Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 04-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
Tigerz
Bat Boy

Disappearing Defensive Position?

I had a 36 year old second baseman with margin defensive rating. He played for four years but late in the 4th season I noticed that his rating at 2B was *gone*. No rating whatsoever. He had no other positions and now has none listed. I didn't mind much because I was moving him to DH anyway.

So I brought up a young 2B from AAA the next season and signed a veteran 2B to provide depth and insurance. The new veteran was 38 years old and could only play 2B. Now halfway throught the season, the defensive rating for the veteran is *gone*. He also played no other positions and now has none listed. I've played him at second a few times and he seems to field okay (he was not so great to begin with anyway) but now I'm wondering what's going on.

Is it normal for defensive positions to totally disappear? Or is this some bug? I couldn't find anything.
Tigerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Yes it's normal to lose defensive skills with age. You made note that one player was marginal and that the other could only play 2B. That's a hint that they may not be useful for long. For non-starting position players your focus should be on good defense and multi-position ability. Most leagues should have a bucket full of marginal hitting but decent to good infield defenders to choose from. If you don't see that, check your player creation settings.

In my leagues I pay a premium for good backup infielders. They can save a season when injuries hit. Get them some playing time and occasionally the development engine will kick in a ratings boost.

Avoid infielders who were average to poor defensively when young. They will lose skills much earlier.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
Tigerz
Bat Boy

I found this in the online manual:
Quote:
Note: A player cannot 'lose' positions. Once he has learned a position, he will always have a rating at that position.
I understand losing skills with age. I don't understand going from a '6' at 2B to no rating at 2B in the space of two month's game time.

From what the manual says it actually sounds like a problem. If it went to '1' it would be one thing. Or even to '0' if that's a possibility. But to no rating at all?

Last edited by Tigerz; 04-02-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Likely the issue isn't that he lost the position but rather his skills degraded enought in age that he no longer gets a rating there. For middle infielders there is a minimum of range/arm/dp that the player can have in order to be rated at the position. Though he has earned enought points on the 0-255 scale to be rated at the position he doesn't meet the R/A/D criteria.

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
http://www.ootpmods.com
Gambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerz View Post
I found this in the online manual:
I understand losing skills with age. I don't understand going from a '6' at 2B to no rating at 2B in the space of two month's game time.

From what the manual says it actually sounds like a problem. If it went to '1' it would be one thing. Or even to '0' if that's a possibility. But to no rating at all?
Yeah that comment is confusing. There is a fine distinction between a "position rating" and the "ability" to play a position ie defensive skills. In other words when you see the position rating disappear it doesn't mean he's forgotten how to play a position, just that his skill ratings are below the threshold for a visible position rating to show. Do these players show any ratings for range error arm and dp?

I can find many OF who once played CF but have no position rating for it. For IF it happens with SS. Less so with 2B.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
Tigerz
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Do these players show any ratings for range error arm and dp?
Yes, they do. I've played one of them at 2B a few times and he's not made any errors, though I don't know how he's really done.

I was just surprised by the overnight drop from a 6 to no rating. Especially as other players have a 1 at some positions.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

From what I have seen

arm lower than 51 will kill SS and 3B rating
error lower than 51 will kill any rating in the IF aside from 1B
Range lower than 101 IIRC will kill CF rating
range lower than 61 will kill SS

What usually happens in cases like this?
Range plummets to 1...huh?

I know what Markus was trying to do with this setup, but I think it's horrid, as it happens 98% of the time to older players

Go in there and fix it...I do a quick look in Jan and then Aug to see if this happens to guys 35 and over.
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
Tigerz
Bat Boy

Thanks for the feedback guys. I knew that I was pressing my luck on the old guy glove-wise, but I just didn't realize how quickly it could get so much worse.

Follow-up question based on my understanding of the answer to my original quesiton:

If a player suddenly "loses" his rating at a given position due to his defensive ability ratings falling below a certain threshold, does his defense at that position really nosedive, or is it really just eroded a bit due to the slightly lower ability rating?

Put another way, say I have a veteran 2B with a defensive rating of '6' at 2B and an error rating of '52.' Then his error rating drops to 50 and his rating at 2B disappears. Is he a LITTLE BIT worse due to the slightly lower error rating, or is he MUCH worse because now he's not rated as a 2B at all?
Old 04-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Tigerz, although yes players will lose their defensive ratings at any position it also matters what the scout thinks. OSA may have him with def ratings at 2B while your scout may not. If he is not committing too many errors and his ZR isn't overly bad you can get away with him for now. Most likely his double play is too low. It happens very often to 3B in OOTP.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Btw, this is a normal occurrence when importing historical players with career fielding or multi year. Often those 3b-ss guys or other odd utility guys gets their positions locked out. I've seen guys rated at no position.

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
Old 04-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambo View Post
Btw, this is a normal occurrence when importing historical players with career fielding or multi year. Often those 3b-ss guys or other odd utility guys gets their positions locked out. I've seen guys rated at no position.
Posts like this make me love this forum. Thanks for the info.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Posts like this make me love this forum. Thanks for the info.
It's what I call the Andre Robertson effect. He only in occasion will get rated as a SS. Look it up.

OOTP MODS:
available at...