was never going to happen without a massive payout.

Last edited by Lafayette53; 02-20-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Lafayette53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #33
Green & Gold Heart
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, it seems like the move to Dave Kaval as team president and the "Rooted in Oakland" ad campaign are going over extremely well with the fanbase, which was something that was sorely needed. I am optimistic that we will have resolution on the ballpark issue and good things will happen for the A's soon.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:20 PM   #34
Green & Gold Heart
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like Sonny will begin the season on the D.L.

Gray has lat strain; no throwing for 3 weeks

I know it's just a minor injury, but I can help but start to wonder if we're ever going to see the 2013-15 Sonny again.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:01 PM   #35
mirrf
All Star Starter

Quote:
Sounds like Sonny will begin the season on the D.L.

Gray has lat strain; no throwing for 3 weeks

I know it's just a minor injury, but I can help but start to wonder if we're ever going to see the 2013-15 Sonny again.
Ouch.

At this point, if Vegas put the A's win total at 70, would you choose the over or under?

Quote:
Old 03-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #36
Green & Gold Heart
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ouch.

At this point, if Vegas put the A's win total at 70, would you choose the over or under?
Under.. I think it's going to be a long year. But let's muddle through it and get the #1 draft pick, I say!
Old 03-10-2017, 04:59 PM   #37
mirrf
All Star Starter

Quote:
Under.. I think it's going to be a long year. But let's muddle through it and get the #1 draft pick, I say!
Any year without Sam Fuld has to be a good year, right?

Quote:
Old 03-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #38
Green & Gold Heart
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Any year without Sam Fuld has to be a good year, right?
My version of that one is Adam Rosales and... welp...
Old 03-10-2017, 06:02 PM   #39
mirrf
All Star Starter

Quote:
My version of that one is Adam Rosales and... welp...
Sorry about that. I'm still not quite sure why the A's signed him. *Any* ABs he steals from Healy, Semien, or Lowrie is a lost AB. I guess he's insurance when (and I mean when instead of if) Lowrie goes down.

Even then I would like to see a young guy get some time. Wendle maybe?

Quote:
Old 03-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #40
Green & Gold Heart
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sorry about that. I'm still not quite sure why the A's signed him. *Any* ABs he steals from Healy, Semien, or Lowrie is a lost AB. I guess he's insurance when (and I mean when instead of if) Lowrie goes down.

Even then I would like to see a young guy get some time. Wendle maybe?
Yeah, why not give a guy like Wendle as many at-bats as possible? I guess we can't expect everyone to stay healthy though.