Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:41 AM   #1
johnwlits
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Lucas Giolito constantly injured within first two innings

Is anyone else experiencing this? I've started three or four new White Sox franchises, and this doesn't even appear to be randomized. Giolito is constantly getting knocked out of these games right at the start, regardless of whether I hire a $500,000-per-year trainer with very high arm injury prevention ratings. What's the deal? I'm at the point now where I'm just going to the task manager and rage quitting the game because it's getting old seeing this over and over again.

I get that players get hurt...I get that good players have bad games...but this is starting to feel like some BS.

Sorry to come here to rant, but it's cathartic, and I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this.
johnwlits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:44 AM   #2
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Haven't noticed. But it's your game play it how you want. You don't want his injury just edit it off of him.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:46 AM   #3
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Giolito is very injury prone in OOTP. He's got it worse than anyone I can think of besides Darvish.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:48 AM   #4
johnwlits
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
Giolito is very injury prone in OOTP. He's got it worse than anyone I can think of besides Darvish.
This makes me feel vaguely more sane.
johnwlits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Giolito was forced to retire because of an injury in my save. Had 2 TJS in less than 5 years or something like that. Was a 6 WAR pitcher at his peak, but now retired before age 30 iirc
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #6
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

I feel compelled to point out the following excerpt from a post on the Sox Machine White Sox fan site entitled, "So, how are we getting by?" (bold added by me for emphasis):

Greg: "And I’ve been managing the 2020 Chicago White Sox in Out of the Park Baseball 21. We’re nearing the end of June, and the Greg Sox are currently 44-31, a 1/2 game behind Cleveland in the AL Central. We ended April 22-9 as Gio Gonzalez won AL Pitcher of the Month, but regression hit hard over the next two months (he now has a 5.73 ERA). I traded for Chris Archer, Keone Kela, and Brandon Kintzler to fortify the pitching staff, which has gotten good work from Reynaldo Lopez and Dallas Keuchel. Unfortunately, Lucas Giolito has made only three starts because of a partially torn labrum 😬. On the bright side, Luis Robert, Yoan Moncada, and Tim Anderson are all crushing it. Can you tell I miss baseball?"

https://www.soxmachine.com/2020/04/0...-we-getting-by

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
Argonaut
All Star Starter

I think there's only 3 things you can do with these injury-prone pitchers.

1) Give them an 80-95 pitch count (20-30 in spring training) and maybe have a 6 man rotation.

2) Trade them away ASAP.

3) Just ride them until their arm falls off.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:11 PM   #8
fuzzy_patters
All Star Starter

Yes, I've had the same problem. At one point, he was knocked out of four successive starts before finishing the second inning with a day-to-day injury.
fuzzy_patters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #9
jacobp
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Giolito just went on the DL for me after two starts in a 2020 replay.
jacobp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:34 AM   #10
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwlits View Post
Is anyone else experiencing this? I've started three or four new White Sox franchises, and this doesn't even appear to be randomized. Giolito is constantly getting knocked out of these games right at the start, regardless of whether I hire a $500,000-per-year trainer with very high arm injury prevention ratings. What's the deal? I'm at the point now where I'm just going to the task manager and rage quitting the game because it's getting old seeing this over and over again.

I get that players get hurt...I get that good players have bad games...but this is starting to feel like some BS.

Sorry to come here to rant, but it's cathartic, and I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this.

I've started 2 White Sox seasons and both have Giolito having arm surgery after 3rd start...lol...There goes hope....lol
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:18 PM   #11
The Yurpman
Major Leagues

I never noticed Giolito was so injury prone. I decided to look at my Red Sox save I have. It's May 8, 2020 in my game. So, like a month into the season. Giolito had a "mild abdominal strain" and was out for 3 days. Then came back and has "shoulder surgery (scar tissue)" as an injury now, out for 3-4 weeks.

He's made it through three games! Only 8.2 innings total, though, since he got injured his last two starts...
The Yurpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #12
backupbatboy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I traded for Giolito in the offseason between '20 and '21, gave up a mint for him. He made it 14 starts (with Cy Young worthy numbers) before suffering a 13 month injury. So late in the next season, after rehab and low pitch counts, his overall is down to 70 (100% accuracy), and he makes it 4 starts before a 5 month injury. I traded him for a couple mediocre prospects at that point.
backupbatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:00 PM   #13
TomVeal
All Star Starter

"Under the hood", Giolito has 180 out of 200 proneness to arm injuries. I wonder whether that's a typo.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:14 PM   #14
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwlits View Post
Is anyone else experiencing this? I've started three or four new White Sox franchises, and this doesn't even appear to be randomized. Giolito is constantly getting knocked out of these games right at the start,
Seems, like its fine to me.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:14 PM   #15
itsmb8
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVeal View Post
"Under the hood", Giolito has 180 out of 200 proneness to arm injuries. I wonder whether that's a typo.
that has to be a typo. AFAIK he has been that fragile aside from a 10-day DL stint thanks to a lat injury at the end of last season.

EDIT: Yeah, he's only 25, no major injuries, other injury ratings are all under 100... Probably should be 80 instead of 180.

Last edited by itsmb8; 04-06-2020 at 06:18 PM.
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:16 PM   #16
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Again edit him. It's your universe. Only way to fix the wrongs.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:18 PM   #17
steamrollers
Minors (Single A)

It's clearly got to be a mistake on release. Like just about everyone else Giolito is injured in my league. In the first season he was dominating and I was looking into a massive trade to try to get another very young ace pitcher to pair with Flaherty. I just couldn't pull the trigger since they wanted so much, about a month later on the calendar he blew out his arm and missed over a year. Now he is "fragile" and looks nothing like he did before.
steamrollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:31 PM   #18
Argonaut
All Star Starter

I think it's a carryover from OOTP20 because he was quite injury prone there too.

Giolito did have Tommy John surgery as a high schooler so he may be higher risk than the average pitcher. But he's probably not worth 180/200 susceptibility. That's a one way ticket to Wrecked status.

Maybe worth a post in the bug forum.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:51 PM   #19
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8 View Post
that has to be a typo. AFAIK he has been that fragile aside from a 10-day DL stint thanks to a lat injury at the end of last season.

EDIT: Yeah, he's only 25, no major injuries, other injury ratings are all under 100... Probably should be 80 instead of 180.
FWIW I looked at his history in the database and he has had that 180/200 rating since 2015.....I am not sure if that is intentional because he has had Tommy John in High School, but he has been that injury prone for 5 versions of the game. I will mention it and see if this warrants another look (I don't handle the MLB rosters). For now, just edit him in your games.
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:30 AM   #20
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodevil View Post
FWIW I looked at his history in the database and he has had that 180/200 rating since 2015.....I am not sure if that is intentional because he has had Tommy John in High School, but he has been that injury prone for 5 versions of the game. I will mention it and see if this warrants another look (I don't handle the MLB rosters). For now, just edit him in your games.
I lowered/fixed it now.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote