Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
MightyVotto
Minors (Double A)

New Scouting System: Confusing and Way Too Complicated

I'm not a fan of the new scouting system. It's a micro-managing nightmare. I've been trying to give it a chance during my first sim, but I finally reached a tipping point with it in my first GM sim.

I just reached the June draft for the first time. When the draft pool was initially announced, I had my scout complete reports on everyone in the pool. Right after completing the reports, the accuracy on the top prospects was "Very High". By the time the draft rolled around just a few weeks later, that accuracy has dropped to "Average". The accuracy shouldn't drop this much in such a short time. Are we supposed to keep clicking "Request Scouting Report" over and over again until the draft to make sure accuracy is as high as possible. That's ridiculous.

Also, it isn't clear just what this accuracy rating really means. It seems very unnecessary. Scout assignments should be more broad. In reality, I thought they generally have regions with cross-checkers who provide a 2nd opinion. The head scout should be able to deal with these assignments himself. The GM could make special requests but wouldn't micro-manage the scouting director so much. This is one of the few times you've taken a system that wasn't great to begin with and made it worse IMHO.

I'm considering setting future sims to 100% accurate and getting rid of this unnecessary confusion. I'll stick with it for a little longer to see if it gets better. I've often felt like a "fog-of-war" element is unnecessary in this game. The ratings themselves are only projections and don't necessarily mean the players will perform as their ratings say they will. Also, with the development system, ratings change unexpectedly creating a "fog-of-war" aspect all its own. The scout piece has always felt unnecessary to me.
MightyVotto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:39 AM   #2
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

What you are describing is all very realistic...not sure what the issue is?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:18 PM   #3
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

A few weeks later or a month later?

You also don’t have to manage scouting assignments. The scout will scout on his own. If you want amateurs to be a priority then put most of your scouting budget there.

Good thing is if you feel like scouting is unnecessary, there is an option to make every accurate or you can even turn it off completely.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 03-31-2020 at 12:20 PM.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:32 PM   #4
TheBrewCrew
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
What you are describing is all very realistic...not sure what the issue is?

I get what you are saying but there is nothing realistic about a scouting report going from Very High a week before the draft and it dropping within that time period.

The accuracy of a report should not drop the week before a draft if you requested it 2 weeks before. I don't see the realism in that aspect at all.
TheBrewCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:37 PM   #5
qcbandits
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrewCrew View Post
I get what you are saying but there is nothing realistic about a scouting report going from Very High a week before the draft and it dropping within that time period.

The accuracy of a report should not drop the week before a draft if you requested it 2 weeks before. I don't see the realism in that aspect at all.
Never read the draft reports on Baseball america have you? Teams have their opinions change all the time in the leadup to the draft. Especially for college players where the level of competition is more easily judged. For HS'ers their draft status can change even more randomly tho. Since the competition level is harder to judge, when they get into their state playoffs and are playing better teams, a bad game or two and they can easily slide in the draft.
qcbandits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:40 PM   #6
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyVotto View Post
I'm not a fan of the new scouting system. It's a micro-managing nightmare. I've been trying to give it a chance during my first sim, but I finally reached a tipping point with it in my first GM sim.

I just reached the June draft for the first time. When the draft pool was initially announced, I had my scout complete reports on everyone in the pool. Right after completing the reports, the accuracy on the top prospects was "Very High". By the time the draft rolled around just a few weeks later, that accuracy has dropped to "Average". The accuracy shouldn't drop this much in such a short time. Are we supposed to keep clicking "Request Scouting Report" over and over again until the draft to make sure accuracy is as high as possible. That's ridiculous.

Also, it isn't clear just what this accuracy rating really means. It seems very unnecessary. Scout assignments should be more broad. In reality, I thought they generally have regions with cross-checkers who provide a 2nd opinion. The head scout should be able to deal with these assignments himself. The GM could make special requests but wouldn't micro-manage the scouting director so much. This is one of the few times you've taken a system that wasn't great to begin with and made it worse IMHO.

I'm considering setting future sims to 100% accurate and getting rid of this unnecessary confusion. I'll stick with it for a little longer to see if it gets better. I've often felt like a "fog-of-war" element is unnecessary in this game. The ratings themselves are only projections and don't necessarily mean the players will perform as their ratings say they will. Also, with the development system, ratings change unexpectedly creating a "fog-of-war" aspect all its own. The scout piece has always felt unnecessary to me.
If you feel this is unrealistic, consider reading the draft updates on Baseball america in the run up to a normal draft. a bad game or two can have considerable damage to a player's draft status. That's what the game is simulating. Scouting opinions, especially for the draft are highly volatile. So, after a week or so, you are taking risks using an old scouting report.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
ThePride87
Minors (Single A)

It's actually caused me to micro-manage less now that I understand how seriously to take certain reports....something I welcome. I get the feeling this was always in the game to some extent....often I'd trade for a prospect I thought was a stud, but find out on 100% settings he was actually an average potential player. Now I don't waste countless hours fishing for prospect trades....if a team wants to trade, I'll gladly scout their player to get better info if I can. Otherwise, this change has helped me focus more on playing the game, not making 10,000 trades to optimize my roster.

It's info I didn't realize I was asking for, but now that I have it, I'm thankful for it.
ThePride87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:57 PM   #8
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbandits View Post
If you feel this is unrealistic, consider reading the draft updates on Baseball america in the run up to a normal draft. a bad game or two can have considerable damage to a player's draft status. That's what the game is simulating. Scouting opinions, especially for the draft are highly volatile. So, after a week or so, you are taking risks using an old scouting report.
I don't think that's what the OP is talking about. He's talking about the supposed accuracy changing (from very high to average) in the span of a week or two, not the scouting report itself. What you're talking about is a team changing its report on a player, not the perceived accuracy of the report.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrewCrew View Post

College games in that time frame are still going on. Conference tournaments and NCAA during June.

I’m pretty sure real life scouts don’t say “my report is a very high accuracy” but in the game, all it’s saying is the report is not as accurate as it was a week ago.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:16 PM   #10
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
I don't think that's what the OP is talking about. He's talking about the supposed accuracy changing (from very high to average) in the span of a week or two, not the scouting report itself. What you're talking about is a team changing its report on a player, not the perceived accuracy of the report.
That is how the game is handling scouting reports not being current. It's the same idea
Old 03-31-2020, 04:41 PM   #11
Desolate
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Also if you want your Scout to focus on something specific. You can set certain things that you want him to specifically look for in the scout page.
Desolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:56 PM   #12
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

I think it’s unrealistic to expect to get a high accuracy on a prospect with limited games in a season in just a limited time frame...

I like to scout certain prospects as young as HS Fr.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:36 PM   #13
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

I don't think it's confusing, but it's definitely not the gamechanger that I thought it was gonna be. All it makes me do is press "request scouting report" on my players that I'm going to trade before I do it, press it for the players I'm going to receive, and for any free agents I want to sign. I don't feel it's micro managey at all, and I'd like to be even more complicated. Not sure right now what I would change, but it just doesn't feel like it's making the game much harder.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #14
Faaip De Oiad
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolate View Post
Also if you want your Scout to focus on something specific. You can set certain things that you want him to specifically look for in the scout page.
I think we need amateur and international in the dropdown list here. I would also like to see more options for the player types. Like an J2 pitcher with a 60 or above slider.
Faaip De Oiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #15
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
I don't think it's confusing, but it's definitely not the gamechanger that I thought it was gonna be. All it makes me do is press "request scouting report" on my players that I'm going to trade before I do it, press it for the players I'm going to receive, and for any free agents I want to sign. I don't feel it's micro managey at all, and I'd like to be even more complicated. Not sure right now what I would change, but it just doesn't feel like it's making the game much harder.
I don't think the scouting system is what it is. I believe they will make improvements in time. Heck, they may even add features via patch this year. I think the main objective is to make scouting a more interactive process, which I am confident they will achieve.
slugga27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #16
Faaip De Oiad
Minors (Triple A)

Also we need the ability to save the scouting preferences we set up so we do not have to recreate them if we start a new game or take over a new team. This would be a great way to set up an organizational vision of what the GM is looking for.
Faaip De Oiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #17
LegalEagle80
Minors (Double A)

I agree with the sentiment that it's not a gamechanger but I think this is the start of something much better.

I think scouting needs to open up into something broader, but it's hard not to make that a game unto itself. Instead of having what feels like a single scout, it would be neat to have a scouting department, maybe something you can manage by region (maybe the budgets are tied into different regions, maybe you have to schedule scouting trips to certain areas on a calendar basis, that sort of thing) which would affect accuracy.

I like the idea of having more control over scouting but the way it's implemented now seems like micro-management without the payoff of feeling like one's time spent scouting has much of an effect.
LegalEagle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:23 PM   #18
sentry85
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle80 View Post
I agree with the sentiment that it's not a gamechanger but I think this is the start of something much better.

I think scouting needs to open up into something broader, but it's hard not to make that a game unto itself. Instead of having what feels like a single scout, it would be neat to have a scouting department, maybe something you can manage by region (maybe the budgets are tied into different regions, maybe you have to schedule scouting trips to certain areas on a calendar basis, that sort of thing) which would affect accuracy.

I like the idea of having more control over scouting but the way it's implemented now seems like micro-management without the payoff of feeling like one's time spent scouting has much of an effect.

i would like to see added options like scout my minors system, or scout all of AAA, AA etc. scout international amatuers, scout draft pool etc. but i too think this is just a start.
sentry85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:30 PM   #19
LegalEagle80
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry85 View Post
i would like to see added options like scout my minors system, or scout all of AAA, AA etc. scout international amatuers, scout draft pool etc. but i too think this is just a start.
Right. It would be kinda neat to have particularly good, say, Texas scouts, so any amateur players from that state have a much smaller fog-of-war. Or maybe I invest more money into the Dominican Republic so my scouts find more international discoveries there, but ONLY there. Something like that would be an immediate improvement.
LegalEagle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:36 PM   #20
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle80 View Post

A lot of this, particularly scheduling scouting trips to certain areas) was in the game years ago (I'm talking like 10 or more years ago) and was overwhelmingly unpopular with the community at the time. However, the community and the dev team have changed, so perhaps it will be re-visited. When it was in the game, it felt like A LOT of work with little payoff, to the point where it took as much time to manage scouting as it did to play all other aspects of the game. If it were implemented in a way where that's not the case, I could see it being a nice addition.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote