Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:14 PM   #1
OdoyleRules
Bat Boy

In Game Bullpen Mechanics

First post here. Glad to join.

I've become superstitious over the years of playing with the way the bullpen works. I started using the on screen in game one last year. OOTP21 is now not letting you change pitchers until the start of the inning, it is locked. Essentially your current pitcher steps on the mound and then you take them off. Is there a way to set it so that we have an option to send a bullpen player to the mound at the start of the inning rather than what looks like current pitcher takes the mound and then is taken off without throwing a pitch? I'm positive that things go worse when that happens based on my superstitions.

Stats used to get weird when you could replace current pitcher because if you did it with 1 out while batting then scored, the guy who you put in would get credit for the Win if you got ahead and held it. This was forced sometimes to prevent them from entering "fatiguing" mode instead of "ready" in terms of warming up.

It would be nice if I could warm up a pitcher, and in the event of a big inning decide they will start the next inning and have their stamina/readiness managed by the bullpen coach in a way that I don't feel forced to put them in to prevent fatigue.

Last edited by OdoyleRules; 03-19-2020 at 05:16 PM.
OdoyleRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I certainly thought it was weird to see that you cant change pitchers when your team is hitting. I do the same thing as you mostly just because I think it's weird that the old pitcher will come to the mound and then be immediately replaced, even though its just something cosmetic, but i'm a little OCD about that i guess. it's not really anything superstitious, but i also sometimes do it so that way i dont forget after my team hits to switch the pitcher.

Say my team gets the lead late and I want my closer in the game for the 9th. I'll so that when the go-ahead runs score instead of waiting for my team to take the field, because I don't want to forget about it. I may just be in the minority. Not really an issue in my opinion, it's just something I'll have to get used to
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #3
OdoyleRules
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
I certainly thought it was weird to see that you cant change pitchers when your team is hitting. I do the same thing as you mostly just because I think it's weird that the old pitcher will come to the mound and then be immediately replaced, even though its just something cosmetic, but i'm a little OCD about that i guess. it's not really anything superstitious, but i also sometimes do it so that way i dont forget after my team hits to switch the pitcher.

Say my team gets the lead late and I want my closer in the game for the 9th. I'll so that when the go-ahead runs score instead of waiting for my team to take the field, because I don't want to forget about it. I may just be in the minority. Not really an issue in my opinion, it's just something I'll have to get used to
I think a right click option to send that pitcher out for the start of the next would more or less let a game flow like it normally would. I can't say how many times I've seen adverse results for changing pitchers before a batter is faced but it always seems to go that way in my experience.

Do you have any ideas how to make it flow better? 21 beta seems to have made it impossible.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:16 PM   #4
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:

But it throws off the pitcher of record. Say you changed the pitcher while your team was hitting, and you were down 3-2. Your team comes back to take a 4-3 lead in that half inning. The pitcher you just inserted is now the pitcher of record. To take it a step further, let's assume this happens in the 7th inning. That is just not correct.
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:44 PM   #5
OdoyleRules
Bat Boy

I know it's not correct but I'm attempting to propose solutions that are less awkward to gameplay flow than the present response.

I'm all in on statistics working properly but I'd like to see a solution that worked for both situations.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:59 PM   #6
Bobfather
All Star Starter

I would like to suggest that after a pitcher who has warmed up then sit downs that their be an indication if he is still ready. Right now I have to drag pitcher into bullpen to see his status, then if still ready put him in the game, or warm him up.
Bobfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:06 AM   #7
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
But it throws off the pitcher of record. Say you changed the pitcher while your team was hitting, and you were down 3-2. Your team comes back to take a 4-3 lead in that half inning. The pitcher you just inserted is now the pitcher of record. To take it a step further, let's assume this happens in the 7th inning. That is just not correct.
I personally do not care about that
Old 03-20-2020, 07:16 AM   #8
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
I personally do not care about that

And that puts you in a tiny minority. If I took a poll around here about whether or not people care about statistical accuracy, that percentage of “yes” would be easily over 95%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2020, 07:21 AM   #9
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
Then I agree with this decision of locking it. I want the stats to be correct as much as possible.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:37 AM   #10
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

You're right, I'm in the minority. I don't play out many games anyway, just the playoffs and a select few regular season games. In the playoffs I couldn't care less who the winning pitcher is, as long as we win, which is why I would want to make sure my pitcher is in there when we take the lead, regardless of who ends up with the win.

But would it throw off the pitcher of record? I don't pay attention to it, but once your team gets the lead, my old pitcher would still be the pitcher who was "pitching" at the time we took the lead, no? I don't think if I brought my closer in while my team was still hitting, he would get a win and a save.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #11
slugga27
All Star Starter

In Game Bullpen Mechanics

Quote:
You're right, I'm in the minority. I don't play out many games anyway, just the playoffs and a select few regular season games. In the playoffs I couldn't care less who the winning pitcher is, as long as we win, which is why I would want to make sure my pitcher is in there when we take the lead, regardless of who ends up with the win.

But would it throw off the pitcher of record? I don't pay attention to it, but once your team gets the lead, my old pitcher would still be the pitcher who was "pitching" at the time we took the lead, no? I don't think if I brought my closer in while my team was still hitting, he would get a win and a save.

Incorrect. (I found this out the hard way.). The pitcher you inserted would be the pitcher of record.

EDIT: No, your closer would not get a win and a save. In my scenario, he would be the pitcher of record and get the win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by slugga27; 03-20-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #12
LeiterFanatic
All Star Starter

Just as a point of clarification, AI teams still do not use the warmup feature, correct?
We still haven't reached the AI bullpen management of Tony Larussa Baseball II ?
LeiterFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote