Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 04-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
Brnwsbucksfannc
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Cant get past start of season - Advice?

First off, thanks for all of the advice on here. It has helped me quite a bit. I actually got 13 because of this board and then purchased 14. I am strongly considering 15, but I want to accomplish more before I do.

I feel like I understand baseball okay, not an avid fan, but a big fan of this type of sim game. The things I don't know about baseball I can pretty easily find out about online or here.

I cant seem to get past the start of a season as a mlb gm. I find myself spending days on trying to select the best team, then a couple of weeks going through all of the players, only to give up and start over. Ironically, I have done pretty well in the South American leagues, not so well in the Pacific ones as a manager.

I like to play in a 'realistic' league so what I have been doing is starting a new game, simming through 2013 and then signing as a gm with a team who fires theirs. But then the owners are people no one wants to work for. Finally though, last night, after 5 days of simming, Houston fired their GM and the owner is understanding and generous so I took over. Now, I see they have 7 minor teams and I feel completely overwhelmed!

So how do I get past this? Any ideas? I know I can set the computer to control the minor league rosters but how much do they control?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really love the data in this game, but just don't think I can control that many teams.
Brnwsbucksfannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
Jythier
Minors (Single A)

I believe there are options that can put you in charge of certain things with the minors and the coaches in charge of others. Right now I have my minors completely managed by minor league coaches because I did an inaugural draft and got no prospects.

As soon as I do the draft I'm going to stop them from being able to promote and demote, and stop them from signing/releasing. Mostly I had nobody on my A team and I didn't want to weed through a billion no-name no-talent hacks just to field a crappy team.

Regardless, you can make it so they can't promote/demote or sign/release if you want. Then the computer will take care of the lineup, but you need to make sure you have the right guys there. You can also force certain players to start but I don't know how that works.

A lot of people use ghost players so that the only guys in the minors are the ones that mean something to you as a ML GM.

At some point I assume I will descend into madness and control the lineups in the minors.

Good luck! I'm new at this so I don't have much advice for you yet. But I've had trouble getting into the season - after the first couple games it'll be easy though.
Jythier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
Brnwsbucksfannc
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for the advice. I read quite a few posts on here about the same type things. So I decided to set up a historic game starting when I was 30 and limit it to majors, aaa, aa and a. I got hired for an aa team straight away.

By just concentrating on what I am supposed to do and trying to watch what the ai gm does, I have made it through 3 seasons and have progressed to "average gm".

So think I will see what happens with this.
Brnwsbucksfannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
Jythier
Minors (Single A)

There are so many things you can do.

I personally am more interested in the GM role, though I like to set the majors lineups... I also want to control who is on the team to go on the lineups. One of my favorite parts is spring training, when we call up everyone under the sun to fight for the coveted 25 spots, and the starting 8 spots, and the rotation... it's just a blast to get all the players in and see how they perform without worrying about team cohesion or winning and losing. Of course, once the season hits, those 8 better start winning! And they never do.
Jythier is offline   Reply With Quote