Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > Perfect Team 21
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team 21 Perfect Team 21 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:08 AM   #1
MrFancier
Bat Boy

How to get a player out of a slump?

I know the answer to this may just be that RNG hates me, but does anyone have any tips to get a player out of a season long slump? I have Mookie Betts to try and carry my team and he simply can't hit this season.

I've moved him to the bottom of my lineup and tried benching him for 5 games. Neither have worked, in fact since being benched he's gone 3 for 23 with no extra base hits. His eye at the plate is fine, he just can't make good contact at all.
MrFancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:25 AM   #2
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Some people have successfully sacrificed a baby goat to the BABIP gods, but that hasn't helped me either, and I have an entire team on my hand that seems to have a season-long .250 BABIP rut. Ultimately it will end when it ends.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:04 AM   #3
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFancier View Post
I know the answer to this may just be that RNG hates me, but does anyone have any tips to get a player out of a season long slump? I have Mookie Betts to try and carry my team and he simply can't hit this season.

I've moved him to the bottom of my lineup and tried benching him for 5 games. Neither have worked, in fact since being benched he's gone 3 for 23 with no extra base hits. His eye at the plate is fine, he just can't make good contact at all.

I usually resort to beating them in head with a bat....But Mookie Betts card to me is a garbage as a Chris Sale card is
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:49 AM   #4
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Whisper sweet nothings in his ear maybe?
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #5
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Some people have successfully sacrificed a baby goat to the BABIP gods, but that hasn't helped me either, and I have an entire team on my hand that seems to have a season-long .250 BABIP rut. Ultimately it will end when it ends.
Ran out of goats again?
Old 04-09-2020, 10:57 AM   #6
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I don't think there's much that you can do as a manager/GM to pull them out of a slump - giving them a day off may or may not be a thing that factors in, I'm not sure - but a player's ability to break out of slumps is affected by their Work Ethic and Intelligence ratings, your hitting coach's ability to work with them (both in terms of straight up ability and how well he deals with players of that experience level), and I believe the overall Leadership on the club (I could be wrong about that last part).
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #7
Charlatan
All Star Starter

I don't think resting a player has any effect; I swear I've moved players to the Reserve Roster and moved them back 2 months later and they come in as Cold. So you just gotta let them play through it.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:03 AM   #8
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I guess conversely if the player has options available and isn't going to refuse the assignment, you could always send them down to the minors for a month or two...

TBH in the case of Betts in this case, depending on the accuracy of that scouting report I might wonder if he's actually taken a talent hit. Half a year is still within the realm of very bad luck (especially if combined with a slump) but it's also within the realm of "this guy suddenly lost it".
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:28 AM   #9
Magus978
All Star Starter

In PT, the simple answer is "You don't". Either they'll get out of it themselves, or it's just not gonna be their week.

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #10
neugey
All Star Reserve

Every now and then you have to punt 'em down to the reserve and call up a silver or gold replacement. Had to do it with Aaron Judge this morning, he was hitting around .150.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #11
Tinkerman
All Star Starter

My guess is that you've got a lot of 90+ HR power guys in your league and Mookie's suffered because of the league averages. He's probably flown out at the warning track a whole bunch!
Old 04-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #12
ThinkingDog
Minors (Rookie Ball)

That said...are there such a thing as "bum cards"? I have picked up a couple of cards via AH...hitters/96 & 97s...and played them...and they were, umm...meh. Really sub-.200 meh. Upon looking at their previous years in play...they both have 2020 & 2021 season stat lines that are also meh. Being a new player, it made me wonder if some individual cards are simply toggled less than perfect.

ThinkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:29 PM   #13
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingDog View Post
That said...are there such a thing as "bum cards"? I have picked up a couple of cards via AH...hitters/96 & 97s...and played them...and they were, umm...meh. Really sub-.200 meh. Upon looking at their previous years in play...they both have 2020 & 2021 season stat lines that are also meh. Being a new player, it made me wonder if some individual cards are simply toggled less than perfect.

Ummm, no.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:25 AM   #14
Grizzlegom
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
Ummm, no.
idk, Matt Chapman's 96 rating but low contact and high K rate would like to have a word with you.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:50 AM   #15
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
idk, Matt Chapman's 96 rating but low contact and high K rate would like to have a word with you.
Developers said last year, they are just abunch of ones and zeros at the end of the day and they didn't program in one card being a lemon so to speak.....except Bob and Jim of course.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote