Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:18 AM   #1
qcbandits
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
Yesterdays Teleconference

So now that President Trump has brought all the US sports leaders together to work on ways to bring sports back to Americans as a diversion from the doom and gloom of Coronavirus,

What does everyone think will happen? No political BS this time... let's keep the discussion on sports!

Do you think there is a way to bring sports back by summer? Do you think any league will give consideration to Scott Boras's quarantine sports idea?
Well, except for Ice Cube's Big3 basketball bc they seem dead set to do quarantined basketball meets Big Brother here in a month or so.

I truly believe if there is a way to safely protect the athletes and play the games, that most Americans would welcome sports back in a heartbeat as way to allow the country to take the focus off COVID-19 for a couple hours at a time here and there and just remember what normal is, even if it means no fans at games and players quarantined for their safety.

Last edited by qcbandits; 04-05-2020 at 09:20 AM.
qcbandits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:24 AM   #2
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

I heard yesterday that MLB is thinking about starting the season but in centralized locations (like Spring Training sites) and could play games without fans and just allow the TV broadcast and media in but space them out. This would make the most sense if they feel that the season should start. The only thing I wonder is how would they play out minor league games (if at all).

As for the NBA/NHL, they could also do the same and have games played in empty arenas, but the issue there is travel, but they would have to figure out a way to safely travel between cities, unless they have a central location to play out the games.

I think sports would be a welcome addition to help people feel some sense of normalcy and something on TV to watch other than Netflix, Hulu, etc...But the question I have, is the risk really worth it at this point?
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #3
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodevil View Post
I heard yesterday that MLB is thinking about starting the season but in centralized locations (like Spring Training sites) and could play games without fans and just allow the TV broadcast and media in but space them out. This would make the most sense if they feel that the season should start. The only thing I wonder is how would they play out minor league games (if at all).

As for the NBA/NHL, they could also do the same and have games played in empty arenas, but the issue there is travel, but they would have to figure out a way to safely travel between cities, unless they have a central location to play out the games.

I think sports would be a welcome addition to help people feel some sense of normalcy and something on TV to watch other than Netflix, Hulu, etc...But the question I have, is the risk really worth it at this point?
That is what they have to figure out. I think if any sport tries something, its gotta be at least a 6 week process. 3 weeks of quarantine and 3 weeks to ramp up to game readiness
Old 04-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
pilight
All Star Starter

The WNBA is reportedly considering something similar to Boras' idea. They would have all 12 teams at one hotel with an arena, like Mohegan or MGM, and play all the games at that location without fans.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:01 PM   #5
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbandits View Post
That is what they have to figure out. I think if any sport tries something, its gotta be at least a 6 week process. 3 weeks of quarantine and 3 weeks to ramp up to game readiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
The WNBA is reportedly considering something similar to Boras' idea. They would have all 12 teams at one hotel with an arena, like Mohegan or MGM, and play all the games at that location without fans.
There has to be a way to do this because I would indeed tune in WNBA "in a heartbeat" (I would normally watch them occasionally anyway, but now . . .) There would need to be strict regulation and discipline that the various players unions would need to agree to; there could be NO excuses, NO exceptions, and NO slip-ups as to the quarantining. Given that, I see this as working; no fans, but the TV viewership would be off the charts.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #6
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
So now that President Trump has brought all the US sports leaders together to work on ways to bring sports back to Americans as a diversion from the doom and gloom of Coronavirus,
This is a way to put money in rich people's pockets.

Tax payer money will be used to ensure that rich people quit bleeding money and their sports remain viable.

Sports shouldn't come back until it can be done safely. Using thousands of tests and pieces of PPE per day that could be better used to keep the pockets of rich people full is utterly...I don't know an appropriatly strong word that I can use on this site to go here.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #7
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I think there are much more important things to worry about than sports right now.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #8
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Sports shouldn't come back until it can be done safely. Using thousands of tests and pieces of PPE per day that could be better used to keep the pockets of rich people full is utterly...I don't know an appropriatly strong word that I can use on this site to go here.
Like him or not he's spot on with this, not forgetting emergency workers who would have to be at these games, hospital beds that could be taken up if an outbreak happened. Test or no test if someone tested positive say four games into the season they could have infected not only their own team but an oppositions team, maybe two or three teams before a positive test comes back. Also will insurance companies cover these games, after all no matter if there's a crowd or not players will be going against all health guidelines.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:09 PM   #9
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
Like him or not he's spot on with this, not forgetting emergency workers who would have to be at these games, hospital beds that could be taken up if an outbreak happened. Test or no test if someone tested positive say four games into the season they could have infected not only their own team but an oppositions team, maybe two or three teams before a positive test comes back. Also will insurance companies cover these games, after all no matter if there's a crowd or not players will be going against all health guidelines.
https://lifestyle.clickhole.com/hear...-gr-1825121606
Attached Images
Old 04-05-2020, 01:20 PM   #10
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
There has to be a way to do this because I would indeed tune in WNBA "in a heartbeat" (I would normally watch them occasionally anyway, but now . . .) There would need to be strict regulation and discipline that the various players unions would need to agree to; there could be NO excuses, NO exceptions, and NO slip-ups as to the quarantining. Given that, I see this as working; no fans, but the TV viewership would be off the charts.
agree, the ratings would be totally off the chart
Old 04-05-2020, 01:23 PM   #11
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
if the Boras idea is the means to go forward, i don't see how an outbreak could happen as long as the virus doesn't mutate into something that its yet to have become. The players aren't going to just show up tomorrow and play... they will be quarantined separately for weeks before coming to together to ramp up to being ready to play games. They aren't breaking quarantine to go home after the games, they would in fact have zero contact with the outside world until it was deemed safe to do so.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #12
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
I think there are much more important things to worry about than sports right now.
It could be good for the nation to have something more normal to hold onto during these trying times
Old 04-05-2020, 01:29 PM   #13
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
if the Boras idea is the means to go forward, i don't see how an outbreak could happen as long as the virus doesn't mutate into something that its yet to have become. The players aren't going to just show up tomorrow and play... they will be quarantined separately for weeks before coming to together to ramp up to being ready to play games. They aren't breaking quarantine to go home after the games, they would in fact have zero contact with the outside world until it was deemed safe to do so.
Everyone!!! Involved with the sport would have to do the same. Umpires, bat persons, ball persons, grounds keepers, camera crew, broadcasters, security personel...

Last edited by CBeisbol; 04-05-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:45 PM   #14
qcbandits
Banned

I've been reading as much as I can throughout the internet about the Boras proposal and it seems doable for the most part. Since they would have to quarantine more than just the active rosters, essentially reserve rosters since it would not be likely for there to be actual minor league games. Some of these reserve roster guys that are minor leaguers who don't make major league money would be paid to double as camera operators and groundskeeping staff. Without fans, you don't all the stadium personnel to clean up after fans, serve fans or be security. There was no mention of who would serve as locker room staff, but easily assumed that the rookies would probably take on laundry duties as well, or have a clubhouse attendant in the quarantine as well for things like the cleanup and repairing jerseys. There is no need for announcers on site. they can watch it via tv and do their job almost as perfectly well.
and after a 3 week quarantine with zero baseball activities, there would not be a need for daily testing or PPE equipment to be diverted from the frontlines. The one real risk is if the virus mutates into an airborne version. but honestly, if that happens, we're screwed on containing this virus until it kills its targeted audience anyway. We've yet to see a professional athlete who has shared a positive COVID-19 test need to be hospitalized. They have all self quarantined and recovered. Why is this? Probably bc to be a professional athlete you have to be pretty healthy, so they don't have the underlying medical issues to warrant hospitalization. So, with the right procedures in place, the Boras plan could actually work.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:54 PM   #15
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Everyone entering the stadium/arena would have to be tested and quarantined, everything entering the stadium would have to be cleaned. Call it crazy but every stadium/arena would have to be deep cleaned before and after every game were the players come in contact bullpen, dugout as examples.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:00 PM   #16
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Everyone entering the stadium/arena would have to be tested and quarantined, everything entering the stadium would have to be cleaned. Call it crazy but every stadium/arena would have to be deep cleaned before and after every game were the players come in contact bullpen, dugout as examples.
they would not be playing in MLB stadiums, these would happen at spring training sites with temporary housing set up and a yet to be determined number of teams at each site so that you could play out say a month's games before ever needing to switch sites.

Very likely each division would be housed together and the league would start by playing division games only since the odds of us seeing a 162 game season is very unlikely

Last edited by qcbandits; 04-05-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:03 PM   #17
qcbandits
Banned

So it would be something like the players enter, have 3 weeks of self quarantine. Then 3 weeks of workouts. Then play a month's schedule at that single location, and then the league would evaluate at the end of that basically 90 days what to do next.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:04 PM   #18
CBeisbol
Banned

Everyone involved in feeding the players would have to be quarantined, as well.

So dumb that we're talking about how to make a sterile environment for sports while doctors in the ICU cant get the PPE they need

Once we get this set up, turn the stadiums into hosptials, IMO

Last edited by CBeisbol; 04-05-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:06 PM   #19
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We've yet to see a professional athlete who has shared a positive COVID-19 test need to be hospitalized. They have all self quarantined and recovered. Why is this? Probably bc to be a professional athlete you have to be pretty healthy, so they don't have the underlying medical issues to warrant hospitalization. So, with the right procedures in place, the Boras plan could actually work.
Not true.

/Brazilian-footballer-hospitalised-with-coronavirus-in-China/1102-5495548-view-asAMP-crl5or/index.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ind...-39065277.html

https://www.offtheball.com/sport/sco...ecovery-983818

https://www.tnp.sg/sports/football/f...virus-symptoms
Old 04-05-2020, 02:07 PM   #20
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Not true.

/Brazilian-footballer-hospitalised-with-coronavirus-in-China/1102-5495548-view-asAMP-crl5or/index.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ind...-39065277.html

https://www.offtheball.com/sport/sco...ecovery-983818

https://www.tnp.sg/sports/football/f...virus-symptoms
Ok, let me rephrase, there has not been an example of it happening in the US
I have never followed soccer so this was not in my quick research, but again, hasn't happened in the US as of yet. The NBA players self quarantined and recovered, hell Rudy Goebert was going to play that night when he tested positive, so obviously he was not that ill

Last edited by qcbandits; 04-05-2020 at 02:11 PM.