Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
Tony820
Minors (Double A)

Vlad will be a free agent, rightt?

Found something interesting. Looks like in my save the Blue Jays extended Vlad Jr. but gave him a player opt out after the 2023 season (which I'm currently in)

He is having a great season, so I would expect him to opt out. The question, he'll have less than 6 years service time collected. If/when he opts out, will he be a straight free agent right? Will the game force him into a last year of arbitration?
Attached Images
Tony820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:50 AM   #2
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

He would opt out into arbitration in that case
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:04 PM   #3
Tony820
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
He would opt out into arbitration in that case
Interesting, thanks Matt.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
LegalEagle80
Minors (Double A)

I don't think it should work that way though. In real life, almost certainly the player would sign a long-term deal only if it allowed them to bypass the arbitration process. Otherwise there's no real reason for an opt-out if they were still under team control.
LegalEagle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:08 PM   #5
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle80 View Post
I don't think it should work that way though. In real life, almost certainly the player would sign a long-term deal only if it allowed them to bypass the arbitration process. Otherwise there's no real reason for an opt-out if they were still under team control.
It has to be written into the deal that way. I think Abreu had an opt out of his deal where he could opt into arbitration salaries instead of the fixed amount he had agreed to? But then I remember someone else recently (Puig, maybe?) whose opt out was directly to free agency because they specifically had that set in the deal.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:13 PM   #6
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle80 View Post
Puig had a similar, but not exact situation.
His original deal ended one year before his arbitration did.

I think this is a fine deal for Guerrero.
He guaranteed himself millions of dollars instead of going year to year. He can still opt out and test free agency and might make more through arbitration than what he signed for. Which seems like the most likely outcome.

The team, who knows he's likely to opt-out puts the opt out a year earlier as a small attempt to keep him from opting out because he has to play that year before hitting free agency.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:19 PM   #7
thklein
Major Leagues

I'm not sure why the team would agree to this deal. They get no additional years of control, and they locked themselves in if things went badly. They would have been better off just waiting until the offseason before his last arbitration season and then try to negotiate a deal. I'm literally not seeing an upside to this deal for the team.
thklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:51 PM   #8
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

I actually do like the deal. Blue Jays lock themselves into salaries when he could be getting pretty expensive in arbitration without the deal and Vlad sets himself up for a big FA payday if he opts out (yes he'll opt-out into one more year of arbitration, but the Jays could extend him again if they wanted to). It's probably not the way the game thinks about it, but I still like it when you think about it this way.

Also Tanaka had similar language to Puig in that if he opted out, he would become a free agent instead of going to arbitration. That's generally how it works with Cuban/Japanese players coming into the league right away, as they get big FA dollars right away without going through arbitration.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:05 PM   #9
CBeisbol
Banned

Puig did not have that

Puig had the option to opt INTO arbitration for 2017 and 2018. But chose not to. Then when that contract ended he still had a year of arbitration (2019 with the Reds) before free agency in 2020.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:23 PM   #10
Tony820
Minors (Double A)

Shockingly, Vlad had a great 2023 season and decided to OPT-IN to the deal. Guess that loyalty rating really means something.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:22 PM   #11
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony820 View Post
Shockingly, Vlad had a great 2023 season and decided to OPT-IN to the deal. Guess that loyalty rating really means something.
Or something is broken in the game
Old 04-13-2020, 12:21 PM   #12
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

It's the equivalent of him signing a 4 year/64M deal at that point. Maybe he likes the security of the deal.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:45 PM   #13
Tony820
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
It's the equivalent of him signing a 4 year/64M deal at that point. Maybe he likes the security of the deal.
After getting your message that he would go to arb, I traded for him. We ended up going to the World Series and he had a great season. He has a high loyalty rating, I took it as he liked being here, wanted to stick around.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:35 PM   #14
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Which player attribute reflects "[liking] security".
Old 04-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #15
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Which player attribute reflects "[liking] security".
All the factors play in, but I would guess higher loyalty and lower greed, for starters, would make sense.