Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
Boom Boom
Major Leagues

OOTP Online?

Is there going to be a OOTP Online?

I remember reading about an OOTP Online game similar to Baseball Mogul Online coming out. It seems thou, BMO is pretty much dead. Any news would be good news right now and I know that there is a customer base of around 400 plus in BMO just a few months ago, right now there are is probably a good 200 playing. BMO is now closed to new signups as it will die a slow death.

I remember reading about OOTP Online a few months ago from a newsletter.
Boom Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
rem
Hall Of Famer

Yes, I remember something about OOTP Online, too. It sounded pretty cool, but I don't remember what it was all about.

2005 Winner of LL's Pick the Loser Contest! - 15-0
rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
kq76
Global Moderator

Why is BMO closed to new sign-ups?

Those BMOers could always become OOTP online leaguers.

As for OOTP Online, the last I heard was that Andreas was working on it. Who knows when it will come out. Unless we hear more, I wouldn't wait for it over something else.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
rem
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
Why is BMO closed to new sign-ups?
I couldn't find a link, but I think they are going out of business.

2005 Winner of LL's Pick the Loser Contest! - 15-0

Last edited by rem; 11-09-2008 at 09:33 PM.
rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
satchel
Hall Of Famer

I understood that "OOTP online" was a fairly high priority for Markus, and that it is probably about a year away.
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
Jason
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait for any form of H2H to appear.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #7
Boom Boom
Major Leagues

BMO isn't going out of business, but the problem is that is cost so much to opporrate. Mostly the cost of Ian. They have to fix billing and really that has been there excuse for a long time. If other companies can do billing right, why can't BMO?
Old 11-10-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
Cubfan2001
Major Leagues

Hey Boom Boom.... Its me BBmogullover21... I agree with boom Boom I would love OOTP Online to end up happening!! I would sign on day one!! On a side note... Boom Boom I heard from Daves in BOTB that you quit BBMO because even though we werent supossed to be charged again you just got charged recently?
Cubfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
phillosopherp
All Star Reserve

I am showing how long I have been here with this statement but what is OOTP-Online supposed to be? I see that it is supposed to allow H2H from the conversation but what are the other features and such that have been floated. I just basically looking to find out how it is supposed to be different from online leagues really.
phillosopherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:09 AM   #10
edm
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillosopherp View Post
I am showing how long I have been here with this statement but what is OOTP-Online supposed to be? I see that it is supposed to allow H2H from the conversation but what are the other features and such that have been floated. I just basically looking to find out how it is supposed to be different from online leagues really.
I think this was the latest news given by Markus

Quote:
OOTP Online
Possibly the biggest news for today is that we are currently designing a new game, based on OOTP, called "OOTP Online". OOTP Online will be a subscription-based online league version of OOTP, that will be marketed towards fantasy baseball players. OOTP Online would use the OOTP engine for simulating, but would be competely hosted, and would be largely automated. OOTP Online would not replace OOTP 9, nor would it eliminate support for online leagues in OOTP 9. Some of the planned features for OOTP Online include:
A web-based front end where GMs can submit transaction changes even when away from their PCs
A "lite" OOTP client that would receive a "changes-only" file from the server each sim, eliminating large file downloads.
An integrated message board within the lite client, so that GMs can access the league message board from within the game
An integrated chat program within the lite client, so that GMs can chat with each other
A points-based subscription system where leagues could win points that could be used to pay for subsequent seasons, etc.
Support for historical leagues, something that has never really been present in the fantasy baseball world.
There is no release date for OOTP Online as of yet, but it will be after OOTP 9. We're very excited about this, and really feel it can help bring OOTP to a completely new audience.

Basically it will be a service that offers all sorts of online leagues but without a commish. Everything is automated, each day there will be 3 or 4 days simulated, the website updated & uploaded, results emailed to you and the league files posted... there's some stuff that current online leagues do not feature, like automated trades, a built-in forum and chat feature etc. It will be the perfect way to compete against other OOTP players.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #11
phillosopherp
All Star Reserve

okay so it is a whatifsports type thing. Cool I enjoyed the idea of whatifsports but the way they do things was crap.
phillosopherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:51 PM   #12
Boom Boom
Major Leagues

Sports Mogul is shutting down Baseball Mogul Online.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #13
Cubfan2001
Major Leagues

Thats not how BBMO was..... It would be hard for me to explain Im sure BoomBoom can explain it a bit better... basically it was a version where players were still generated by the game just in a different page.... and you could make trades, signings and so forth without having to send files to people... it was already automatically done.... Im sorry Im talking very stupidly.... Hopefully someone else can help me LOL
Cubfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #14
Boom Boom
Major Leagues

BMO is played on a server, all game file is on the server, so all you have to do is log in. The interface is also on the server, you never have to download anything. Anychanges you want to make, you do it via IE7, Firefox..ect. The leagues sim automatically, so you can sim 10, 20, 30, 60 sim days, each day. You can sim it all at once, or a little each hour, they even started 24 hour sims, 2 years ago. Most leagues sim from 9am-5pm, simming about 3-4 sim days each hour. You can trade to human owners, free agents are bidding format, and the only thing that wasn't done for you is the draft picks. The League commissioners would have to run drafts, and reassign the draft picks to the correct teams...

Anway, this post is worthless because BMO will be dead on December 1st.

Looking foward, I hope that OOTP"O", will be available soon. I hope it has the ease and funness that BMO has. I know that there are a lot of people who will be coming over here to Buy OOTP.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
BMO is played on a server, all game file is on the server, so all you have to do is log in. The interface is also on the server, you never have to download anything. Anychanges you want to make, you do it via IE7, Firefox..ect. The leagues sim automatically, so you can sim 10, 20, 30, 60 sim days, each day. You can sim it all at once, or a little each hour, they even started 24 hour sims, 2 years ago. Most leagues sim from 9am-5pm, simming about 3-4 sim days each hour. You can trade to human owners, free agents are bidding format, and the only thing that wasn't done for you is the draft picks. The League commissioners would have to run drafts, and reassign the draft picks to the correct teams...

Anway, this post is worthless because BMO will be dead on December 1st.

Looking foward, I hope that OOTP"O", will be available soon. I hope it has the ease and funness that BMO has. I know that there are a lot of people who will be coming over here to Buy OOTP.
Since OOTP Online sounds like it will be similar to BMO, perhaps you can explain to me how it might be (or how BMO was) better than traditional OOTP online leagues. I don't see the advantages in it. OOTP touts that theirs will be "automated". Well, it seems to me that a human commissioner has the ability to be much better than any computer program could ever be so I don't see that as a positive. They say it will have a built in message board and chat. Big deal. Online leagues can easily install those too if they want and at least with online leagues people have a lot of choice of what kind of message board or website to go with. With this I imagine it'll be one way and that's it. Then there's the likely higher cost of OOTP online (or BMO) and I totally don't get it. I'd get it if online leagues didn't exist or were phased out as something is better than nothing, but if they're not to be phased out then I don't get it. The one thing I do get is starting a league with OOTP Online will likely be much less work for a commissioner (will there even be the need for one?), but I don't see why people would want to join it over a traditional online league and in the end won't that be all that matters?

EDIT: I want to wish OOTP well with any venture as anything that helps them should help the community, but I didn't like this one from the start. Maybe with more info I'll come to see the advantage in it, but I think they've got their work cut out for them on this one.

EDIT2: They do say it's going to be marketed towards "fantasy" league participants though and since I don't get the fun in those either, maybe there's good reason why I don't get this. Unless they make it very much like how fantasy leagues work (it sounds like they'll be more like how our leagues work), though, I don't get how they'll attract fantasy fans either. A fan of BMO may have some insight on this however.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #16
Boom Boom
Major Leagues

I got word that it might be launched sooner than later. I know that a whole bunch of mogulers will be over here soon. Toast: here is to the success of OOTP Online
Old 11-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #17
TheNamelessPoet
Minors (Single A)

hey boom and cubs its me from BMO

I would be interested as well as long as the prices are at least similar to BMO.
TheNamelessPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #18
Boom Boom
Major Leagues

hey poet
Old 11-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #19
Professor
Minors (Rookie Ball)

The big difference between BMO and OOTP leagues is speed. There are leagues , if you want, can sim 5 games an hour (60 a day). You can go through a complete season in a couple of days What you do lack is getting to know your players. BMO was a real player setup, so with that speed, you do have an idea who was good.
FBL : Indianapolis Arrows
=========
Hattrick: High Tops
Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #20
Boom Boom
Major Leagues

There are going to be 400 GM's that don't have a Home as of tomorrow. BMO will be shut down on December 1st.