Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:11 PM   #1
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Has Pitcher Stamina Been Fixed?

This is from OOTP 19. Pitcher is rated a 11 out of 20 for Stamina. Manager strategy for SP pitching hook is as far right as possible. Individual player strategy for this specific pitcher is as far right as possible. Hook for starting pitchers in the game settings is +2 (slower) and yet this guy can't throw more than 80ish pitches. There was no rain delay, was 100% rested
Attached Images
Old 03-28-2019, 11:23 PM   #2
endgame
Hall Of Famer

I don't see anything there of compelling concern, at least where Stamina might be suspect of contribution.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:35 PM   #3
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

I don't know...if the guy's pitch counts aren't in the 80-85 range, I'd think he should be able to throw 100 pitches if he's cruising. But it's always dangerous to make that kind of call on just a screen shot.
RonCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:50 PM   #4
Arobbins
Minors (Double A)

Nope.
Arobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:01 AM   #5
christophermichaels
Minors (Double A)

I haven’t seen any issues with stamina for SP. in fact, I haven’t seen this issue in some time. I can’t speak to the particulars of your case based on your screen shot or blurb you provided. What I can tell you is that I get 90 - 110 pitches out of my starters most every game. Like clockwork.
christophermichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:21 AM   #6
Grafton19
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanstephans View Post
I haven’t seen any issues with stamina for SP. in fact, I haven’t seen this issue in some time. I can’t speak to the particulars of your case based on your screen shot or blurb you provided. What I can tell you is that I get 90 - 110 pitches out of my starters most every game. Like clockwork.
I have teams set where they get 120-135.. Not a issue at all
Grafton19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Looking at his numbers it would appear in general that he's being pulled because he's been ineffective, not for lack of stamina. Hard to tell about the last good game he pitched. It's just one game. If he's consistently getting pulled from games when he's pitching well then you can say it's a problem.

Last edited by Curve Ball Dave; 03-29-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Curve Ball Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:45 PM   #8
DawnBTVS
Major Leagues

He had a couple games over 90 pitches but trying to judge anything without peeking at the 1-100 rating itself makes a judgement call such as this really hard.

Also given that it's 2017, him going 5-6 IP and 82-90 pitches with that Stamina level doesn't seem that abnormal in my book.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...&t=p&year=2017 Clayton Kershaw was usually around 90-104 in 2017 irl and significantly went 6-7 IP for most of his starts and he's a stud.
DawnBTVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:15 AM   #9
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, this isn't an isolated issue. I've been playing the same way since 2016. The pitchers don't go as long
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 04-06-2019, 07:47 AM   #10
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

play a game and see when he gets tired -- then, you can see if it's AI-related or stamina related.

can make a bug report of some sort with good info for them to use.

the bottom screenshot could have had a bad innning at end or in trouble etc... if it's universally like that for all pitchers in leauge, i'd agree, though. 30*4*5=600 is enough games.. .4-5 isn't.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-06-2019 at 07:48 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:21 AM   #11
Clavette
Major Leagues

I've changed the pitchers stamina each time I create a game. The very low setting seems wrong to me
Clavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

that is only related to recovery.

i think how many pitches can be thrown they throw is the modifier or there's another drop down on left that relates to stamina? if they recover from exhausted in 5 days (or a bit less) the 'very low' is working as in the past.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #13
Clavette
Major Leagues

It's not related to recovery. I put it on normal and it still takes the 4 rest days for them to heal up. It does however make a difference on the amount of fatigue in game on the pitchers
Clavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #14
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
play a game and see when he gets tired -- then, you can see if it's AI-related or stamina.
I’ve been playing since OOTP since 3, and since OOTP 16 the same way. OOTP 19 was the first time that playing this way has started to turn me off towards the game.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:29 PM   #15
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I’ve been playing since OOTP since 3, and since OOTP 16 the same way. OOTP 19 was the first time that playing this way has started to turn me off towards the game.
I've been playing for ten years and my first initial impression was that the AI was letting starters go a bit farther than in 19 so...

However, I have had some of the same questions as you in relation to the effect of those sliders.

Last edited by Dyzalot; 04-06-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:28 AM   #16
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

This is my take on where SP stamina may not be as realistic as I'd like. This is coming purely from someone simming MLB quick starts. My gut instinct is that the AI puts too much emphasis on pitch count and not enough on current game performance when determining whether to pull a starting pitcher or not. It seems like, and I concede that this is totally susceptible to confirmation bias, but still it seems like I see way too many instances where the AI pulls a pitcher with 85+ pitches thrown through 6 innings where maybe he's given up a run or two and not enough instances where the pitcher has thrown less than 70 pitches but has given up five or more runs through the first four innings and often is up there batting in the 5th in a NL game. I almost never see the AI pull a guy with less than 70 pitches thrown where I think to myself "a MLB manager would have left him in". I almost never see the AI leave guys in with 100+ pitch counts where I think to myself "a MLB manager would have pulled him by now".

To me the AI should be more willing to let pitchers approach that 110-120 pitch mark if they are cruising along but also more willing to pull them earlier than the pitch count might say when they are getting shelled early and you are already down like 5-2 in the top of the 5th or something. Again, just my "two cents" based upon watching how the AI handles starters over the years of OOTP.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:17 AM   #17
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

all i mean is - are they getting tired and forcing a decision or are they being pulled for other causes.

if the high end guys can still get to ~120, and the 50/100 guys can still get to 106-ish, that portion is unchanged. it'll help them deduce what is going wrong. they know it's ai choices that need to be tweaked and not the stamina. at this point, i'm sure they already know what to look at, obviously. you don't want to waste time looking at irrelevant code to fix the problem.

and that drop-down defeintiely controls sp recovery, unless they changed it this year. it never changed # of pitches they could throw. that was a 2nd setting somewhere. maybe i misstated the labels on them, but only 2 so easy to figure out which is which with a little trial and error. *plus a league modifier that usally stays 1.000.

in the past:
from "very low" to next step up (low?), it's a shorter recovery only for upper-echelon stamina ratings. those guys could go on three days rest if not over-burdened in last start *(a bit less likely to be ready than an appropriate 4-man setting - going beyond slightly tired has a more detrimental on recovery at "low" and 3 days rest), but other lower stamina guys will only be ~70?-80% recovered, all other factrors the same. this may have changed recently, if you have different results. the next notch up should be 3days rest/4-man rotation, but you still have to tell ai to use 4 or 5 man rotation, elsewhere in settings, or a 5-man with that setting will have a lot of #1-3 guys in rotation skipping over other starters, unless "strict rotation" used.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-07-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:21 AM   #18
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
i bet they fix it... give it time. this is the joy of playing ootp?? in april. while smooth, in general, bumps always occur each year... some larger than other years.

i avoid it like the plague each to their own.

do a little trial and error with that LTM or pitcher stamina setting not relate dto rotation size-- whatever it's called. maybe that'll bump it up for you in the meantime. but, if it is due to AI decisions and not fatigue, this likely won't have any effect.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-07-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #19
Grafton19
Major Leagues

I have seen pitchers go too many pitchers depending on coaching settings of teams. It’s just fine imo
Grafton19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #20
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Also, important to ask, is this a non-DH league? Because if it is, it's probably more likely that he's getting pulled because his spot in the order might be due up.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote