Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 05-01-2003, 01:21 PM   #21
NYJuggalo45
Hall Of Famer

yeah man...i know its alot of work, but they're pretty cool...gives me something to do at work besides, god forbid, work! i read the pitcher and 1b ones already
Old 05-01-2003, 05:46 PM   #22
GForce22
Banned

USBA Reporter Mickey Marshall Takes A Look At The Catching Prospects
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Memphis Genral Manager Tim McCarver and Oklahoma City General Manager Johnny Bench have both expressed positive feelings at the catching crop for the USBA draft.
"You should see some good offensive numbers out of the position here," McCarver said, "though there is some solid defensive work back there too."
None possess the rocket arm of Johnny Bench, but the catching crop looks to include several well rounded players who will put on the gear as the USBA gets underway.

1) Crash Davis: One-time minor league home run champion, Davis brings a power stroke and a take-charge attitude to the field. Given his experience, he would be a valuable asset to a pitching staff as well as a lineup. As teams look to develop a pitching staff, Davis is going to be one of the first places they look. Solid if unspectacular defensively.

2) George Knox: Injuries derailed a promising career for Knox, who brings .290/25 HR ability to the field. Davis' attitude is probably the only thing that gives him the bump over Knox, though teams won't go wrong with either of them. Actually has an arm slightly better than Davis' with better reflexes behind the plate.

3) Joe Louis Brown: Possibly the best bat of the catching crew, Brown doesn't draw many walks, but hits balls a long way and provides workman like effort behind the plate. It would not be a shock if he is the first catcher picked, given his power potential. Former batterymate for top 10 pitching prospect Stud Cantrell.

4) Jack Parkman: Kicked around in the White Sox and Indians systems, a big-time power hitter who was hurt by what many viewed as an arrogant, bullyish attitude. Doesn't seem to have toned it down at all, but hit the stitches off the ball during workouts. Would be quite the attraction to see his personality in the New Orleans dugout with manager Will Clark.

5) Mike Engelberg: Heavy set power hitter out of the old school mode. Doesn't look like he should be able to get around on the ball, but he can put a charge into it. Doesn't apologize for his build as he ate all throughout workouts. This may scare some teams away, but finding a catcher who can hit balls 450 feet is not something that comes easily.

6) Jake Taylor: Hot prospect with the Indians, watched his knees blow out, went to play in Mexico, came back into the system and won a minor league championship before hanging it up. Lots of questions as to how his knees will hold up, but he's a gamer with some pop and a great defensive catcher. He'll give all he has, much like Davis, though without the offensive upside. 15-20 homers, .280 isn't out of the question.

7) Bruce Pearson: One of the better stories of the USBA, Pearson suffered from Hodgkin's disease back when playing with pitching prospect Henry Wiggin. The two would love to end up on the same squad, but there is obviously no guarantee there. Pearson has worked hard to revitalize himself physcially and has a determination to succeed after a second chance. One of the players who will be most watched throughout the USBA's inaugural season.

8) Dan Williams: Long Island product with an excellent release from behind the plate and a good bat for average, though not with the power of the other prospects on this list. Williams is an excellent teammate, a driven performer and an asset behind the plate. How high he goes will depend on the team that values defense over power behind the plate. McCarver has been keeping an eye on Williams, and if he fails to get one of the top names on this list, could bring Williams to Memphis.

9) Bernard Guerrero: Similar to Williams with a little less hitting for average and a little more pop. A notch below defensively, but still solid. Nothing flashy, put part of the solid but unspectacular crew that follows the top 5 or so at the position.

10) J.C. Scott: Good bat with average and some power, but a poor defensive catcher, may be better off at first base. Still, the brass at the workouts seemed to think Scott could hit upwards of .320 if given the chance. It remains to be seen how much slack poor defense at catcher will be given for his bat.

Best of the Rest: Olen Dobos, Rocco Divone, Leon Carter, Javier Morel, Gus Sinski, Jack Parkman, Joe Williams, John Kinsella.

Hope you enjoyed the breakdown. Second basemen will be done tomorrow.

GH
GForce22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 01:40 PM   #23
GForce22
Banned

2B Preview

USBA's Mickey Marshall Takes A Look At The 2B Prospects
------------------------------------------------------------

The second baseman lot of the USBA draft could be an interesting haul. None stand to be first round picks, which should see mainly pitchers and first basemen, with an outfielder or two thrown in. That said, there are a lot of solid players at the position, some out of the typical slap hitter/nice glove mold, and some who can provide more of an offensive spark. A variety of strengths and weakness, it will be interesting to see what each club values as the draft shakes out.

1) Mickey Scales: Former Twins farmhand brings the best bat of the bunch to the 2B position. Questionable defense but 30 homer potential could offset. If he can evolve a la Jeff Kent into at least a serviceable 2B, he'll be a perennial all-star.

2) Elias Segarra: Another good bat, more for average than power, Segarra can also run and should give 20+ steals. Has enough power to possible reach 20, though the 12-15 range is more likely, with an average upwards of .300.

3) Alvaro Abril: Speed merchant from the Bases Loaded Baseball League, should be up for the league lead in steals. Will give 280+ average, 15+ home runs, and a solid glove at second base. Possibly the most complete package at 2B in the draft.

4) Ernie Pantuso: Former Red Sox farmhand, retired after a beaning several years ago, became a bartender in Boston for the bar owned by pitching prospect Sam "Mayday" Malone. In his prime, a line drive hitter with little patience and a unique (and ultimately unfortunate) talent for getting hit by pitches. Could give .300 and 15 homers. Adequate in the field.

5) Tanner Boyle: Little bit of everything...solid average, little power, some speed, good defense. Does nothing brilliantly but does everything at least average. Could be a nice 2-hole guy.

6) Jose Martinez: Essentially a clone of Boyle with less speed and a little more power.

7) Joey Colombo: Slap hitter with excellent patience and speed, could be an excellent leadoff man. Solid with the glove, carries a bit of an attitude and used to get into fights in the minor leagues, most often for sliding in with his spikes up to break up a double play. An exciting player but someone opposing teams will hate.

8) Manny Solomon: Solid hitter with a bit of pop, but stands out for his exceptional defense. An outstanding teammate, a team with some mashers that wants someone who will get on base and will solidify the middle defense would do well to jump on this guy.

9) Benjamin Franklin Rodriguez: Found playing on a Sandlot in California, full of tools. Will already hit for average and give solid defense, and would be higher on this list in a few years once his power develops. 20-25 homers down the line is not out of the question.

10) Sam Tuttle: Former Yankee farmhand, very similar to others on the second half of this list. Solid average, some power, decent defense. Those who miss the top 10 are similar as well, which will lead to interesting debates come draft day.

Best of the Rest: Rich Woodworth, Larry Hilbert, Scott Rubin, Santiago Salvador, Tony Miceli, Mickey Dominguez, Chris Schalschunes,
Jamie Weeks
Old 05-02-2003, 04:44 PM   #24
GForce22
Banned

USBA 3B Prospect Preview

USBA Writer Big John Whalen Analyzes The 3B Prospects
------------------------------------------------------

You'll learn quickly that I love the bangers. It was much to my dismay that I didn't get the assignment to write up the first base prospects, because that crop can mash. The third basemen aren't on that level, but the top dogs can slam the ball around. As long as they don't have me write about the shortstops or center fielders.
In all seriousness, the USBA 3B crop looks rather top heavy, with decent guys following a very impressive top 5.

1) Ray Mitchell: Former Angels minor leaguer came into the USBA tryouts absolutely crushing balls. A solid, though unspectacular prospect when with the Angels, some doubt whether Mitchell will hit this well once the real season begins, but he was far and away the best bat at third during tryouts. 40 homers is not out of the realm of possibility.

2) Fred Fendy: Another masher from the Bases Loaded league, Fendy has the potential to be a home run champion. Powerfully built switch hitter with power from both sides, Fendy draws few walks but also doesn't strike out much for a power hitter. He'll go early and will slide into some team's cleanup slot immediately.

3) Mike Centro: Ho-hum, another Bases Loaded League slugger, Centro brings massive raw power to the table. A poor defensive third baseman, Centro's offense will make teams forget about his glovework. May be good enough to battle Fendy and a handful of others for home run titles.

4) Roger Dorn: Played in the Cleveland system with Jake Taylor, OF Willie Mays Hayes and live-armed Rick Vaughn, Dorn alienated teammates with an arrogant, me-first attitude. More interested in endorsements than getting down and dirty, Dorn's tools traditionally were better than his results, particularly defensively. Home Runs sell, though, and Dorn will hit his share along with a solid average. If motivated, can also play an adequate third base.

5) Joe Gansrow: Lacks the power of the others in the top 5, but could very well hit .350 without breaking a sweat. Outstanding pure hitter with a good glove at third, Gansrow is a prototypical 3-hole bat. Also a cutup in the clubhouse, known for once walking onto the field during a high school game wearing bunny slippers. Keeps the clubhouse loose, but is tough as nails, will play through injury and get dirty.

6) Harold Bryant: Lefty bat with lots of pop vs righties, Bryant is young with good tools and could blossom down the line. Right now, has trouble vs lefties, but this could pass with more reps and coaching. Average at best glove.

7) Jim Sivertson: The only top 3B prospect with speed as an asset, Sivertson laces line drives to left field like clockwork. A dead pull hitter, can turn on any pitch and hits most balls down the left field line, something scouts think could pose a problem later on once the league starts positioning him differently. The tools are there for .280, 20 HR, 30 SB, a nice package. Great range to boot, but very erratic with the glove.

8) Paul Matterrosso: Line drive bat like Sivertson, but hits to all fields and has an exceptional glove. Should hit in the .300 neighborhood with doubles power and be a perennial gold glove winner.

9) Willie Barnes: Poor defense and plate discipline drop Barnes down this list. In the Hardball Baseball League, Barnes racked up home runs and demonstrated considerable raw power. Has holes in his swing, but if you don't find them, he'll find the bleachers.

10) Keith Goda: The highest ranking member so far from the Baseball Stars Association, Goda offers up a good average and batting eye, with a little bit of power. Not enough power to hit in the heart of the order, could actually slot as a #2 hitter in the right lineup due to OBP.

Best of The Rest: Jose Ramirez, Gregg York, Basilio Valtierra, Marcus Ramson, Chris Ahern, Keith Cliff, Kevin Robinson, Rob Moran, Balta Castillo

(Look For Big John Whalen's "Power Surge" report on the USBA Web Site once the season kicks off).
Old 05-02-2003, 05:53 PM   #25
Ty
Minors (Rookie Ball)

wow...this looks great...very interesting reading. I can't wait for the actual draft - hopefully my nearby Omaha boys can pick up some good ones.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:55 PM   #26
GForce22
Banned

yeah, I'm kind of anxious for the draft too. This stuff is to kind of build up player recognition for the league while I buy time to tweak ratings, league settings, get the stadiums right and get the Web site up. Have company staying with me this weekend and they stay in the computer room, so I probably won't get much done. But sometime next week I should get the season kicked off.
Glad you're enjoying it.

GH
Old 05-02-2003, 09:20 PM   #27
rewc27
All Star Reserve

Awesome job GForce. I love the write-ups and the bios off the players. By any chance are you going to make the league available for download? It's so much better done than anything I have done, I would love to be able to play it for myself. I do understand if you keep it for yourself.

Now Defunct Arcanum league - Phillies 1934 World Series Champs

Commish of the long time running (now defunct) UMBL.

Real Estate Needs
www.randysellsyourhome.com
rewc27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 11:45 PM   #28
potatoman
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
great job gforce....

New Jersey Nighthawks (1227-717)

Last 5 seasons

2011: 118-44
2012: 100-62
2013: 111-51
2014: 106-56
2015: 108-54

OTBA Champions: 2008, 2010,2011
potatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 09:09 AM   #29
GForce22
Banned

I hadn't thought of it but I could put it up for download once it's ready.

GH
Old 05-03-2003, 02:01 PM   #30
NYJuggalo45
Hall Of Famer

great previews dude, awesome depth
Old 05-03-2003, 08:03 PM   #31
blmeanie
All Star Starter

Picked my favorite team, even before the draft.

Boyhood idol, Yaz, will lead my team. Despite his ability to find talent, Yaz' links (significant pun intended) with top branded sausage companies leads me to believe that the grilled sausages (complete with sauteed peppers and onions) sold outside the stadium will be comprable with the best I have ever had, outside of Fenway.

Go Long Island!

btw - very interesting read, thanks

email me at blmeanie

Above link works for some email client programs but not all, email me at blmeanie33@earthlink.net
blmeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 01:05 AM   #32
Dargone
Hall Of Famer

One of my favorite threads ever
I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken -- and I'd rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived.-Margaret Mitchell
Dargone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 09:07 AM   #33
goroyals
All Star Reserve

I have to go with Louisville, the nearby favorites with a masterpiece by Teffy as a home.
goroyals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:29 PM   #34
GForce22
Banned

Shortstop Prospects For USBA Draft

Austin Sisco Reviews The Shortstop Prospects For The USBA Draft
----------------------------------------------------------------

Shortstop in Major League Baseball has taken a twist in recent years, the evolution of a change initiated with Eastern League President Cal Ripken Jr. No longer is a shortstop just supposed to be a glove man. He needs to hit, if not for power than for average. And he should add some speed too. The USBA crop lacks a true power hitter, which could disappoint fans. But it does include some solid hitters and glove men with a speed dimension. That said, shortstop is perhaps the weakest position group as a whole in this draft. If you don't get one of the top few, it's basically take your chances

1) Mike Robinson: Solid bat with great patience and outstanding power vs lefties, Robinson posesses average range but below average hands. The biggest potential with the bat out of the group, Robinson could slide by virtue of his defense.

2) Tim Gansrow: A more complete player than Robinson, solid across the board. Lacks the homer upside but better with the glove, including a cannon for an arm, and adds a speed element.

3) Spike Boro: Tough calls here 3-5, Boro gets the first spot based on the best contact hitter with the best hands, though his range is a notch below average. From the Bases Loaded league, Boro could hit in the .320 range, with little power.

4) Joe Toner: Switch hitter with a bit of power potential, carries himself with a bit of a swagger that rubs opponents the wrong way. Above average speed, a decent but erratic glove, Toner, when right, could be the most complete shortstop package of the lot.

5) Pete Rooney: Lacks power but will poke singles all day long. Has good speed, good range, a natural leader, the former New Jersey semipro all-star is a student of the game who was already garnering respect for his professionalism during workouts. A team high on intangibles will look hard at Rooney.

6) Kofi Evans: Hurt by poor range for a shortstop, posesses good hands, a line drive bat with a little power. If Evans can improve his defense, he will be a very good pickup. A team that grabs good defense, particularly range, at third and second can cover for him and let his bat be the focus.

7) Luis Keystone: Teammate of pitching prospect Bingo Long, Keystone is a professional hitter with a bit of power and good plate discipline. Also brings above average range and speed on the bases. A little erratic with the glove, but not to the point where he'll hurt a team, Keystone could very well go higher than this in the shortstop line.

8) David Stringham: Average across the board, scouts say he'll hit about .270 with 10-15 home runs, chip in 10-15 steals and play a solid if unspectacular shortstop. Because no single skill jumps out at you, could be a sleeper pick late.

9) Dale Robin: Slow for a shortstop, Robin has good power and outstanding hands for the position. His range is suspect but if he gives the power scouts project and can keep his average over .260 or so, he'll man the slot nicely.

10) Phil Salina: Another possible sleeper. Like Robin, nothing Salina does jumps out at you. His range is nothing great, but he hits line drives consistently and will catch whatever he gets to. A few guys in the crop like this as you can see, Salina may have the best bat upside of the last few guys.

Best of the rest (all essentially defense-first players): Juan T. Lopez,
Paco Izquierdo, Rich Crusco, Jefferson Tibbs, Tim Fox, Dennis Cantalupo

I'll be back when we get to center field, but Big John Whalen will be back next with the left fielders.

(Austin Sisco Is Editor In Chief Of USBA Weekly. His league wrap-ups will be found on the forthcoming USBA Web Site and in newspapers near you).
Old 05-05-2003, 08:49 PM   #35
GForce22
Banned

USBA LF Prospects

Big John Whalen Looks At The USBA LF Prospects
----------------------------------------------------

You have to walk before you can crawl, and you have to build your way up to the top of the heap. That's why I do the USBA left field talent before the right fielders, where the main outfield mashers reside. It's not that the left field crop is poor, it just doesn't measure up in terms of meat and inducing whiplash on pitchers. One big bat and a lot of good bats follow. Knowing power is my bias, the left field talent shakes out as follows:

1) Ray Debro: I'm sure the Bases Loaded league had guys who didn't just mash, but that league sure turned out some Whammer's. Debro is the class of the crop with the bat. .300, 40+ HR potential, Debro doesn't just grip it and rip it. He has good plate coverage, adequate discipline and can even run a little bit. If he isn't the first left fielder taken, I'll drink my coffee out of a cup for a week, and I don't mean Dixie.

2) Hank Contos: Hey, wow, a shock...another Bases Loaded league bat. Did this league have any pitchers? There are like 5 in the league, but every power position has 2 or 3 of them. Was this a slow-pitch softball league? .300+, 20+ homers and a truckload of plate patience. Not as devastating as Debro, but nasty nonetheless.

3) Kevin Bailey: Nobody knows where this guy came from, but he has 20+ homer power and, though he won't hit for a good average, will probably draw 100 walks. May actually be too passive. A little aggressiveness could make this guy a 30 HR guy.

4) Davis Birch: Never got a shot despite great minor league numbers with both Detroit and the Yankees, Birch is a powerfully built slugger who could hover around .300 with 25+ homers. Not a great outfielder but has a cannon for an arm.

5) John Merritt: An outstanding defensive outfielder, Merritt can put up 20+ homers and possibly steal as many as 20 bases. Only his defense rates as exceptional, but there's no skill he lacks, and that could go a long way.

6) Chris Rosaschi: Some debate as to what kind of average he'll hit for, but he has a whip-like swing that generates real power. He'll strike out a lot, but will walk too and also add a speed element. .270, 25 HR with 80 walks isn't a stretch.

7) Guy Jose: From the Hardball Baseball Association, Jose hits for average more than power, but can still knock 15 or so out. Good patience at the plate and adequate enough in the field, may be best suited as a #2 hitter, and a good one at that.

8) Steve Gansrow: The third of the Gansrow brothers in the draft, Steve is the biggest question mark. Not always in shape, he plays hard nonetheless, which will endear him to fans. The youngest Gansrow, there has been some concern how he will play in an environment away from his brothers, one of whom has been with him throughout his playing days. It will be interesting to see if this impacts his draft status.

9) Dan Moskowitz: Reputation as arrogant from anyone who has met him, Moskowitz will run down other players in the league ad nauseum. A stick figure of a guy, generates tremendous torque on his swing from the left side and as such generates power far greater than he looks like he posesses. Will be interesting to see him on a team with another player getting the bulk of the attention. Has loads of talent, with excellent speed and is a very aggressive baserunner. Will strike out but draw a lot of walks as well.

10) Harry Dodds: A tough call for the 10 spot, Dodds gets the nod from me for the best power of the remaining players. Doesn't have much plate patience but covers the plate well enough to hit for a decent, if not great, average. A solid outfielder, though his arm limits him to left field.

Best of the rest:
Edgardo Fernandez, George Star, Michael Goodman, Juan Liriano, Pop Cooper, Ben Williams, Amos Carus

I'll be back with the power hitting right fielders in the last pre-draft segment. But first, Mickey Marshall will give a look at the center fielders.

(Look For Big John Whalen's "Power Surge" report on the USBA Web Site once the season kicks off).
Old 05-06-2003, 06:52 PM   #36
GForce22
Banned

USBA CF Prospects

Mickey Marshall Previews The USBA Center Field Prospects
--------------------------------------------------------

"Put me in coach," will be the call of the center field prospect batch in the upcoming USBA draft. A lot of guys seeking a second chance, some even seeking a first chance, to be part of something big. The Bases Loaded league contributes a few more bats to the USBA, with the crop as a whole looking strong.

1) Alan Cohen: A total package aside from a brittle injury history, the left-handed batter runs well, gets outstanding jumps in the field, and is a flat out hitter with great patience. Possible .300, 20 homer, 25 steal player and gold glove candidate. Bothered by perpetual hamstring problems throughout his semipro career, the injury fear is the only thing that would keep Cohen from being the top centerfielder chosen.

2) Eddie Croix: The first of the Bases Loaded center field contingent, Croix can match Cohen at the plate but not with the glove. If the injury fear keeps a team from taking Cohen, Croix is the next logical choice.

3) Bobby Rayburn: Returns to the field after retiring following a frightening incident with an obsessed fan. Rayburn brings some power and great speed and defense to the table, as well as an above average arm. Not sure of the average he'll hit for, but it should be at least respectable. If it's a .350-.370 clip, he should steal 40 bags.

4) Rob Williams: Runs like the wind and could be a league leader in steals if he can hit enough. Has a bit of pop but very streaky, and tightly wound emotionally. Will run through walls for his team, but is hard on himself and on teammates who fail. Would be best served on a team with true veteran leadership...not something a startup league has in abundance. Put him on the field with a guy like Mike Paste who has some recognition, and he may find his role, be quiet and play his game. Potential to be a very disruptive force at the top of the order.

5) Joe Forand: Could be higher on this list, just lacks the complete upside of Rayburn and Williams. Has some power, very good speed, and excellent range with an average arm. It's not a stretch to say he could be a better player than Rayburn or Williams when things actually get rolling.

6) Spencer Hamilton: Doubles power with good range and speed, hurt by a poor arm and questionable contact skills. A former minor leaguer with the Twins, Hamilton needs to generate some loft on his swing to turn his doubles into home runs. If he does, 20+ is not out of the question.

7) Jose Mateo: From the Hardball Baseball Association, Mateo posesses the best arm among the center fielders. Blessed with solid raw power, not a great hitter but has very good patience at the plate. Range is adequate, though he may move to RF at some point.

8) Emil Yorky: Another Bases Loaded players, Yorky is an extra base machine with very good range but a poor arm. He strikes out a ton, which combine with his arm to drop his ranking here. Could very well outplay my evaluation.

9) Willie Mays Hayes: The fastest player in the league, could put up some ungodly stolen base numbers if he can maintain his patience. A stellar center fielder as well, Hayes lacks the power of other prospects on this list. That said, he's more of your typical centerfielder tools wise, which isn't a bad thing. A team that can get good power from elsewhere and have Hayes at the top will score lots of runs.

10) Rafael Torres: A tough call because of his high strikeout total and lack of plate discipline, Torres makes the list because of true light-tower power. He could conceivably move to right field. Has the power to hit 50+, but likely won't make enough contact to do so. Doesn't measure up to others defensively, but he won't embarrass himself.

Best of the Rest: Joe David West, Billy Young,
Bill Eagle, Max Princo, Jason Goldner, Todd Sambor,
John Flynn, Derek McCall

Big John will be up with the final positional preview next with the right fielders.

(Look for Mickey Marshall's "The Book On..." segment on the USBA Web Site after Opening Day)
Old 05-06-2003, 09:50 PM   #37
GForce22
Banned

USBA Right Field Prospects

Big John Whalen Reviews The Right Field Prospects
------------------------------------------------

I've cracked my knuckles and prepared to write paragraph after paragraph on the mashers that will occupy the right field slots for the teams of the USBA. This includes my pick for league MVP, though there will have to be a second once the draft is concluded. I preface this article by saying I think we have a truckload of talent here, not just in the right field section, but throughout the USBA. We have great owners in great cities looking for great baseball. I for one am anxious as hell to see it unfold and I hope you are too.

On to the right field prospects:

1) Roy Hobbs: My pick for the best player in the league, Hobbs' journey is a fascinating one. The top prospect in the nation out of high school, Hobbs was shot by a woman in a hotel room on his way to the Cape Cod League. Hobbs didn't play again for years until surfacing with the independent New York Knights a couple of years ago. Hobbs put on a hitting clinic during his independent stint, and came to the USBA tryouts determined to make a name for himself. Believe me when I say he will. Showing tremendous power from the left side, Hobbs is an all-around stud, lacking only speed. he has a cannon for an arm in right field, good plate discipline, and an outstanding glove. If Hobbs isn't the first pick in this draft I will be absolutely stunned.

2) Pedro Cerrano: Remember the old days when baseball had guys who were true characters? Well this guy is like that. Practices voodoo, carries a little doll with him and puts golf club warmers on his bat. May be a freak but can hit the ball a mile. Lacks Hobbs' discipline at the plate, but has the same type of raw power. Hobbs' power comes from a natural great swing, while Cerrano's comes from a muscular build. Intimidating looking guy, shows a great arm in right field and is an outstanding teammate. If someone teaches this guy plate discipline, he'll be deadly.

3) Jerry Schlenker: A total player offensive player, will hit for good average with 25+ homer power and speed. Arm's a wet noodle, which could deter some teams, but offensively he is above average in all aspects.

4) Max DuBois: Gotta love a guy nicknamed "The Hammer"..this guy is a more powerful version of the real hammer, John Milner. DuBois has better patience, but matches Milner's strength, but with more lift on his swing. Surly guy with a cannon for an arm, another old school player. Comes, plays hard, gets nasty. We like it!

5) George Oko: What? Number 5 before a Bases Loaded League guy? This is crazy? OK, Oko slips because, surprising for BL players, he doesn't just mash. More of a line drive guy with some power who can run, the lefty also posesses a very good arm and solid glovework. I think my infatuation with the BL guys may have overtaken my power bias here.

6) Anthony Destefano: An extra-base hitting machine, DeStafano has good power from the right side, a great arm, and hustles out of the box, thinking double on any ball out of the infield. Viewed by some in the semipro circle as being overly stats conscious. Sometimes lazy in the field, but an offensive force. That's more like it.

7) Joe Hardy: Questions about what kind of average he'll hit for, but he has good power, some speed, lacks the patience you would like to see from a good hitter. Above average range in right field as well. Former Yankee minor leaguer.

8) Mickey Hart: Former Tigers prospect, gets this spot based on raw power potential. Needs coaching but can really get a hold of one. Played with pitching prospect Billy Chapel.

9) Randy Williams: Interesting case. Big, burly guy, not sure if he'll get around on good fastballs. But a powerful guy who could surprise. Upside is 35+ homers. Downside is big guy eating sunflower seeds on the bench. Good arm but no range.

10) Juan Primo: Tough call here, but Primo has the best power potential, and thus gets my nod. Great range as well, though his arm is adequate at best. Played next to CF Bobby Rayburn in the minors.

Best of the rest: Juan DeSoto, William Mayfield, Homer J. Simpson,
Al Bundy, Donnie Russo, Ranch Wilder, John Bolton, Ben Warner

Tomorrow, we'll cover the draft drawing when we find out where each team is slotted, and will hopefully interview several GMs and managers.

Old 05-06-2003, 10:52 PM   #38
doubles
Major Leagues

Looking great GForce!

Just wondering, with guys from movies, like Jake Taylor, Pedro Cerrano, are you changing their stats and ages to be like their movie counterparts, or just picking players at that position and changing names?

Thanks and keep up the great reads.
doubles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 11:23 PM   #39
GForce22
Banned

I'm trying to model stats to be similar, but I'm probably going to make everyone at least a bit younger (like Taylor will be 32 instead of 37 or so).

GH
Old 05-07-2003, 08:53 AM   #40
NYJuggalo45
Hall Of Famer

come on now, how can Homer and Al Bundy not make the top 10 RFers? BOO HISS BOO!