Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:55 AM   #21
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
How would they handle injuries and needing to call up players to fill those open spots?
Why, they'd have a bunch of pre-screened minor league players kept at one of these FEMA Internment Camps.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:15 AM   #22
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Florida has the 3 NFL Stadiums,College Stadiums,Cracker Jack Stadium in Orlando,the Trop,where the Marlins play,Spring Training homes/Florida State League Stadiums and so on.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:36 AM   #23
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgom27 View Post
Florida has the 3 NFL Stadiums,College Stadiums,Cracker Jack Stadium in Orlando,the Trop,where the Marlins play,Spring Training homes/Florida State League Stadiums and so on.
I was hoping for your take on this.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:41 AM   #24
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgom27 View Post
One of the main reasons Arizona is the option as opposed to Florida is because the fields in Arizona are all pretty close to each other. All within "close" proximity to Phoenix. The longest travel time being just over an hour.

vs Florida where they are separated by much greater distances. Some places 3+ hours away.

I don't think the number of fields to play on is the main issue.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys

Last edited by cephasjames; 04-08-2020 at 11:47 AM.
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:06 PM   #25
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
If you want to make $30m, you can also make a sacrifice or two.

I just doubt MLB's ability to keep intruders out as well as they think they can.
Upvoted for intruders comment, but not $30M comment. No amount of money is worth the "sacrifice" these players are being asked to make to entertain the fans, and line the owners' pockets. It's disgusting. Pure and simple.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:09 PM   #26
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Upvoted for intruders comment, but not $30M comment. No amount of money is worth the "sacrifice" these players are being asked to make to entertain the fans, and line the owners' pockets. It's disgusting. Pure and simple.
Yeah, shining a light in the hearts of millions of fans bereft of baseball and surrounded by nothing but doom and gloom. How terrible. What does it matter if 30 fat cats make another buck or two? Most of them won't feel the difference, they stink of money, regardless of whether baseball is being played or not. So rather than with a 2-week road trip, the season starts with six weeks (or whatever) in Arizona. Negligible sacrifice.* It's not like they could have taken their kids to Disneyworld on their day off, anyway.

*If MLB could contain a closed environment, which they can't. MLB can't even listen to the sound of drums correctly.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #27
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Here's an idea (that'll never happen because the owners are dicks) MLB owners. Why not help out substantially in the relief efforts? There's so much you can do with a small chunk of the $10+ billion that you pull in every year from people that could really use your help right now. You wouldn't come off looking like such tone deaf, greedy assholes, and it would be greatly appreciated. The PR would be hugely beneficial to you (and let's face it, you need all the good PR that you can get right now), you'd be able to take pride in having helped get North America through this, and then when baseball started up again, you'd be seen in a completely different light than if you move forward with this cash grab nonsense. *Thinks about it and laughs hysterically because this will never happen*

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:11 PM   #28
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, shining a light in the hearts of millions of fans bereft of baseball and surrounded by nothing but doom and gloom. How terrible. What does it matter if 30 fat cats make another buck or two? Most of them won't feel the difference, they stink of money, regardless of whether baseball is being played or not. So rather than with a 2-week road trip, the season starts with six weeks (or whatever) in Arizona. Negligible sacrifice.* It's not like they could have taken their kids to Disneyworld on their day off, anyway.

*If MLB could contain a closed environment, which they can't. MLB can't even listen to the sound of drums correctly.
Not quite sure what level of snark you're at here

But, people dying because of baseball adds to the doom and gloom.

It's not about the billionaires.
It's the about the millionaires
Thousandaires
And minimum wagers who are putting their health (including mental if they are also to be quarantined for months) at risk.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:24 PM   #29
cardsfansc
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Quote:
Unless the players have some underlying medical condition exactly what risks are they taking? I have actually had the coronavirus thanks to contact with a family member that was one of the college kids that still decided to spring break. I was sick for about 2 weeks with symptoms that could easily be described as the flu on steroids. I didn't hardly move from my bed, but by the 7 or 8th day I was feeling pretty ok and by the 14th day didn't feel bad at all. It sucks and its an inconvenience but its not worth passing up a MLB paycheck for
cardsfansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:14 PM   #30
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Some sports really are coming with some crazy ideas that can only be because of how much money they're scared of not making.

Yeah, Augusta, hoping to play the Masters in November, I'm looking at you too
Old 04-09-2020, 06:34 PM   #31
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
They could borrow OOTP crowd noise file!!!
"Programs, get your programs here."
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #32
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfansc View Post
Unless the players have some underlying medical condition exactly what risks are they taking? I have actually had the coronavirus thanks to contact with a family member that was one of the college kids that still decided to spring break. I was sick for about 2 weeks with symptoms that could easily be described as the flu on steroids. I didn't hardly move from my bed, but by the 7 or 8th day I was feeling pretty ok and by the 14th day didn't feel bad at all. It sucks and its an inconvenience but its not worth passing up a MLB paycheck for
Infecting the people making minimum wage who clean their hotel rooms, make their meals, shuttle them to and from the stadium, wash their clothes, etc. Who then pass it to...

Good enough?

Also, not everyone is effected the same by viruses because the amount of the virus (the viral dose or viral load) matters a lot. This is, of course, difficult to study since it's hard to measure how much of a virus a person was exposed to, and exposing people to controlled amounts is generally considered unethical
Old 04-10-2020, 01:16 AM   #33
cardsfansc
Banned

No not good enough. The comment I responded to asked about the risks to baseball PLAYERS. so that's what I responded to. Thanks for trying to make it about something else.

As far as the crap about viral load and what not? Sources?
Old 04-10-2020, 02:12 AM   #34
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No not good enough. The comment I responded to asked about the risks to baseball PLAYERS. so that's what I responded to. Thanks for trying to make it about something else.

These arguments seem familiar. Have we met before Mr. Two Post Wonder?
Old 04-10-2020, 03:31 AM   #35
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Well, first, I can sense you are a stickler for detail, so, no, the post you responded to did not "ask about the risks to baseball PLAYERS". There was a statement about the "sacrifices" they would have to make. But, nothing about "risk".
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you want to make $30m, you can also make a sacrifice or two.

I just doubt MLB's ability to keep intruders out as well as they think they can.
Unless the players have some underlying medical condition exactly what risks are they taking?

Second, I don't know about you, personally, but I, as a person capable of feeling empathy, would feel terrible if I were to be responsible for infecting another person, be it a friend, family member, or complete stranger, with this disease. That's why, you know, I'm staying home. Not just because I don't want to get sick myself, but because I don't want to take the risk of infecting 1, or 100, or 1000 people. I'm trying to mitigate that risk. That's the reason for...gestures at the entire world...all of this.

So, yeah, a risk to the baseball players, er, PLAYERS, is that they might infect other baseball PLAYERS, or any of the low-wage workers who are part of this idea who, in turn, could infect someone from the community at large.

Quote:
Of course

Will the peer-reviewed medical journal, The Lancet, do?

Quote:
Viral dynamics in mild and severe cases of COVID-19
Yang Liu
Li-Meng Yan
Lagen Wan
Tian-Xin Xiang
Aiping Le
Jia-Ming Liu
et al.

The mean viral load of severe cases was around 60 times higher than that of mild cases, suggesting that higher viral loads might be associated with severe clinical outcomes
Overall, our data indicate that, similar to SARS in 2002–03, patients with severe COVID-19 tend to have a high viral load and a long virus-shedding period. This finding suggests that the viral load of SARS-CoV-2 might be a useful marker for assessing disease severity and prognosis.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...232-2/fulltext

And the importance of viral dose is fairly well-known thing to educated people, so I pretentiously present a study from the National Institutes of Health
Quote:
Nonlinear disease tolerance curves reveal distinct components of host responses to viral infection
Vanika Gupta and Pedro F. Vale

2. Results
2.1. The magnitude of G9a-mediated antiviral protection is dose dependent

Following infection with a range of doses of DCV, we found that overall G9a−/− flies showed significantly higher mortality compared with G9a+/+(figure 2a,b and table 1) in line with previously reported effects of this gene on fly survival [17]. However, we found that G9a+/+ and G9a−/− responded differently to each viral dose, and that the magnitude of the survival benefit of having a functional G9a varied with the infectious dose of DCV (table 1, fly line × dose interaction). Notably, mortality was similar between G9a+/+ and G9a−/− when challenged with the highest dose (109), indicating that the protective effect of a functional G9a is no longer observed when flies were challenged with very high doses of DCV.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5541558/

I assume these will suffice to, if not satiate, at least activate, your curiosity on the topic. I look forward to hearing your, no doubt, profound thoughts on these articles.

Not that cardsfan needs it, as I have zero doubt the previous articles are clear as day to them, but for the rest of us mere mortal thinkers, the first article finds that people in hospitals who are sicker have more of the virus in their bodies. The second finds that as fruit flies, that have a genetic immunity to a specific virus, receive higher doses of the virus they die more often.

That said, we should keep in mind that different viruses interact differently with the human body. We don't know that much, yet, about how these factors affect people's health in regards to covid-19. And since we don't know, we should take care not to take risks that might infect ourselves or others.

Last edited by CBeisbol; 04-10-2020 at 04:18 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:44 AM   #36
cardsfansc
Banned

Just been listening to the ATL Braves podcast 755 is real. Sounds as if the Arizona plan is more real than some have let on. Luke Jackson of the Braves talks about a memo that came from the MLBPA with all the guidelines that would be in place. He is down for playing it sounded like and him and ex Brave Eric O'Flaherty make it sound like a lot of players would be for financial reasons.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:57 AM   #37
cardsfansc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Well, first, I can sense you are a stickler for detail, so, no, the post you responded to did not "ask about the risks to baseball PLAYERS". There was a statement about the "sacrifices" they would have to make. But, nothing about "risk".

Second, I don't know about you, personally, but I, as a person capable of feeling empathy, would feel terrible if I were to be responsible for infecting another person, be it a friend, family member, or complete stranger, with this disease. That's why, you know, I'm staying home. Not just because I don't want to get sick myself, but because I don't want to take the risk of infecting 1, or 100, or 1000 people. I'm trying to mitigate that risk. That's the reason for...gestures at the entire world...all of this.

So, yeah, a risk to the baseball players, er, PLAYERS, is that they might infect other baseball PLAYERS, or any of the low-wage workers who are part of this idea who, in turn, could infect someone from the community at large.

Of course

Will the peer-reviewed medical journal, The Lancet, do?

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...232-2/fulltext

And the importance of viral dose is fairly well-known thing to educated people, so I pretentiously present a study from the National Institutes of Health

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5541558/

I assume these will suffice to, if not satiate, at least activate, your curiosity on the topic. I look forward to hearing your, no doubt, profound thoughts on these articles.

Not that cardsfan needs it, as I have zero doubt the previous articles are clear as day to them, but for the rest of us mere mortal thinkers, the first article finds that people in hospitals who are sicker have more of the virus in their bodies. The second finds that as fruit flies, that have a genetic immunity to a specific virus, receive higher doses of the virus they die more often.

That said, we should keep in mind that different viruses interact differently with the human body. We don't know that much, yet, about how these factors affect people's health in regards to covid-19. And since we don't know, we should take care not to take risks that might infect ourselves or others.
I do plan on reading these articles, but it may take the better part of a day before I get to them and compare them with what my neighbor, who happens to be primary care doctor
Old 04-10-2020, 07:42 AM   #38
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You say you want to talk about the players only. So let's take them first. Despite their relative health there is risk for them in participating. You seem to apply the idea of Louisiana Pastor Tony Spell who continues to pack his church every Sunday. He says True Christians aren't afraid to die and if they do they will have died in the name of God and Freedom. So if any players die, it will be in the name of Baseball and Relieving The Boredom Of Fans. What noble, almost holy, deaths those would be.

You don' t want to discuss the low wage workers To you they don't matter. Well I'm going to mention them.

Its kind of like Texas Lt Gov. Dan Patrick's idea where he acknowledged old people were at extra risk from coronavirus. But he said open up the economy anyway, the old folks should be willing to sacrifice themselves for the good of the economy. After all, they're not that useful any more anyway. And you treat low wage workers the same, the idea that they'll never accomplish much so they don't matter.

Have to wonder, if we're going to provide safety based on value, what are we going to do with people sitting at home getting medicaid and drawing a government disability check? Maybe we ought to draft them to be the at risk fans in the park.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:13 AM   #39
cardsfansc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
You say you want to talk about the players only. So let's take them first. Despite their relative health there is risk for them in participating. You seem to apply the idea of Louisiana Pastor Tony Spell who continues to pack his church every Sunday. He says True Christians aren't afraid to die and if they do they will have died in the name of God and Freedom. So if any players die, it will be in the name of Baseball and Relieving The Boredom Of Fans. What noble, almost holy, deaths those would be.

You don' t want to discuss the low wage workers To you they don't matter. Well I'm going to mention them.

Its kind of like Texas Lt Gov. Dan Patrick's idea where he acknowledged old people were at extra risk from coronavirus. But he said open up the economy anyway, the old folks should be willing to sacrifice themselves for the good of the economy. After all, they're not that useful any more anyway. And you treat low wage workers the same, the idea that they'll never accomplish much so they don't matter.

Have to wonder, if we're going to provide safety based on value, what are we going to do with people sitting at home getting medicaid and drawing a government disability check? Maybe we ought to draft them to be the at risk fans in the park.
I'm also a HS Jr, so I don't pretend to know which of these "low wage workers" will actually be needed. But you're not gonna vendors, concession or souvenir booth people, cleaning people, or loads of other people who normally work at the stadiums.

Do announcers and extra media people even have to be in the stadium? Yes, i know camera operators would and probably someone to trouble shoot mics and cameras.

Who would you really need besides the normal traveling party for a team, and the camera operators and their support?
and Umpires, but those could be cut down too since it sounds like they are planning to use robotic strike zone

so who else out of the "low cost workers" are absolutely needed?
cardsfansc is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 04-10-2020, 11:46 AM   #40
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
. Who would you really need besides the normal traveling party for a team, and the camera operators and their support?
and Umpires, but those could be cut down too since it sounds like they are planning to use robotic strike zone

so who else out of the "low cost workers" are absolutely needed?
To name a few
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
food workers, janitors, hotel staff, clubhouse workers, etc...
Security, whoever is tranporting the teams to and from the hotel...

Last edited by CBeisbol; 04-10-2020 at 11:52 AM.