Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2003, 09:35 PM   #1
church
Minors (Double A)

Name file for a female league.

*FIRST* - If you are going to use these files BACK UP afnames.dat, fnames.dat and lafnames.dat. If you don't you will only be able to generate female named players. These files are located in your ootp 5 directory in the Data folder.

Once you have backed up those files just replace the files with the ones in the zip file. When you want to use male names again just restore the original files. It's really quite simple.

How this was made: I took the 1000 most popular names from each decade from 1900 to 1990 and put them into a text file. I then had a friend write a small script to count the instances of each name and spit out a file with the names in alphabetical order with their frequency beside them. So it looks something like this:

Amy 8
Isabel 2
Sue 5

Just as in the real fnames file but different in the fact that it only goes up to 10 and well its all female names. I thought about changing the frequecys to go higher than 10 but decided that I'd rather have more unique names come up than to have a hundered Marys etc. Plus names are not static through time so I don't want the task of weighting which names are more important/common.
Attached Files
File Type: zip women.zip (25.6 KB, 130 views)
Old 03-06-2003, 09:47 PM   #2
church
Minors (Double A)

I forgot to mention that the name files are all just american names. If anyone knows of a good source for asian and latin names I would appreciate it if you passed the information along to me, thanks.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:36 PM   #3
UKrookie
Minors (Double A)

Here is a good source of names:

http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/
Old 03-07-2003, 10:18 PM   #4
church
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally posted by UKrookie
Here is a good source of names:

http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/
Thanks, this is a really good source for asian names. Hopefully I'll find a similar resource for latin names.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:26 PM   #5
church
Minors (Double A)

Thanks to Ukrookie for the website containing asian names.

Just replace the afnames.dat in the original zip to get proper asian names.

Represented are first names from China, Japan and Korea. Unfortunatly the game doesn't let you distinguish names for specific regions so if you get a Korean first name with a Japanese last name theres really not that much that can be done about it. Though I'm sure most people here won't really know the difference.

Frequency is set to 1 for each name. The reason is that I really don't know anything about how frequent these names are. Plus asian players aren't generated all that often so I'm sure most of you would rather have unique names for the few asian players that are made. That said you can always edit the frequency of the names by changing the number after the name to something higher. You can do this with Notepad.
Attached Files
File Type: zip afnames.zip (2.4 KB, 106 views)
Old 03-10-2003, 05:00 PM   #6
fluharty
All Star Starter

Question: does the game still use he/him/his with the girls? I am assuming it does. Just thought I'd double-check.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:05 PM   #7
church
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally posted by fluharty
Question: does the game still use he/him/his with the girls? I am assuming it does. Just thought I'd double-check.
Yes it does as far as I know.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:38 PM   #8
Shorty
All Star Reserve

Yes, because the only thing being changed is cosmetic.