Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 04-06-2014, 01:52 AM   #1
badrazor
Bat Boy

Question about player ratings and 1 gameplay question :)

Hello!

I have been playing baseball sim games off and on since the early 80's on my Apple IIe and love them. I love baseball, played college ball and semi-pro as a pitcher. Anyway, i'm deciding whether i want to invest time in OOTP 14 and there are a couple important factors for me that i need to know before i buy and i have done some youtubing and internet research and haven't found my answers yet so here i am!

1) how are the players rated? Are there categories and they are rated on a scale of 1-10? 1-100? A letter system?

2) if i am playing in manager mode for a particular game, is there some animations (even if crappy) of what's going on? I like to see the ball pitched and it's flight into the field. I like playing a baseball sim game and the suspense of will the ball drop in for a hit? etc

Thanks for any info. I'm afraid from what i've seen, there are no annimations at all which would probably be a deal breaker for me. I like to play game to game and see the action as i manage the game
badrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:23 AM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrazor View Post
Hello!

I have been playing baseball sim games off and on since the early 80's on my Apple IIe and love them. I love baseball, played college ball and semi-pro as a pitcher. Anyway, i'm deciding whether i want to invest time in OOTP 14 and there are a couple important factors for me that i need to know before i buy and i have done some youtubing and internet research and haven't found my answers yet so here i am!

1) how are the players rated? Are there categories and they are rated on a scale of 1-10? 1-100? A letter system?

2) if i am playing in manager mode for a particular game, is there some animations (even if crappy) of what's going on? I like to see the ball pitched and it's flight into the field. I like playing a baseball sim game and the suspense of will the ball drop in for a hit? etc

Thanks for any info. I'm afraid from what i've seen, there are no annimations at all which would probably be a deal breaker for me. I like to play game to game and see the action as i manage the game
Forgot what the ratings system is for 14 and before. 15 is PECOTA at least for MLB. Players are rated by your scout and/or OSA OSA is the default scout. They are rated in arm, control, eye, power, speed, etc. You can use different scales other then 1-100. I use 1-10 many use 20-80.
There is some ball flight animation but I dont pay attention to it as i am reading the PBP. In 14 there is no pitched or batted ball animation. 15 will have HR animation and perhaps some more animation other then that. See the feature list for that.
Even without real animation you will not find a better baseball sim. I came to OOTP from High Heat, Tony La Russa 3 & Hardball. I will take OOTP over those any day. I played some Diamond Mind and had 2 versions of Baseball Mogul. OOTP blows them away in my opinion.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:40 AM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

The Game nailed it IMO. I can only tell the OP that if he has ever listened to a game on the radio and been able to visualize what's happening then OOTP is even better than that. If not then... ... ...

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #4
El Muneco
Bat Boy

I can sympathize with the OP - I cut my teeth on Earl Weaver for the Amiga, and one of it's great strengths was the way it put you "in the moment" (one of its great weaknesses was the in-game voice announcer's inability to correctly pronounce important words like "Honus"). So I completely understand the desire to have as immersive a gameday experience as possible.

That said, I'm having a blast with OOTP 14. The core product (I expect 15 will be even better) is solid, strong (no inexplicable lack of L/R splits like Mogul at release, for example), customizable (what other product lets you pick your own ratings scale). For me, it has that "one more turn" thing that only the great ones have.

There is a learning curve - financials are nontrivial, and the sheer range of customizability guarantees that your first two games will be false starts due to having left a vital option off or a silly one on. Plus ratings require a bit of head-wrapping-around - the relationship between overall ratings and composite ratings, and the fact that "potential" isn't a constant (even taking the complications of scouting and development out of the picture). But that's a good thing - there's enough depth there that you can't master it on the first sitting.

I think it's the best product ever in the simulation niche - may not be 100% designed to be perfect for any particular person, but the range of features beats anything that's ever been.
El Muneco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Mordeth65
Bat Boy

I am also a noob. The ratings are easy to get used to, as was pointed out it is an option to change.

This game is Deep!! After almost 3 weeks, I am finally learning the right way to setup my leagues. * must setup feeder leagues or no players to draft* I cannot imagine anyone who likes management sims who will not love this game.

When my 3rd baseman went on a 32 game hit streak, it was amazing how into it I was.

It is money well spent imho.
Mordeth65 is offline   Reply With Quote