Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 6 > FHM 6 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FHM 6 - General Discussion Talk about the latest & greatest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 12-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
DrunkenTeddy
Major Leagues

Editing Player's Languages

With the game using languages to determine players feeling isolated and the development of language skills being so slow in FHM, would it be possible to have the ability for a commissioner to edit player's known languages?
DrunkenTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
Spartacus70
Minors (Double A)

I'm seconding.
And it will be good too in the case of created players.
Like minor french canadian who speak or not english in the 60's-80's areas!
Spartacus70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:35 PM   #3
GMO123
Major Leagues

I agree.
I have a couple players who have been in the NHL for 3 years and are still not fluent in English and therefore feel 'isolated', which affects the players.
GMO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:35 AM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

I'll see. It may be a little complicated to add direct editing because of the way the game handles them, and we'd also need to allow editing the fluency level and the time remaining to learn the language as well.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:33 AM   #5
GMO123
Major Leagues

Is there any way now to get players to become fluent faster because after 3 years a couple of my NHL players have not learned English?

Can anything be done to help them learn a language faster, or can anything be edited now to help them learn a new language?

Because right now it's better not to have those players on the team because they seem to tend to play poorly and nothing seems to help the situation.
GMO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMO123 View Post
Is there any way now to get players to become fluent faster because after 3 years a couple of my NHL players have not learned English?

Can anything be done to help them learn a language faster, or can anything be edited now to help them learn a new language?

Because right now it's better not to have those players on the team because they seem to tend to play poorly and nothing seems to help the situation.
Having another player from their country on the team drops the impact significantly.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:16 PM   #7
Lord PichuPal
All Star Reserve

When it comes to creating or customizing players, I definitely would like having the ability to adjust the language, too. Trying to change a player from one nationality to another without being able to fix that is a headache in those instances. I do appreciate that they do eventually learn new languages, but that's also different from choosing their starting native language, too. Mostly something I'd wanted for custom games as well
Old 12-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #8
Tham
Bat Boy

The issue that I'm having with this is...there seems to be no way to help an langue isolated player.

For example, I had a young star goalie who was Fin and langue isolated. So I got him a back goalie who was also Fin and a goalie coach who was Fin and a Vet player who spoke English and Fin.

And both Goalies were langue isolated for 3 seasons...

I feel that a players development should not be affect by langue if their coach speaks their langue...and I think other players should have a larger impact on the isolated player.

Like having a Vet on the team that speaks both their langue and the main langue...that should really shorten the isolation period. Even having another young player that can only speak their langue should also help but of course to a lessor.
Tham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:52 AM   #9
JeffR
FHM Producer

Was that after the most recent update? We fixed a bug there that was slowing language development. It shouldn't have taken him that long to acquire basic English. As for the number of teammates/coaches with a common language that's required to prevent isolation, that varies by player (it's partly dependent on his hidden Adaptability rating) from 1-5, so in this case he would've needed 3 or more Finnish speakers instead of just the 2.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:21 PM   #10
toddr037
Minors (Single A)

I had an issue with this too. For my WHL franchise, I created a kid from Canada. In the profile screen I went to edit and saw he was from Quebec and spoke only french. Lol. The guy i created is an actual player. Hes from Medicine hat, AB. I know he doesn't speak french. And yes on my WHL team i had a hard time keeping him happy and developing him because he didn't speak the language.

Now what Ive done for other players Ive created, is Always set the original nationality to USA. By default, I find it always creates an English speaking player. I just edit the player from there and change nationality and birthplace. Not having any more isolation issues or developing issues.
toddr037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:45 PM   #11
GeologyIsOK
Bat Boy

Yup. Used multiple high draft picks on German-speaking players. Even with two German-speaking coaches, all three German-speaking players on the NHL roster are isolated. I'm at the point of starting a new game where I only draft English-speakers.
GeologyIsOK is offline   Reply With Quote