Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 03-19-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

How to make a tournament?

I'm not new to the game but I never tried the tournament feature before - actually have no idea of the process of how to start one. I found some information in the OOTP 18 manual but not instructions on how to create one. I checked the game settings etc.

Any help?
Old 03-19-2018, 01:52 PM   #2
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Yeah, I think we need to fix up the manuals a little more on this

You can add one to a game in the same way you would add a new league to a game. If you go to the game settings page, there's a button for actions in the upper right which should have a few choices "add a new league" "add a new tournament".

Then you step through the options for a tournament. Need to decide which type of tournament you want - WBC-style, Champions League style, or Arizona Fall League style would be essentially the 3 main "types" of tournaments, although there's a ton of customization on top of that. The manual I believe should go into some detail on many of the option choices. If you want to start out, I'd suggest adding a WBC-style tournament, seeing how that plays out, and then you can explore within it to see different options available.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post

You can add one to a game in the same way you would add a new league to a game. If you go to the game settings page, there's a button for actions in the upper right which should have a few choices "add a new league" "add a new tournament".

Then you step through the options for a tournament. Need to decide which type of tournament you want - WBC-style, Champions League style, or Arizona Fall League style would be essentially the 3 main "types" of tournaments, although there's a ton of customization on top of that. The manual I believe should go into some detail on many of the option choices. If you want to start out, I'd suggest adding a WBC-style tournament, seeing how that plays out, and then you can explore within it to see different options available.
Hi Matt, First off thanks for a GREAT game that has raised the bar to astronomical compared to other baseball sims. I was under the impression that we could create a tournament by selecting historical teams if we wish. So for example I might want to set up a Deadball tournament. I went through each step and when I reached the final step there were no teams. I stepped back and it seems that the game was creating fictional players and teams.

I'm pretty certain I must be missing something so any help you be greatly appreciated.

I wish you were hiring writers! I would love to update the existing manual because the game as it stands now really needs an updated manual.

Last edited by Beatles Eternally; 03-19-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Beatles Eternally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #4
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

I'll try to help without the game in front of me. Start with creating a fictional league, then switch to historical teams, select the teams you would like to participate, and then add a tournament, associate the league, and setup the tournament how you would like.

That is the basics, but I can provide better instructions when I'm home if you'd like.
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #5
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYY #23 View Post
I'll try to help without the game in front of me. Start with creating a fictional league, then switch to historical teams, select the teams you would like to participate, and then add a tournament, associate the league, and setup the tournament how you would like.

That is the basics, but I can provide better instructions when I'm home if you'd like.
Hi NYY#23,

I'll give it a go now and then let you know. Thank you so very very much for taking the time to read my post and respond with what could be the answer!!

Best,

"Beatles"
Old 03-19-2018, 05:47 PM   #6
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles Eternally View Post
Hi NYY#23,

I'll give it a go now and then let you know. Thank you so very very much for taking the time to read my post and respond with what could be the answer!!

Best,

"Beatles"
Hey NYY#23,

THANK YOU!!! A million times thank you!! Cheers, Slainte, Saluto, Proost!!

Beatles
Old 03-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #7
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Double A)

Hey NYY#23,

Beatles
Old 03-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #8
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles Eternally View Post
Hey NYY#23,

Beatles
You're welcome. Glad that helped. I was sure it worked, but not sure if my poor instructions from memory helped.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #9
daves
Hall Of Famer

How can you delete the tournament created? I added a tournament and now I cannot access my team or league.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:37 PM   #10
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post

How do you go about making a Champions League style? I added 8 leagues to the main game, and when I went to setup a tournament, I didn't see an option to make the champions for each league champ. Do you have to wait til the tournament comes around to add the teams?
Old 03-19-2018, 11:02 PM   #11
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
How do you go about making a Champions League style? I added 8 leagues to the main game, and when I went to setup a tournament, I didn't see an option to make the champions for each league champ. Do you have to wait til the tournament comes around to add the teams?
Right now you have to manually add the champions from each league once the tournament comes around. I believe I read Matt say that automatic team selection will be a future item.

Was hoping I wasn't imagining things, but here is the link from the first impressions thread.

Last edited by NYY #23; 03-19-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:12 PM   #12
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
How can you delete the tournament created? I added a tournament and now I cannot access my team or league.
You would delete a tournament by going to Game>Game Settings then clicking the League Settings tab, select the tournament from the drop-down on the right, and then clicking delete this tournament.

I'm not sure what would happen if you delete a tournament when it's still active though, so I'd be careful doing that.

Do you still control your original team? You should be able to control both a tournament team and regular team, but it almost sounds like you don't. I'd check that first and make sure you are still the GM of the regular team.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #13
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

I'm trying out tournaments for the first time right now. I've created a four-league universe with 16 teams per league. I'm creating a 32-team tournament with no regular season -- just a seeded knockout tourney with 3 game series. I manually assign the top 8 team in each league to the tournament before it begins. The tournament is currently set to start on June 15th. The regular season for my leagues ends on like June 6th (there are no playoffs in those leagues). The problem I'm having is that the leagues enter the offseason during the tourney, so teams lose/gain free agents. Some guys are playing in the tournament for two different teams. I can't manually set the free agency start date, to the best of my knowledge. If I try to start the tournament any earlier, it will overlap with the regular season (which means I wouldn't yet know who the top 8 teams were). Can the schedule generator handle the regular season and tournament overlapping? If so, I could do it Champions/Europa League style and have the top 8 teams from 2020, for example, qualify for the 2021 tournament. Any suggestions?
ASURay is offline   Reply With Quote