Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

MLB looking to start everyone's season in Arizona in May

Details
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I will repeat what I said in the other thread: Even though MLB and the player's union have agreed to start baseball in May, that does not mean every player agrees as well. The financial and peer pressure is now on each player to comply, whether he feels safe or not. That is not right.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #3
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Heh, in that thread, aj talked about "spitting, sweating, and the occasional bit of contact that goes on" as ways the virus could be inadvertently passed along despite precautions.

I don't know about sweating and contact, but I sure hope that this situation cuts down on the constant SPITTING that you see baseball players indulging in. I have never understood the need for that. What is it, a group habit? A right of passage? It's disgusting!

- Bru

Old 04-07-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

May doesn't necessarily mean May 1st. It could be Memorial Day. Everyone, by necessity, is playing this thing by ear. We don't know what next week will bring and don't know the world's circumstances in 6-8 weeks. So I see no harm in exploring the possibility while not etching things in stone. I just hope everyone keeps in mind that while staying out too long causes economic hardship for baseball, coming back too early prolongs everyone's economic hardship. Don't rush this.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 04-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #5
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. I am a big baseball fan and I am just as disappointed as the next guy that the season is in flux, but this is just ridiculous.
This is to help get our minds off the virus and on to our beloved baseball. I dont think that's really going to work given the circumstances. No fans, different stadiums, players sitting in the stands, etc. IMO, it's just a reminder of the virus.
Kinda like "Hey, baseball's back! Dont pay attention to the stands having the players there instead of fans. And pay no mind to it being May/June while we play in a spring training site. Baseball's back!"
I dont mean to come off know-it-all or obnoxious, but I seriously would rather see the season just flat canceled instead of this.
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:47 PM   #6
CBeisbol
Banned

Oh another thread on this topic.

Anyway, this Deadspin article is right
https://deadspin.com/mlb-following-s...mpression=true
Quote:
Under this plan, MLB would operate out of the Diamondbacks’ home park, the 10 Phoenix-area spring training facilities, and “perhaps other nearby fields,” while “players, coaching staffs, and other essential personnel would be sequestered at local hotels, where they would live in relative isolation and travel only to and from the stadium.”

Did you spot the squishy pile of bull**** where this whole thing falls apart? That’s right, it’s “other essential personnel” and “relative isolation.”
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:02 PM   #7
Skipaway
Hall Of Famer

It's prison baseball.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #8
Skipaway
Hall Of Famer

I think it's the quick tests that's giving the professional teams hope.

They can try their best for isolation, but it can't be guaranteed. So they have to rely on rapid and often testing. Right now, the reliability of the rapid tests haven't been established yet. Some early Spanish data for rapid tests showed accuracy of 30%. There are so many different tests out there right now, with FDA approving so many. Most of them have no reliability data.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

If you want to make $30m, you can also make a sacrifice or two.

I just doubt MLB's ability to keep intruders out as well as they think they can.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:17 PM   #10
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
If you want to make $30m, you can also make a sacrifice or two.
Who's making $30 million?

Not the vast majority of the players
Not any of the food workers, janitors, hotel staff, clubhouse workers, etc...
Owners are making more, but not assuming any additional risk

So, who are you talking about?
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:26 PM   #11
Skipaway
Hall Of Famer

A reference point of rapid flu tests, which utilizes the same mechanism for rapid coronavirus tests:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/c...pid-flu-tests/

Quote:
The main advantage of RIDTs is their speed—they produce a result in less than 30 minutes. But they sometimes deliver poor results. “You need a lot of flu to be there, and if there’s not enough, you’ll get a negative result,” says Neil Anderson, who studies infectious diseases at the Washington University School of Medicine in St Louis, Missouri. Children tend to shed a lot of virus particles, he adds, but some adults do not produce enough to give a positive test result even if they have severe symptoms.

False-negative results are therefore a big problem. In one clinical study1 involving 600 people, 77% of those with influenza initially received an incorrect negative result from a RIDT. Newer RIDTs have been developed to address such accuracy issues but several researchers say that even these are still not sensitive enough to be reliable. Another type of quick influenza test known as an immunofluorescence assay has similar reliability problems.
People haven't figured out reliable rapid flu tests yet, and flu has been with us forever. I don't think the rapid coronavirus test can do what the professional leagues are hoping for.

I think they'll have better luck finding a resort in an isolated location, like on a small island or some remote area, and effectively lock everybody there. Build some fields around it. Start the season after everybody is there locked in for a month. This idea is probably much easier for NBA than for MLB.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #12
thehef
Hall Of Famer

The only way this works/happens - sort of a prediction I suppose - is that if restrictions throughout the country have been eased significantly and people in general feel safer, and then whatever precautions MLB sets up (isolating, etc.) are more-restrictive than the ones in the general public; thus, players comfortable and critics few and far between. Whether May is a realistic possibility - who knows??? The other way around - semi-isolation for the MLB while the rest of the country is still essentially on lockdown and very concerned about virus - ain't gonna happen. Players won't go for it... I predict, anyway...

That said, I see no harm in MLB sketching out plans for it, and OOTP forum members jaw-boning about it.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:28 PM   #13
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I tell you one thing: If some network lamebrain gets the idea of playing canned crowd noise during the games, the old telly is getting turned off fast. It's bad enough with sitcoms but with those, you choose to wallow in dumbness because it's fun, I suppose. Background noise is not going to work if they insult viewers intelligence with phony crowd roars and chants.

Picture the silence, though. You are going to be able to hear a lot that you don't hear now. The censors better be quick with the bleep button.

- Bru

Old 04-07-2020, 07:32 PM   #14
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post

Picture the silence, though. You are going to be able to hear a lot that you don't hear now. The censors better be quick with the bleep button.
You can hear the same @ a Tampa or Miami home game.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 04-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #15
low
Hall Of Famer

Nope. Be smart and shut it down. It isn't worth it.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:43 PM   #16
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipaway View Post
I think they'll have better luck finding a resort in an isolated location, like on a small island . . .
Say, I can see tie-ins with shows like Fantasy Island and Survivor!

-------------------------------------------

"The plane! The plane, Boss!"

"Yes, Tattoo, those are the Seattle Mariners arriving."

-------------------------------------------

"The Tribal Council has voted your last pitcher off the island. The tribe has spoken and it's time for him to go. As a result, you no longer can field a complete team. If you cannot persuade a free agent to join you, the remaining games on your schedule will be forfeited and the rest of your team will be banished! Remember, baseball represents life in this game."

- Bru

Old 04-07-2020, 07:45 PM   #17
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
You can hear the same @ a Tampa or Miami home game.
LOL, good point! And far funnier than my feeble attempt at humor above. Say, do you think they pipe in crowd noise at those ballparks?

- Bru

Old 04-08-2020, 07:40 AM   #18
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

How would they handle injuries and needing to call up players to fill those open spots?
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:51 AM   #19
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Seems to me any player is able not to report and many will. Also, this is about money, not the good of the country. There is an assumption TV will pay to broadcast these games. Will it?

It only works if there are advertisers. Advertising has already dropped. Places that aren't open aren't advertising and those that are open are essential and don't have to advertise.

Baseball has its hands on a bad idea. It might come down to that the only thing that will loosen its grip on that bad idea is not being able to make money. It would be a shame if its judgement was so poor it got to that point.

Anyway, as I posted elsewhere, no containment circle is perfect and by extension the bigger they are the more porous they are. If somehow this gets to the point of playing games, someone is likely to get sick and at that point everything shuts down same day.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:53 AM   #20
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
LOL, good point! And far funnier than my feeble attempt at humor above. Say, do you think they pipe in crowd noise at those ballparks?
They could borrow OOTP crowd noise file!!!

Last edited by Brad K; 04-08-2020 at 07:54 AM.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote