Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - Online Leagues

OOTP 14 - Online Leagues Want to create or join an OOTP 14 online league? This is the right forum for you.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
rollercoasteradam
Bat Boy

Beginner's guide to online leagues?

Would anyone be kind enough to give a brief beginner's guide to how online leagues work or point me in the direction of one that already exists?

I've been playing the game for a few months offline, and I think I have a really good handle on the game in general. I'm interested in joining an online league, but I'm a little nervous because I don't exactly know how they work. It's one thing to poke around the game offline on my own while occasionally getting lost or messing something up, but I don't want to waste anyone else's time because I don't know what I'm doing.

I know they all differ, but I'm completely lost as to how they work at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
rollercoasteradam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

They are pretty straight forward.
1) Different types- Historical, fictional, modern (soon to be fictional).
2) Different formats- There are a few relegation leagues and other alternative formats out there.
3) Pace- The leagues I have been in usually sim 1-2 weeks at a time. I have seen some that run through a season in a month or a week? maybe a week. There are fast sim leagues though.
4) Involvement- Some leagues have writing requirements or a reward system for involvement.

Mechanics of being a GM.

You will have the league in your OOTP game. Access it just like off line.
You will have permissions to make changes to your team, FA offers, draft picks, etc. All of the regular GM duties. Really the only things we do out of the game are trade offers and our Salary Cap.
You make your changes, upload the file to the leagues server, this is done from you Managers screen. The commissioner downloads the leagues exports to his game and runs the sim. You then DL the league file and proceed as a GM again. It is very similar to playing solo except you play against people instead of the AI. Which really make the game more immersive to me.

I did not play a solo game until I had been playing OOTP for about 4 years. I still have only made it 4 years into my longest solo game. That is simming a week at a time too. Online league are why I bought the game.

Any clarifying questions are welcome.

Good luck,
Tom
Old 12-01-2013, 03:19 AM   #3
rollercoasteradam
Bat Boy

Thanks for the help.

I think I may be a little more worried than I need to be, but I don't want to join a league and just be a burden because I don't know what I'm doing.

I'm actually most curious about the technical aspects of it, now that I think about it. I understand everything about how there are different types of leagues (historical, sim, modern, etc.)

What do I actually have to do to GM a team? Submit a lineup every day? Play out and coach a game? How is it coordinated so that everyone is doing things on the same timeline?

I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot, but I'd rather sound like an idiot here than annoy other people in an online league who already know what they are doing.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Online leagues are the same in almost every respect to solo leagues, the biggest difference is someone else is responsible for running the simulation. Your league will have a deadline for your "export file" You make your changes whatever they may be, roster moves, lineup adjustments, strategy changes etc... and after you have made all the changes you need/want to make you'll have on your manager home page an Icon that says "Export Team via FTP" you'll click that Icon, your file with thr changes will be uploaded the the league site...at the deadline the commish will download all the team files for every one that exported, import the files with the changes and run the simulation playing games/advancing the files a specific number of days during the off season whatever the Leagues simulation schedule calls for.

After the Commish runs the simulation GM's will download the new files from within the game, check the results and from that point it is nothing more than a rinse lather repeat of the above however often that particular league runs simulations. Most leagues I know of Sim at least 3 times a week (These sim's can be anywhere from 7 in game days to one month, depends on the league format. But there are leagues that sim as little as 1 time a week and as often as every day. There is even a league out there that sims on "Real Time" one day of game time every day of the year.

You need to pick a league that fits your personnel schedule and preference.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
rollercoasteradam
Bat Boy

Thanks! That was very helpful.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
USF
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoasteradam View Post
Thanks! That was very helpful.
Best way to learn is to jump in. If you are able to play the game offline, I am sure any online league will be full of people that will help you especially if you are committed to playing and putting the time in.

Jason
ABL Commish
http://usfleagues.net/concrete
USF is offline   Reply With Quote