Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > Perfect Team 21
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team 21 Perfect Team 21 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:38 AM   #361
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Both my teams had very good months in June (last month WAS June, right?). After a disaster of a start (my entire lineup was hitting < .200 in the month of April), Annandale went something like 19-6 and Brigadoon was just under that.

I have not been spending much AH money upgrading either team - picked up a Juan Guzman SE for Annandale because it was so cheap. And I completed a collection for Chuck Klein for my DH. Brigadoon scans the AH and will buy the occasional cheap silver. I got a guy who I'd never heard of before I saw him the first time - a killer vs RHP - McCosky.

Speaking of collections - I find them wildly variable as to whether or not they're worthwhile. First off, I look at the rewards and only some of them interest me in the first place - each of my teams has a specific type of player I'm looking for and if the reward doesn't fit, I don't consider the mission. So there are only maybe 6 missions Annandale is thinking about, and only two for Brigadoon. Of those, one or two of them have individual cards so overpriced I'm not bothering with them (as in, it would be cheaper to buy the guy off the AH than try to complete the collection!). Annandale IS currently pursuing a couple, though. But it requires patience.. I like thinking about them as buying the cards on an installment plan. If I can get a guy who costs 5000 by paying maybe 5200 over 3 weeks, then I might do it. The nice thing about buying the cards slowly over time is that you can change your mind and liquidate pretty easily if the AH situation changes.

In other news..... did anyone else notice that the Kansas Rangers had a 40 game winning streak that ended last month? FORTY GAMES.... that's crazy. They did have a terrible June though, as they lost two games (not in a row, over the course of the entire month). Yeah, they're really slumping.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:56 AM   #362
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

point production in Waffletown has been rather dismal (course I might be expecting too much )... been spending most of the past season and a half cross training players so a lot of 'em haven't been playing in their strongest spot... have had zero pack luck with the handful I have won or nabbed from CM mode; so most of my AH browsing has been for those rare bargain basement priced cards that might not be on everyone else's radar yet

my tourney squads have become masters of dropping out of every tournament in the round just before the prizes are handed out.... had been playing mostly bronze without much luck... finally tossed out a squad for a gold tourney yesterday (daily gold)... made it through the usual number of rounds to lose just before the prizes again at least they are consistent. (edit: just made it to the 3rd round of a Gold-32-team tourney.... so expecting to lose to North York Gridlock in about 40+ minutes)

ah well... it's a marathon, not a sprint

Last edited by stl jason; 04-09-2020 at 11:01 AM.
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:16 AM   #363
SPBJT
Minors (Double A)

Whalers in a state of limbo as points are hard to come by. Just picked up 84 Gold SE Ian Kinsler to replace Fontenot at 2b.

Biggio (C) and Crisp (CF) are my only bronze starters in the lineup batting 8/9. I like Coco's 107DEF in CF. 2nd in league in HR thanks to Cecil, B.Robinson, and Jay Bell.

Pitching: Scherzer has been underwhelming so far. Bullpen ERA is 4th in the league.

Been plucking good value Gold's in the AH to gradually upgrade as I go along. That will be the MO. I do NOT carry any live cards on the side at all, so will have to start seeing if I can get lucky in some tourneys.

Only 8 teams get promoted, so it looks like I will stay in Rookie level for another season.

PT22: FTP Team "Our League Member"

PT21: FTP Non-Live Cards "Our-League member"

PT21: FTP Team

PT 20 History:
SPBJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #364
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Shortstop Wills Team to Winning Effort

In an effort to lift the spirit of the slumping Port Ruppert clubhouse, shortstop Maury Wills donned a t-shirt he purchased from a vendor outside Glorious Mundy Stadium. They went on sale shortly after the Mundys upset the juggernaut that is the Kansas Rangers.

Wills told the locker room, "We're one of the few that have taken down Kansas. Let's play that way again, today!" The formerly moribund Mundys have won 6 of 7 since that pep talk.
Attached Images
Stanley Kuppchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:32 PM   #365
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Also Available at an Adjacent Newstand

Though the author is listed as anonymous, a popular theory holds that the tome was penned by McDog512, since it was he that coined the phrase OL whale.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stanley Kuppchaser; 04-09-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:01 PM   #366
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Kuppchaser View Post
Though the author is listed as anonymous, a popular theory holds that the tome was penned by McDog512, since it was he that coined the phrase OL whale.

I plead the 5th.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:51 PM   #367
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Stanley, one positive note, The Say Hey kid was the All Star MVP in Stone .107

My buddy and I have been playing a regular OOTP historical game starting in 1901. We managed the Phillies for many years, then signed on with the New York Giants. We traded DiMaggio for Ted Williams and done fairly well but we were both bummed that as we approach the 1950 draft both The Mick and The Say Hey Kid are in it and we have no sniff of that pick. I think we pick 12.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:41 PM   #368
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Nice win for Port Rupert.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2020, 05:45 AM   #369
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Weston Pointe: More than a Ghost of a Chance

Not so fast say the Caspers, who have battled the Kansas Rangers on a near equal footing, have asserted themselves and closed the gap to the number of games the two have remaining.

By the way, I hope there is no offense taken to bit of fun I've been having with the remarkable Rangers story. I'm a big Our League booster, and it's great to have one of our own soon to be swimming with the big fish. I always check out the other leagues to see how we're doing. PT doesn't really exist for me outside of OL. The other games and standings are only a way to get points to reinvest in OL.

Anyway, good luck going forward. Might be awhile for one of us to catch up. Hmm, I guess Weston Pointe could differ with that opinion. It will inspire us all to follow in your wake. I know I'll be rooting for you, as I'm sure the rest of us will. Give 'em hell.
Attached Images
Old 04-10-2020, 09:26 AM   #370
Maxfire5
Minors (Double A)

No offense is taken at all. I'm actually thoroughly enjoying the different things posted about the Rangers. I just hope to represent the OL group well.

Weston Pointe Caspers have a very solid team too. Looks like they've made a few additions through the season including 100 Jimmie Fox, 92 Bill Madlock building on an already very strong team.

F2P Pack Only Team

F2P Missouri Theme Team
Maxfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:29 AM   #371
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfire5 View Post
No offense is taken at all. I'm actually thoroughly enjoying the different things posted about the Rangers. I just hope to represent the OL group well.

Weston Pointe Caspers have a very solid team too. Looks like they've made a few additions through the season including 100 Jimmie Fox, 92 Bill Madlock building on an already very strong team.

I know what you mean. They can keep you company on your journey, and keep both teams in Our League shape.

Last edited by Stanley Kuppchaser; 04-10-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:36 AM   #372
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Please add the Rustlers

I've decided to make the Rustlers compliant. I had a little time this morning and decided to begin the sell off of live players today rather than wait. They've not been playing well at all, so I don't think I'm giving up much in earnings. In fact, they've been able to clip the occasional pack or points in tourneys. I don't have a whole lot on the agenda today until later this afternoon, so perhaps I can get rid of enough live quickly to make some improvements. I was hoping to avoid relegation, but that seems a pipe dream.

In any event, please add:

Terra Incognita Rustlers; user: Gil_Gamesh

I've already updated the master list.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:38 AM   #373
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Rookie league update:

Hooterville maintains their lead heading into the dog days of summer.
Attached Images
Old 04-10-2020, 02:30 PM   #374
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

"Death Valley" Deals

Jim "Death Valley" Scott fired a no-hitter, striking out 10 and walking a pair. Unfortunately, it was one of only two wins in August the Asylum Keepers have been able to muster. The team appeared to have turned things around after an 18-8 July, moving from proximity to relegation to a chance to move up a level and continue to battle their lone OL rival, the Shinbone Stars. Scott, nonetheless, has proven a bellwether, leading the staff at 14-6.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 04-11-2020, 07:07 AM   #375
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Kansas Crown Inevitable?

The Rangers beat back a challenge from Weston Pointe, picking up a pair of road wins against the Caspers and then, weeks later, capping a 20-game win streak by sweeping the Caspers, again on the road. The numbers no longer support any rational reading of a challenge to Kansas' claim to the first stone crown. Of note, however, is that the Rangers' streak came to an end when they dropped a pair at home to OL's Cary Southpaws.

I've noticed that a few people have reverted to game created logos, which is fine, but please put the + at the end of your team's acronym. Makes it much easier to read the schedule.
Attached Images
Old 04-11-2020, 08:49 AM   #376
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Rookie league update:

Heading into the final month, Hooterville remains atop the standings, looking to claim their first Rookie league title.
Attached Images
Old 04-11-2020, 09:21 AM   #377
SPBJT
Minors (Double A)

Got about 3500PP in the bank. Going to scrimp and save for my first Diamond. If I can manage one per week I will be good to go by the time this pandemic ends! Golds are only taking me so far. And since I am not saving any LIVE cards, the AH seems to be the place to live for the time being. I'm hovering right around .500 overall but doing better against the non-OL clubs.

PT22: FTP Team "Our League Member"

PT21: FTP Non-Live Cards "Our-League member"

PT21: FTP Team

PT 20 History:
SPBJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #378
Charlatan
All Star Starter

I like the fact that the OOTP team is adding some historical missions. I enjoy pursuing the cards for a mission, it gives me something to work towards over a longer time period.

However!
  • I dislike the fact that some missions are economically not worth pursuing. A couple of them require you to acquire multiple gold cards, and the reward card is a low gold... so you're spending 6k+ on a reward card that's 4k at most. I guess part of the logic behind this is that you're picking up cards you will use (at least for a while) but that's often not true for me, as I'm not going to slot a random historical card in to either of my teams... the players need to fit a specific profile. So to me, those missions are simply silly. Guess I'll be buying Mordecai Brown and Steve Rogers straight off the AH since their missions aren't worth looking at.

• Putting popular players in multiple missions (see 68 Smith, Ozzie) seems like a terrible idea. Those cards are already in high demand for Bronze tournaments, and adding two or three missions that require the card feels like a dumb idea (I'm willing to have my mind changed though, as I was writing this I wondered if there is a ceiling for a card like this - for example, is 2000 the maximum anyone would pay for a 68 Ozzie? Or make is 2500, whatever. If that's the max then maybe adding him to 3 or 5 missions would only bump the price a little bit).

That is all! Have a good Easter weekend everyone and stay safe.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:22 PM   #379
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Shinbone Stars Clinch First "Food Fight" Fete

Though three games at Shinbone remain to be played in the series, the Stars clinched the title and the feast with their 10th win against six losses over the Asylum Keepers. The road teams reigned supreme this season, as Shinbone went 8-1 on the road and only 2-5 at home. And so it was, the hungry young Stars queued up at La Luce Stallare to claim their feast, highlighted by the chef's signature osso buco, among many other tasty offerings. Shinbone's players will also take away a year's supply of Keeper Cakes, courtesy of White Eagle Bakery in Asylum, just adjacent to the Sanitarium Hills Stadium complex.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 04-11-2020, 01:10 PM   #380
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Looks delicious!!! Nice Easter Dinner!!
Jeff1787 is offline   Reply With Quote