Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 03-21-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
Tribecards
Bat Boy

Question Draft Picks??

I am new to OOTP. I have a 44-team league and I imported the full master roster. I am trying to set the draft picks for each team (all human-controlled). I don't see where you lay out the draft picks for each team. I have looked through manuals, etc, but nothing seems to spell out how this is done.

I found that if I go to a Manager's Home Screen > Draft Screen > Continue Draft, there is a place to drag a name and I can select "draft player" but I have two questions there: 1) Does that assign the player to a specific team? and 2) in the lower middle, I have one team shown (not the team for which the selected manager belongs, btw) and I cannot change it.

My long-winded post boils down to what I think should be a simple question: How do I manually assign draft picks to each team before running the draft??
Tribecards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:27 AM   #2
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Out of the Park Baseball Manual

Out of the Park Baseball Manual
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

go in commissoners mode.

You can arrange the order of the draft on draft day in the draft menu.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
Tribecards
Bat Boy

Thanks for the replies. I will take a look this evening. I can set the TEAM order, but I am trying to set the PLAYER order for each team, if that makes sense. I think the problem is that I may have to select "View As..." in order for the "Team View" to change. I haven't played with that yet.

Thanks again! I'll post more if I hit a related snag.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #5
Tribecards
Bat Boy

I think I see my problem. I want to be able to go to each team, set their draft pick choices, then have the game run the draft for me.

Instead, it looks like I have to run the draft manually based on list submissions from my human managers (it is not an online game).

So, I have my managers fill out a Google Form with their picks. I then randomize the draft order in OOTP. I look at the Google list and pick players in order based on the serpentine draft order.

I was hoping to automate some of this, but I think my particular application just doesn't allow for that.

Thoughts, insights, experiences in this type of scenario?
Old 03-22-2014, 11:42 PM   #6
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

If you configure your OOTP saved game to be an online league, you could do this. See this section of the manual for more information.

However, that may not mean that you need to run your league as an online league. It may be possible to configure it as an online league but never set up any human managers. But then the AI is going to handle all of the rosters, transactions, and other business unless you plan on doing all of that work on behalf of your GMs. But that would be an absolute nightmare.

Unless you just want to allow your GMs to draft players and leave everything else to the AI, I would strongly encourage you to get every member of your league to buy OOTP Baseball. It's easy to configure your league. And your GMs can easily download the latest league file from within the game and submit their lineups, changes, contract offers, or other business for each sim period.

Otherwise, in the immortal words of Walter Sobchak, "you're entering a world of pain."
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
Tribecards
Bat Boy

Haha, "World of Pain" - Over the years of doing the baseball card giveaways, I seem to bring more pain into my world than the season before! That's okay, though. I think this will be fun. I don't anticipate many moves during the season because this simulation is tied to the baseball cards those managers pull from packs I open. Then again, I may opened a can of worms.

I might have to check into some kind of a bulk purchase/reseller agreement with OOTP since we're talking so many copies.

I think my best bet now is to make a backup of the game, run through a few simulations to see how it goes, then monitor and adjust as needed. I really had no idea what I was stepping into by tying the card giveaway to OOTP. But, I think it will be fun, nonetheless!

Thanks for all your help! I'm like a blindfolded kid in a candy store!
Old 04-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
TheGrackle
Bat Boy

Hi
I've played OOTP 2012 and 2013 and have had plenty of available players for the 1st year draft but with OOTP 2014 there were only 33 players available for my 16 teams league.
Is there a setting in 2014 for the number of availble newcomers?
TheGrackle is offline   Reply With Quote